1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Protest over police shooting in Missouri leads to riots, looting, vandalism...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Aug 11, 2014.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/thousands-gather-vigil-missouri-man-24923007

Look I understand the anger over the shooting of an unarmed black teen in Ferguson, MO, but why does rioting always turn into a free-for-all where people vandalize local businesses to loot and steal as much as they can carry, or pack into their cars and trucks?

I witnessed this very same behavior as a teen in Southern California during the riots in Watts, and it seems that 50 years later, citizens have still not learned personal restraint and respect for other peoples property while showing their displeasure and anger over a wrong to a member of their race.

Of course, this is not just a black issue, last year at the end of the National Surf Competition in Huntington Beach, CA; riots, looting and vandalism broke out in the upper class beach resort, and those participating were from all races! http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/29/us/california-huntington-beach-rampage/ And the majority of those shown on television were not locals, nor were they from the surf culture! They came down, some through flash mob notices, to loot and vandalize!

Looting and vandalism only hurts those who run the businesses, and to be honest; it seems like the crowds feed INTO the frenzy with the hope of a free trip to the market to grab all they can carry! Looting and vandalism do nothing to serve the memory of the victims of wrong doing. And for sure they don't serve to right the wrong! So I ask: why do people still crave a good old fashioned riot? Is it to destroy and pillage, or do they truly care about the victim and family, and more importantly, righting the wrong????

Is this as much a primal thing as it is a cultural fact? And how does society go about bringing an end to this anti-social behavior?

#1 righteousdude2, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, protest wrong action by participating in wrong action.

More mob action than individuals thinking about what they are doing.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Low class, and I do not speak of their economic level.