1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 13:22

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Mar 31, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

22 A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous.

I have been hearing quite frequently this verse being used in regards to a believers finances. The logic usually goes like this "The Bible tells us we should be saving enough to pass on to our grandchildren, therefore we should avoid any kind of debt whatsoever".

I don't see this verse saying that at all. First, any inheritance will go to your children first, and we cannot be held accountable for how they spend it. If my parents leave me their house when I die, I can squander that money, or use it wisely in order to leave some to my children. If I save every last penny, I cannot support missions or my local church.

Thoughts?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we sin we hurt ourselves and those we love. So the legacy of the righteous, is not worldly treasure, but spiritual treasure. A wicked man's wealth - what he could have stored in heaven as his spiritual treasure - goes to those whose treasure is in heaven.

We are to be prudent, count the cost, play by the rules and work hard. We are a new creation created for good works. But the works need to be eternal, like helping our kids and grandkids to come to Jesus, and our treasure will be great in heaven. God Bless

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the Hebrew, does "inheritance" mean money?

4. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I looked it up and this is what i found....

INHERITANCE ( http://www.bible-history.com/isbe/I/INHERITANCE/ )

in-her'-i-tans (nahalah, "something inherited," "occupancy," "heirloom," "estate," "portion"): The word is used in its widest application in the Old Testament Scriptures, referring not only to an estate received by a child from its parents, but also to the land received by the children of Israel as a gift from Yahweh. And in the figurative and poetical sense, the expression is applied to the kingdom of God as represented in the consecrated lives of His followers. In a similar sense, the Psalmist is represented as speaking of the Lord as the portion of his inheritance. In addition to the above word, the King James Version translations as inheritance, morashah, "a possession," "heritage" (Dt 33:4; Ezek 33:24); yerushshah, "something occupied," "a patrimony," "possession" (Jdg 21:17); cheleq, "smoothness," "allotment" (Ps 16:5); kleronomeo, "to inherit" (Mt 5:5, etc.); kleronomos, "heir" (Mt 21:38, etc.); kleronomia, "heirship," "patrimony, "possession"; or kleros, "an acquisition" "portion," "heritage," from kleroo, "to assign," "to allot," "to obtain an inheritance" (Mt 21:38; Lk 12:13; Acts 7:5; 20:32; 26:18; Gal 3:18; Eph 1:11,14,18; 5:5; Col 1:12; 3:24; Heb 1:4; 9:15; 11:8; 1 Pet 1:4).
    The Pentateuch distinguishes clearly between real and personal property, the fundamental idea regarding the former being the thought that the land is God's, given by Him to His children, the people of Israel, and hence, cannot be alienated (Lev 25:23,28). In order that there might not be any respecter of persons in the division, the lot was to determine the specific piece to be owned by each family head (Nu 26:52-56; 33:54). In case, through necessity of circumstances, a homestead was sold, the title could pass only temporarily; for in the year of Jubilee every homestead must again return to the original owner or heir (Lev 25:25-34). Real estate given to the priesthood must be appraised, and could be redeemed by the payment of the appraised valuation, thus preventing the transfer of real property even in this case (Lev 27:14-25). Inheritance was controlled by the following regulations: (1) The firstborn son inherited a double portion of all the father's possession (Dt 21:15-17); (2) the daughters were entitled to an inheritance, provided there were no sons in the family (Nu 27:8); (3) in case there were no direct heirs, the brothers or more distant kinsmen were recognized (27:9-11); in no case should an estate pass from one tribe to another. The above points were made the subject of statutory law at the instance of the daughters of Zelophehad, the entire case being clearly set forth in Nu 27; 36.
    Frank E. Hirsch

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is teaching from Charles Bridges

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist