1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 22:6

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brutus, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last night I heard a well known evangelist say that Proverbs 22:6 was most deffinately a promise from God or else God was a liar.

Do you agree or disagree with him?

Brutus:saint:

2. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I know for a fact my brother was raised right by my Pastor/Preacher dad. He is strung out on drugs right now so you tell me? As in the other thread the poster said Proverbs are principles not promises and I agree.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've found that just because someone has a degree or stands on a platform doesn't automatically make them an authority. (I'm certain you agree...not being belligrent.) :)

It is a principle...not a promise. I know plenty of people whose sibling, raised in the same home, is a mess and they have it together. Hard to argue fact. :)

4. standingfirminChrist

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

This verse is both instruction and a promise from the Word of God. To say it is only a principle is wrong.

It is very true, that the child brought up to know what is sin and what is not will not depart from that teaching. He or she may still sin, but they will always remember that which they were taught... even if the memories haunt them. They cannot depart from that teaching.

It is definitely a promise from God that that one will not depart from that truth that that one knows. David said that he could hide nowhere without God being there. God would bring to mind His Word when David tried to hide, or David sinned.

No, one will not depart from that which one is taught.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My question is this:

How many parents have ever perfectly raised their kids?
    Answer? Zero.
    it is only By God's Grace that anyone serves God when they grow up.
    But them I am a calvinists so you who disagree can use your free will to throw bricks at me now :)

Here is another promise:
    Live a sinless life and you will live forever.

Now show me anyone who can go a day, much less a lifetime without sin?

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

What about the kid brought up Christian departing to be an athesist.

7. standingfirminChrist

The memories of how he was raised are still with him whether he wants to believe or not.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Good question.
    Remember it says: Train SO they....not train and they will NOT.

That is like saying: take aspiring so that your headache will go away vs saying "take aspirin AND your headache will go away.

One is principle and the other is promise.

I know a kid I grew up with, he used to post on the BB even. he is now an atheist.
    He grew up in a Christian home and in Church.
    Of course his parents made a lot of mistakes.

Either way, this is not something parents can reliably perform in their own strength.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, but he has departed from it.
    I don't want to raise my daughter so that when she is old, she will still remember a christian upbringing while living a sinful life, I want to raise my daughter SO that when she is old, she will not DEPART from it, that is her Christian faith.

Will I do that to perfection? No.
    if she becomes a fine Christian lady will I have room to boast because I "trained her up right?" no. it will be because of God's wonderful grace.

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

So it is a promise of "memories"? Like Dale said, what good is it to train a child up to remember a Christian life if they still go to hell?

Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

It says train him up in the way he should go and EVEN when he is old he won't depart from it. I see nothing about only remembering. It plainly says if you train him up in how he should go he WON'T depart. So, is it a promise or a principle. If you say promise, answer how the child raised christian ends up atheist?

#10 JerryL, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  11. standingfirminChrist

The memories follow that one even to hell. They cannot be escaped.

Read the account of the rich man and Lazarus.

One cannot depart from the teachings of one's youth.

12. readmore

readmore New Member

There's no end to the misinterpretations you must foist on the book of Proverbs to believe it's a book of commands and promises. I never understood this from the last thread--why are you so reluctant to admit that God gave part of His word in the form of proverbs? Every indication points to this, and you must torture the text to deny it.

"Train up a child in the way he should go", not "teach a child right and wrong," but train him how he should go, and he will not depart from it. The "promise" version would have to read:

Teach a child the things he should believe: and when he is old, he may depart from it, but he will always remember it.

Not much authority, huh? You emasculate the word of God.

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member

You tell me, where is the promise then? What good is it as a promise if the child ends up atheist? Where is the promise in that, that he will remember? A memory promise doesn't really do the parent or the child much good now does it? "I trained my child up in a Christian home, taught them to live right, but he died yesterday with an athestic belief."
    "Yea, but he had those memories of how you brought him up?"
    "He's in hell but, at least I had the promise of him having memories of how I brought him up Christian."

Your Proverbs theology has more holes in it than an onion sack SFIC. You stay right there in your own little world. :thumbs:

14. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prov.22:6

This particular evangelist went on to say; "if your child does not live the Christian life when they are old, then you as a parent have failed to train him/her properly."

Brutus

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Sounds like the evangelist you are talking about seems to have come right off TBN. Did he also say "If you're not rich, you didn't sow properly"? Or my personal favorite, "If you're sick, you must have sin in you're life or just not speaking you're faith in not being sick." That's what we need to hear our preacher tell us about the atheistic child, "You didn't raise him right."

16. standingfirminChrist

In John 17:17, Jesus stated that the Word is Truth. Any time the Word states something will happen, you'd better believe it will happen.

Proverbs 22:6 promises the child will not depart from its training when it is old. I believe it. God's Word does not lie.

You stay right there in your own little world.

#16 standingfirminChrist, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  17. JerryL

JerryL New Member

But, the promise doesn't mean that if you raise him Christian, he is going to be Christian. That's where the Church takes it out of context.

Edit: You skipped right over my previous post. Where is the promise then? That he will remember what he was taught, he just might not live by it. Show me the promise in that.

#17 JerryL, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  18. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prov.22:6

Sorry Jerry: He's not from any tv program. But he is straight from Tenn. and he is considered a Independent Fundamental Baptist.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Throwing a curve ball here. But, what of the elect? Isn't it in God's hands? Hasn't He chosen who is to be saved by His grace and who isn't? If this be the case, then how can this verse be a promise? For salvation and righteous living is not necessarily contingent on the parent's upbringing of that child but rather on whether has God chosen this child or not.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

For an excellent explanation of Proverbs 22:6, read this article by the late Dr. Bruce Lackey:

God's Promise About Children

WILL THE CHILDREN BE PERFECT?

The significance of this phrase will be seen when we consider the fact that many people do not believe Proverbs 22:6, because they have seen some child who was brought up in a Christian home turn out to be less than perfect. We seem to think that Prov. 22:6 is a promise of sinless perfection, so that if a child does anything wrong, either the verse is not true, or the child’s training was not scriptural. That mistake will be recognized and forsaken when we realize that “the way he should go” is the Lord’s way, but it does not mean sinless perfection. How can we be sure? By remembering that God said that Abraham’s children would keep His way; then by reading about the lives and doings of Isaac and Ishmael. They certainly were not perfect!

Thus by comparing Scripture with Scripture, we have learned, so far, that “the way he should go” is not his own way (Isaiah 53:6), but the Lord’s way (Gen. 18:19), and that keeping God’s way does not mean sinless perfection. What, then, does “keeping the Lord’s way” mean? It describes the worship of the true and living God. Both Isaac and Ishmael did some things wrong (see Gen. 16:12 & 26:7), but they never went after a false god.

Another good example is David. Even though Scripture records several of his sins (see 1 Sam. 27:8-12 for example), God describes his whole life in 1 Kings 15:5 by saying, “David did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.” Since “all scripture is inspired of God,” (2 Tim. 3:16) this must be a true description. There will be no problem if we remember that when God speaks of someone who has kept His way, or who has done right in His eyes, He is speaking of the worship of the true God as opposed to idols. David never turned aside from worshiping God and His commands regarding such.

To prove that “keeping God’s way” means worshiping Him as opposed to worshiping idols, we need only consider the description of Amon, in 2 Kings 21:21-22. “And he walked in all the way that his father walked in, and served the idols that his father served, and worshiped them: And he forsook the Lord God of his fathers, and walked not in the way of the Lord,” Clearly, “walking not in the way of the Lord” was equal to “serving idols.”

For an opposite example, let’s consider 2 Kings 22:2, describing Josiah; “And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the way of David his father, and turned not aside to the right hand or the left.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.