1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proportional Giving or Ten Percent

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I stand on what I wrote.
    Legalism goes beyond trying to get saved with it. It also involves trying to please God by adding to what he calls for. Tithing is legalism.

How about you showing me where the NT tells the church to tithe or to base the amount of giving on the tithe?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What I personally believe on the matter doesn't matter. I may or may not believe in tithing. That is not the point. If you want to know some arguments for tithing then go back and read the thread and read some of those who are in favor of it.

The fact is you are arguing from a false premise.
    You have a wrong definition.
    Legalism has only to do with salvation. If it is not related to salvation it is not legalism. That means that if tithing is not a requirement of salvation it has nothing to do with legalism.

Study Acts 15. The Judaizers demanded that all believers should be circumcised and keep the law or they could not be saved. This is what the council was about. The decision was no; they did not have to keep the law in order to be saved. That was legalism. It still is. Anything that adds to salvation is legalism.

No one here believes that. No one here believes that tithing is necessary for salvation, so don't say that it is legalistic; it isn't.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you have contended scripture does not teach a concept like "proportional giving," where does it teach this idea that "We're to give of our time, our talents, our personality?"

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If under the inferior covenant he commanded us to put murderers to death, how can we refuse to do at LEAST that instead of also executing pickpockets, forgerers, coveters, ...?

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree that anything that is added for the purpose of getting saved is legalism, but it does not end there. Trying to please God in any way above what he has stated as how to please Him is legalism. In this case tithing. No place does the NT teach that the church is to tithe or base their giving on the tithe in any way.
    While I agree that some people can be deceived into the false teaching of the tithe for the church, as I was until I read the bible, once it has been pointed out that the tithe is not for the church it becomes legalism if continued. Also any pastor or teacher who stands and teaches the tithe unless he has not read the bible on NT church giving is teaching legalism if he teaches the tithe or to use the tithe as a way to determine how to give.
    The tithe is bondage given under the law and to hold any resemblance of the tithe is bondage and legalism. If God wanted us to look to the tithe He would have said so but He gave another way for the church and it is impossible to follow what He prescribed for the church while looking to the tithe fore any guidance.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No sense in carrying on the same conversation in two threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.