1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Protestant South Becoming a New Catholic Stronghold

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by WestminsterMan, May 10, 2013.

1. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Roman Catholic anti-Christ America? Please... I would never be part of something like you describe. Since I am, then it's not.:cool:

Look, there are plenty of other places to look for anti-Christs in the world.

Don't believe me? Just tune into TBN.

WM

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Hmmm... Maybe the RCC can buy Graceland for when the Pope comes over for a visit. Also heard Nick Saban has a home for sale in GA, but at a price tag of only $11 million it may not have the amenities that the RCC hierarchy is accustomed to.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rimson-tide-selling-lake-front-estate-georgia

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Bob Ryan provided some statistics about growth rates and declines among different denominations. This is some satire about the PC USA:

http://www.larknews.com/archives/556

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do the true baptists, those who are not Protestant, figure into this statistical prittle prattle? They are the ones who were persecuted by Rome, Wittenburg, Geneva and Canterbury.

Jesus promised to keep His Bride through the gates of hell. He has kept His promise. The Bride, The Faith, will be here when Jesus returns. He promised.

He is faithful even when we are not.

Now what?

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your total premise about the Baptist Confession of Faith is flawed. We are seperate autonomous churches, as the NT model shows. It is unlike yours, with a man made hierarchy that serves no purpose and is unBiblical. Our plan of salvation and yours is quite distinct. Ours is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Yours is a gospel of works, specifically magic acts.

Whatever the numbers are, it is God's plan. I grew up in Gulfport, MS and have lived in West Kentucky for 37 years, and I see no evidence of an increase in Catholic population. Catholics tend to gather into small communities. For example, here is West Kentucky, there is a town called Fancy Farm that is 100% Catholic. That has been around for many years. There is just no evidence for the theme of the thread.

The clear distinction you speak of is quite simple. Our salvation is based on grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Yours is based on works, specifically magic acts.

#25 saturneptune, May 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I agree that the RCC numbers are inflated and that many millions on their books are at present also being counted as members of other denominations - because they have left the catholic faith of their infancy.

But still Southern Baptist and other evangelical groups are reporting a decline (so also in the Catholic church declining in the North East and mid-west according to that article) - but in the south the RCC is growing.

in Christ,

Bob

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And the SBC has admitted counting people who have not been attending church for years. My former Baptist church continues to keep me on the rolls even though I have informed them of my conversion to the Catholic Church.

Overall, the Catholic Church in the U.S. continues to grow. In my home town we have built yet another church and all three parishes still have overflow crowds at almost all masses. Very large amount of protestant converts as well.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Give one specific example of an explosion in Catholic population in the Southern or Border states (ie the Bible Belt) In Western Kentucky, the trend is exactly the opposite.

If your former Baptist church continues to keep you on the rolls, then they are violating their own bylaws. All Baptist churches have a time limit for non attendence and non support. It is usually around one year. As far as you informing a Baptist church that you have joined an apostate church, that makes no difference as far as on or off the rolls. You should have been automatically taken off for non support. The only types of churches that Baptist churches are interested in transferring letters are churches of like faith and order.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have been counting numbers for Sunday School population for years, and that is just not true. I go through the classrooms twice before I report the numbers. What purpose would inflated numbers solve? Just any jab you can make, huh?

10. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, and it has become clear that ANYTHING a Catholic states on this board you will call a lie regardless of the facts.

http://theworldfrommywindow.blogspot.com/2008/08/tom-ascol-southern-baptists-and.html

http://www.baptistpress.com/bpnews.asp?ID=21189

http://www.founders.org/library/elliff1.html

Churches with 600 on the rolls and where 200 regularly attend. Take away the guests and visitors and what do you have?

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Catholics need a "stronghold" well then that says all that is needed to be said.

12. WestminsterMan

You can read, correct? I know that you can't handle this - but it is what it is. With that you must deal... or ignore... or scream and shout that it's not happening. They say denial is the first stage of grief. Hmmm...

WM

13. WestminsterMan

Democracy is the stronghold of freedom. Ultimately, I see a parrallel between Rome with the early Church and the Southern US with the RCC in that the Roman's persecution of the Church eventually caused Rome to be subsummed by the Church, just as the govenrnment here in the South did everything in its power to stop the Catholic church. Just look at the linkage between Protestant Churches here in the south (and yes - that would be predominatly the Baptists) and the KKK from its inception. And that my brother IS historical fact.

WM

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure ow you are making that connection. But the Catholic church is not being persecuted in the south. Never has.

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I consider that many Catholic Publications, EWTN presentations all come from the Southern States. It really is no suprise to me that there is a growing Church there. However, to put things into perspective, in a lot of North Eastern States Catholic numbers are falling in large measure. And in the United States it seems that the only reason there is any growth in the Catholic Church is the number of Central and South American immigrants coming into the country whose Catholic practices differ somewhat from Traditional North American Catholics.

16. WestminsterMan

What? Sadly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Like I said... if you're even remotely interested in historical facts - and I'm a country boy from Alabama so I KNOW from where of I speak - then go and research how the KKK controlled the Southern governments and how they used the southern Protestant churches to to get hold of that power through recruitment in those Churches, most of which were Baptist. You have seen the photos of the KKK marching down Pennsylvania avenue in their thousands AND have read how they even had strong holds in the White House haven't you? The only group that they hated more than blacks, where Catholics - and they WERE the government in the South.

Might I recommend to you the recently published book entitled: "Rising Road: A True Tale of Love, Race, And Religion in America" by Sharon Davies. It deals with this very subject here in Alabama, the South, and the entire country.

It's just US History 101 really.

Please don't take offense at this. I am not calling you stupid - I'm only depicting your apparent ignorance of the facts, or your recalcitrance of them.

WM

#36 WestminsterMan, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While I do not doubt that the SBC numbers are not 100% accurate, and while I have seldom seen saturneptune appeal to more than sloganeering, pulpit pounding and name calling to prop up an idea, I think we both know that on this point of accuracy in tracking those who stop holding to the faith of a given church - the SBC has a practice that is far more accurate than the RCC "counting births" and then not following up on what happens after that.

What if that was all the SBC did - "count births" and assume that any and everyone that ever WERE SBC or were in an SBC household - are still SBC to this very day? Imagine how many 100's of millions MORE they could claim as SBC today! It is undeniable. If all Christian churchs did that the Christian membership claims could exceed the population of the earth itself.

I think we all know that this is not the SBC practice.

So this is not a point where the RCC policy and practice it going to win out with a claim to "just as much" or more accuracy than groups like the SBC.

#37 BobRyan, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is an article on money and the RCC - that inadvertantly exposes this item about membership in the U.S

So the baptism numbers are off by at least 25%.

Now lets ask about those who "Claim" to be Catholic vs those that actually attend church.

A number of people "claim" to be Baptist but are not on the books as members because they do not attend. In many cases it means they were raised Baptist.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KKK persecuted a lot of people. But the Catholic church was nothing different than anyone else who did not agree with them. Let's not act like they were singled out by anyone least of Baptists. I know all about the KKK as I grew up with them on every corner in the state of Florida.

And by the way they were not only in Baptist churches. Maybe you should do more research.

20. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, Bob, I can tell you what I see. What I see here locally is that the Catholic Churches are packed and overflowing on Sundays and the local Baptist churches have lots of empty pews. I'm involved in secular programs that meet in several of the Baptist churches and I sometimes address their Sunday congregations. One Baptist church has a sanctuary that once held 750 people. On any given Sunday morning they are fortuanate if they have 70 in the pews. All the local Baptist churches are less than half filled on Sundays. I think that speaks for itself.