1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prophecy?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by baptistk, Oct 31, 2004.

1. baptistk

baptistk New Member

I recently have read a library book about the RMS Titanic. The book said that in 1898, a writer named Morgan Robertson published a story called Futility. It told of a ship named Titan who on its maiden voyage hits an iceberg and sinks. The ship does not have enough life boats and a great number of lives are lost.
    The company that built the Titanic announced their plans to build Titanic in the year 1907. In the years following they made the plans and in 1909 construction began. The Titanic set sail in 1912. What does everyone think about this?

2. Brother Tim

Brother Tim New Member

I wish I had the names and titles. I read about a German artist in the 20's painting an image of Dresden being bombed and consumed by a firestorm.
    Years later, Dresden was firebombed in the later stages of the war. Although most German cities were bombed, Dresden is of particular note. There was nothing of strategic interest there. No factories, refineries or troop concentrations. Dresden was an historic city and a popular destination for tourism, famous for the porcelin figurines made there. Because of the lack of strategic recources there, Germany used Dresden as a settlement for refugees evacuated from other cities and a number of Allied POW's.
    Dresden was targeted by allied bombers with the target being the population to the dismay of Germany and many of the Allies as well. The bombers carried incidearies to reap maximum destructive potential on human targets. The temperatured were so high that people in bomb shelters were literaly melted in a gelatenous mass of putrifying flesh and bones. This action troubled so many in the Allied powers that no campaign citation for British bomber crews was authorised after the war. The gruesome death of thousands all at once might make a great shockwave before it happens.
    Years before the war, the painting of Dresden in flames was considered in bad taste by some kook artist.

Most of us have some premanition at least once in our lives. That opens the gates of speculation.

The Old Teatament has several exaples of premanition in dreams. Daniel of course, and Joseph. In the vision of the "feet of clay" it seems that the destiny of Babylon was pre-ordained. Perhaps some things are destined to occur and some people are aware of it. These events, great as an air disaster to small as thinking about someone and having them call you on the phone fall outside the limits of rationality.
    I think it lies outside the limits of our physical existance. I believe that time as we experience it(relative time: 12:33 PM comes before 12:34 and after 12:32) is constructed by out physical brains. But as we are also spiritual beings, at times we get flashes of the timeless plane. This isn't some psychic power that can or should be developed as such things can be exploited by demons to decieve.
    In Poe's "The tell-tale heart", the narrator is savoring the terror in the old man. His terror is described something like (I don't have the book at hand right now) Death stalks his victim with his dark shadow before him, enveloping the victim so that they are aware of that the end is at hand. Events might cast shadows before them as well.
    Or a firecracker bursts and the sound quickly deminishes after the exploding event. On the out-of-relative-time plane, there might be something of a pre-burst bang. The firecracker bursts, has bursted and will burst.
    Another book to check out would be "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. In that book, there are these aliens who experience time all at once rather than in relative time as we do. They see a person's life all at once with it's highs and lows contributing to the whole. They see stars as long, luminous strands of spaghetti rather than a single point.
    What is time to God? He's worshiped for all eternity in Heaven. Rev 4-8, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come".
    This subject is a real mindbender. It does make us aware of the limits of physical existance and aware of the reality of eternity. It calls into question the beliefs of athiests and Humanists as scientific dogma allows no room for questions of spirituality.
    I believe that any mystery involving preminition will be clarified at our passing. I also believe that the answer to the mystery is of no importance at that time.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it's coincidence.

4. Lori

Lori New Member

On this I agree with marcia that it is a coincidence. For one thing large ships built during that time era were commonly built with too few lifeboats for all the persons on board. This given that there would be practically no room on the decks if there were enough boats. On top of that the shipping lanes were farther up to the north than they are now so it was alot more likely that eventually a ship was going to hit some of that ice. As for the similarities in the name, that's a little harder to call to coincidence, but again I think the name may have been a lucky guess. How do we know that the people that made the titanic didn't decide to use the fake ship name Titan as a basis for naming their ship titanic? And as for the siniking on the maiden voyage part, captain Smith was under pressure from whats-his-name...the white star line rep to show off for the press.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Lori, Good points. I would also think the name "Titan" or "Titanic" would just be an obvious name for a huge, massive ship that would be considered unsinkable. This may have just been another coincidence.

6. baptistk

baptistk New Member

I honestly don't see how this could be a coincidence, but maybe I am wrong. :( Anyone else?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've heard the story before. I think it's an interesting coincidence.

BTW - we tend to think of a prophecy as a "prediction of something that will happen in the future". That's not a prophecy. Prophecy is stating something based on the present condition. Biblical prophecies are things that tells us about God based on the conditions of the time they were written. Most bible prophecies don't even concern the future. Remember, all Christians are invited by scripture to pray and prophesy. That doesn't mean that we're supposed to be fortune tellers.

This is a commen, but scripturally false, misconception that many Christians have.

[ November 02, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It if were a prophecy, the exact name of the ship, Titanic, would be given; the date of departure would be given; the date of sinking would be given; the number of people on board would be given; and perhaps the name of the company owning the ship and the captain's name would be given. That would be a prophecy, and only a prophecy that detailed and exact could come from God.

This was clearly a coincidence.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

AMEN Marcia. You got it right.

10. baptistk

baptistk New Member

OK! Thanks everyone.

11. baptistk

baptistk New Member

I have another question, many of the passengers of the ship had a queer feeling about the Titanic. Some the the passengers family woke up the night of the sinking feeling that the ship had sank. Ideas?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hind sight is 20/20. It's akin to us saying we had a "feeling" GW Bush was going to sin. It's a very subjective situation.