1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pros and Cons of Mission Boards

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bapmom, Nov 6, 2005.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Maybe we're getting complacent in general, but in specifics, that's not true here. In the last year alone, we have been the sending church for 4 different missionaries going to Italy, Jamaica, Sao Tome, and 29 Palms California. I know we've got at least one couple about to go on deputation who are going to Nepal. We've had no more than 1 or 2 missionaries drop off the ranks in 6 years.

Amen!

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I know ccrobinson. Thats how it is with us, too.

We've added several missionaries over the last couple years, and only taken one or two off. One was because he's a church planter here in the states and his church became able to pay him a salary.

We have put one couple on that is actually going out from England though! That was exciting, to see someone coming here, who started out in our own missionry's church, and was now on deputation to go to Brazil!

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike, I believe you mean me rather than JohnV who is not posting on this thread? No offense taken.

I have no brief against local church-sent missionaries. No doubt many, including you, are square in the middle of God's will by going in that direction. And I certainly agree that God can do everything. I'm speaking practically, not theologically when I say that there are some things that are more difficult (I don't think I said impossible in my previous post) for a local church.

Speaking strictly from my perspective in Japan, on potential problem is that many local churches do not follow through on accountability issues. I know two cases on our island where church-sent missionaries were immoral, one being so for years, and their local churches did not take responsibility.

I am certainly not suggesting that us who go through a mission board are more moral. And there are also some excellent church-sent missionaries here in Japan. I'm only saying that our board, anyway, has more means to check on accountability and take appropriate action.

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello! I've been reading the two "pros and cons" threads concerning deputation and missions boards and I have to say that I'm so in agreement with Bro Mike here.

I can only see that many of the problems that all of you raised (eg. apathy of churches, etc.) will be solved if only we followed the Bible way: home church support! (Perhaps "sister" churches as well.)

I wonder if, for the missionaries represented here, if their own home churches were to take away the 50 missionaries they support and fully take on one of their own home grown missionaries, could they have gotten out on the field without the lengthy, heart-wrenching deputation?
    Would their home church be spiritually apathetic towards one of their own and the growth of their mission work?
    Can't the own home church trust the doctrines and practices that their own home grown missionaries be preaching out there on the field?

Is deputation an American phenonmenon? This deputation thing would not work in my country, small as it is... [​IMG]
    Anyway, my own pastor believes in supporting its own missionaries (financially, spiritually, emotionally) and that gives me an amount of comfort to know who (my own dear church family) is holding the other end of the rope should the Lord call us to the mission field. [​IMG]

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thats wonderful, Su Wei!

There are some practical "cons" to having only one church be responsible for full financial support, which is why many missionaries steer away from it. The main one I can think of now is if that church goes under, or has some severe financial setbacks, the missionary would have to come back home, because they would automatically lose ALL of their support.
    As it is, missionaries have to come home periodically to raise more support because of inflation, and churches no longer being able to support them.
    There are also many churches that cannot afford to fully support a missionary family all by themselves, but their people want to be involved somehow in sending people to foreign fields.

We always have one sending church, too, like you said. That church is the one responsible for many things in the missionary's ministry.....oftenttimes they put out the missionary's newsletters, they provide emotional support from the missionary's own church family (like you said), and they keep other churches apprised of any situations which may arise.
    They just are usually not the sole church responsible for them financially.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

As one who is a church sent missionary (no board) I would have to say that there are risks to what we do. But isn't that what faith is all about. We ask the churches to give by faith to support us, why should we not live by faith trusting God in every area of our lives? John, I hope you undertsand that I am not a crusader for my position any more than you are for yours. Each of us will stand before God and give account. Having said that, I am in the middle of God's will for "my" life, not anyone elses.

To have only one church support you Sue, can have its advantages and disadvantages, like bapmom said. One disadvantage is that we do not have a body of brethren praying for us the way we do when we have a group of churches supporting us. I have met some tremendous brothers and sisters while on deputation and reporting back to my churches. I would not trade that two years experience for anything. While I was passing through it I wanted it to just be done. Looking back, I have a real appreciation for it.