1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Protestant Purgatory?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Linda64, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Amen! And, as we're told in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

What happens if we don't confess our sins?

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Oh, come on, James! It's not works when it fits into the person's theology who's posting it! Works aren't really works. Remember?

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Let's see, I'm too cheap to pay for cable, so I don't watch TV, except that I did order the F1 racing season on DVD, so perhaps I've watched little enough TV that I can earn my way into heaven?

Oh, wait, it gets better: I own my own business, so I'm not stealing time from my employer (although he's a bit of a jerk at times), so perhaps this is enough to earn my way into heaven?

Well, that jerk is calling me to get back to work, so I have to go until later in the day...

4. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Nice evasive technique there.

I am sure there are things you do outside of work that are pleasurable and time consuming. Do you give equal time to God in prayer for each of these things?

How long did you watch the F1 DVD? On the same day did you give God equal or more time in Prayer and Worship?

#44 Inquiring Mind, Oct 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You are right, all these things have to come into play, but they must be rightly divided and correctly applied.

1 John 4:10
    10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

The ultimate punishment for sins is done away with. The believer will not spend eternity in the lake of fire, which the justice of God would demand. He is the propitiation for our sins in that regard, and we will not be the propitiation for our own sins in purgatory because they are already propitiated for. But we have conditional promises that we can fall short of. These promises are only to the believer. A believer may be in danger of hellfire for not living a holy life, and the question of how holy is not an argument against it. But that does not mean that going into that hellfire is somehow affecting the redemptive work of our eternal salvation. But lets assume that it somehow does have something to do with our redemption. The bible does not say that all believers must go through the fires of hell to be redeemed. Some believers will not suffer there, but will be exalted in glory with Christ to reign with Him during the millennium. So either these people were purged beforehand, or there is no merit to the idea that we must be purged to enter eternity.

Hebrews 1:3
    3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

My sins are purged. Nevertheless, I may suffer loss for my sins at the judgment seat of Christ.

6. Inquiring Mind

Where one will suffer loss is not clear.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

One may very well suffer loss in this life for sins, but the context of 1Cor 3, suffering loss is at the judgment of believers.

8. Inquiring Mind

Twins are separated at birth;

A gets a good christian family. A becomes saved at an early life. Lives a christian life.

B gets a sinful family. B lives a life of sin.

A and B end up in the Hospital on their death beds at a ripe old age of 100. A helps brings B to Jesus. B gets saved.

1 minute later A and B die.

What happens to each person.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

They each appear before the judgment seat of Christ.

10. Inquiring Mind

True, and they may also suffer loss in the next life.

I kill a man.

I ask Jesus to forgive me.

Jesus does forgive me.

Should I turn myself into the authorities for punishment?

or

Do I say to myself: "The slate is wiped clean by the blood of Jesus" and keep quiet?

11. Inquiring Mind

Where is the Judgement Seat of Christ?

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The bible is clear that we will reap what we sow. If you murder someone, and have repented of it, you should probably turn yourself in as part of bringing forth fruits meet for repentance. But what does this have to do with the subject at hand?

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Here, there, or in the air? It's wherever the Lord sits down to judge His people. Better question is when is the judgment seat of Christ.

Hebrews 10:30
    30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    2 Timothy 4:1
    1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

14. Inquiring Mind

Why do I need to bring forth fruits of repentance if Christ has made atonement for my sin and any futrue sin I may commit prior to my death?

What does this have to do with Purification? We will get to it.

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Oh, thats easy. So you don't go to hell.

16. Inquiring Mind

Why would I go to hell? Jesus has forgiven the Sin. Jesus has made atonement for the Sin.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yes, he has. But we can still be chastened as children of God, even though we will never experience the eternal lake of fire. That is where you and I agree. Where you and I disagree is that this chastening is somehow affecting our salvation.

18. Inquiring Mind

You have not answered the question. You said I would go to hell for not turning myself in. Therefore you are saying that the sin requires temporal punishment.

19. Inquiring Mind

Can he not chasten us after death?

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Of course He can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.