1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 1...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Larry, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Would anyone be interested in a verse be verse discussion on Proverbs? Proverbs is one of my favorite books in the Bible and I have often wondered what others take on some of the verses was.

For example:
    Proverbs 26:4-5
    Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

One of the good things about a BB is iron sharpens iron and a multitude of counselors etc.

What do you think?

I will just start it and if it's dies it dies.

Prov.1

[1] The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
    [2] To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
    [3] To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
    [4] To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

“The proverbs of Solomon” first thought, “prove-rbs” it's got the word prove in it. I'm thinking of how God proved the children of Israel in the wilderness or the proving ground in the old Ford truck commercials. I will look proverbs up in my Noah Webster 1828 and see if I can find out the root word origin and what “rbs” means. Yes I do have Hebrew and Greek resources but I'm much more familiar with English. I wish I had a better grasp of the English Language. Second thought: Solomon was the guy that asked God for wisdom. I reckon God gave him wisdom but..... any one care to take up that one?

The rest of verse one seem straight forward enough. I guess V2 on indicated the things that proverbs is supposed to impart. Now, excluding the words “to, and, the, of” dose anyone have any thoughts on what these words mean, or have anything to add or agree/disagree with?

PS: I'm trying to teach the book to my 7y/o so if you can help me come up with ways to explain things to a 7y/o (like: “daddy, what are tables of your heart”) that would be welcome.

#1 Larry, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think that is a wonderful idea. Too bad nobody has taken you up on the idea. I would but I am just too busy right now to dedicate myself to such a long term thing.

My pastor is going through Proverbs on Sunday nights. With his messages he generally uses outlines that he puts in the bulletin. However he stopped doing that in his Proverbs series a few months ago. Now he just goes verse by verse until he finds a good stopping point. We have been in Proverbs for a while now and I think we are working on our third Sunday night in Proverbs 10.

Proverbs is a wonderful treasure.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I always like a good Bible study.

However, it is my felling we have already gone to fast. To do this the right way, it is my feeling we spend some time on what Biblical Poetry is, how to read them and how to apply them.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These verses tell me that we have to be taught how to think. There are some things that even in our spiritually blind and deaf existence we can discern by nature. But wisdom and understanding is taught.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The make up of the word proverb is from "pro" + "verb". "Verbum" is the Latin word for "word". The prefix "pro-" usually means before or in front of. A common synonym for proverb is "byword" which closely resembles the breakdown of the parts of the word proverb.

The Online Etymology Dictionary describes the word proverb as literally meaning "words put forward".

#5 Gold Dragon, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  6. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you:godisgood:

7. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The above verses could mean two things: 1). That you can't win with a fool. If you try to answer him, you just become entangled in nonsense (kind of like some BB members), but if you let him go, he is off to his own distruction and possibly that of others. Or, 2). There is a time for one and a time for the other, but one must be very wise in deciding how to handle the fool. Sometimes he must be answered, while other times, he should be avoided.

The word 'proverb' means 'a word [or words] for you' or 'a word to you.' However, I like your comment about 'proving-grounds,' and I think a word study on 'prove' would 'prove' to be quite interesting...

You have very good thoughts and questions; your 7-yr-old will be a 'thinker,' I think.

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Right. We have a saying at work: Don't try to correct the stupid because they will out-stupid you. That might be a little too rude for this forum, but I think it holds true. My experience tells me that there are some people (not many) that cannot be talked to or reasoned with and that you should avoid such people b/c when you try to help them, they'll call YOU stupid.

Also from a purely experiential standpoint, those who are smart or wise, want to be that way and those that are foolish want to be the way.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just found this one today, so will be participating. I just need time to digest & think a bit to give a comprehendable comment.
    I ain't one of those "fast" thinkers; I have to ponder a bit!

Proverbs is one of, if not THE, favorite book, as 3:5-6 came through for me once years ago in a personnel conflict at work.