1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 17

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by C.S. Murphy, Oct 2, 2003.

1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.
    Prov 17:8

I have been seeking help with the meaning of this verse, anybody got a good answer.

Murph

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A bribe works like a charm for the one who offers it; in whatever he does he succeeds.
    — NET Bible

A bribe is like a magic stone in the eyes of the one who gives it; wherever he turns he prospers.
    — English Standard Version

A bribe is a charm in the sight of its owner; Wherever he turns, he prospers.
    — NASB

A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever he turns, he succeeds.
    — NIV

A bribe is like a bright, precious stone that dazzles the eyes and affects the mind of him who gives it; [as if by magic] he prospers, whichever way he turns.
    — Amplified Bible

NET Bible notes:

Heb "a stone of favors." The term ("bribe") could be simply translated as a gift; but the second half of the verse says that the one who offers it is successful. At best it could be a gift that opens doors; at worst it is a bribe. The word is never used of a disinterested gift, so there is always something of the bribe in it (e.g., Ps 15:5; Isa 1:23). Here it is "a stone that brings favor," the genitive being the effect or the result of the gift. In other words, it has magical properties and "works like a charm."

On the other hand, not translating as a bribe:

A present is a precious stone in the eyes of its possessor; Wherever he turns, he prospers.
    — New King James Version

— Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

3. Me2

Me2 New Member

the precious stone is a Gem stone.

imagine a woman who has a diamond ring. as she gazes into it. it refracts white light into its individual componentfrequencies. red,blue,yellow,green,purple,orange.

each color symbolizes the different attributes of Jesus Christ. The free Gift of God to Man

"whichever way you wish to look at the gem. it refracts a different (color) prespective of Jesus and brings a blessing to the beholder".

Jesus,..OUR Rock

Isa 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner [stone], a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Proverbs 17:8
    A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.

I take it to mean the following:

To a receiver, a gift is precious beyond its cost; this is true no matter who you give it to.

So, the prospering referred to is the increased value of the item in the receiver's eyes. I think both parts of the proverb are saying more or less the same thing in different words, a typical hebraism.

[ October 03, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]

5. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

A gift, one that is within a person, is held as a special thing from God. The one who has this gift will be content in life if he uses it for the benefit of himself and others. So, as a precious gem catches light as you turn it, so will the gift as others admire and accept it as a special thing given to few. Prosperity comes to the heart of the one who uses the gift for benefit.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

In this verse, the word is the Hebrew word, shachad {shakh'-ad}.

It is used 23 times in the Authorized Version (KJV).

gift 10, reward 7, bribes 3, present 2, bribery 1; 23

It seems to me that this verse could mean different things depending on whether "gift" or "bribe" is intended.

Murph: Have I confused you as much as I have confused myself? :confused:

[​IMG] §ue

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it (he) turneth, it (he) prospereth.

The Hebrew here is somewhat idiomatic IMO.
    This series of Proverbs are in an ironic vein:

16 Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it?

The "it"'s of "whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth" in verse 8 probably should be "he".

Or paraphrased:

A gift is precious to the gift-giver because where ever he goes he is respected and treated well.

In other words, the judgment of the gift-giver is clouded because everyone wants to please him to get the gift.

My opinion of course.

HankD