1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 22:6

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brutus, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely they are the word of God. The words are correct and they must be correctly interpreted in light of their historical context. Words on a page do not have meaning until they are understood in light of their correct historical context. For example if a man said to my wife, "I love you" it would get my attention very fast. If my daughter said the same words I would enjoy hearing that. The words I love you are meaningless unless they are properly understood in light of their historical context.

You have divorced Proverbs from its historical context. God's word was never intended to have that done to it.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

That's a real nice thing to say

I have never heard Tim elevate himself to the level of God, nor have I heard Ann ask a foolish question. You're really on a roll...

Back to topic, how many children do you have?

How do you reslove this passage with bi-racial couples who have children, specifically, black and white parents? I recall you said they shouldn't "breed"

My brother in law is schizophrenic, currently residing in a mental institution until he is fit to stand trial. How does he fit into this passage?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you say, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" are you a liar? That is much like what Proverbs is all about.

The Bible says he who does wrong will receive the consequences of that wrong and that without partiality. A far different scenario than excluding a child from his own personal responsibility before God as you suggest in your interpretation of Proverbs 22:6. If Proverbs 22:6 is a promise then it gives no personal responsibility to the child.

Isaiah 40:31 says you will mount up with wings as eagles too. Can you take that out of context and go to the bank? The Bible uses many figures of speech. Can you interpret figures of speech literally?

The Bible uses many figures of speech and idiomatic expressions. Nobody can interpret those literally and take them to the bank.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It seems like some are not willing to respect the different genres of the biblical documents.

We have law, poetry, proverbs, riddles, comedy, parables, prophecy, narratives, letters and so on. And we cannot interpret poetry as law or prophecy as comedy and so on.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

TCGreek:

You are right. Even the title on the Hebrew OT recognizes the differences in its writings. That goes back to the beginning of scripture--the law.

6. standingfirminChrist

It appears some don't believe God is true to the promises in His Word.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Why does the name Fred Phelps keep coming to my mind? :rolleyes:

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

No one distrusts the promises of God. What we distrust is what you hope is the promising way to understand Proverbs 22:6.

Please, explain to us: Why a godly couple can raise their son in a godly environment but he turns out to be a rebel, doing drugs and so on and then dies in a wreck?

9. standingfirminChrist

Maybe because you are infatuated with him or his teachings?

10. standingfirminChrist

They did not train him totally in the way he should go, else he would stay in that way.

God's Word does not lie, no matter how much you may think it does.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

That duck still ain't flying.

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

But TC, he REMEMBERED what they taught him.

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Your boat still don't float!

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The last time I went fishing my boat floated just fine. You didn't poke a hole in it did you? Anyway, I keep watching that duck and it won't take off.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

First up: Not because I don't agree with you that means you have the right to accuse me of thinking the word of God lies.

You don't have this right, no matter how much you may think you do.

Second, How do you know that the godly couple didn't train their child proper? Are you the omniscient one?

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I got you.

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

SFIC,

It the Proverbs are promises and not general truths as you say then how on earth do you explain this.

Prov 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    Prov 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Hmmmm... They are both the Word of God therefore they must be promises just like 22:6 according to your interpretation no?

18. standingfirminChrist

Of course not. But I do believe God's Word. He said the one trained in the way it should go will not depart from that way.

Now, either the one trained proper will not stray and God's Word is truth, or the one trained properly will stray and God's Word is a lie.

Which is it?

19. standingfirminChrist

Answer not a fool with a foolish answer or you look just as foolish.

Answer him with wisdom to show his idiocy.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would you interpret Proverbs 22:6 as a child who was perfect and without sin? If no then he was not trained perfectly?

So according to the way you interpret scripture then Jesus was not God because he raised up 12 disciples and one was a failure. He failed to raise up perfect disciples. Even the others were talking about who take the place of honor as the walked on the path. The truth is that He was and is God, absolutely perfect wisdom and truth. He is the truth, the way and the life. He failed? How?

If Jesus failed then my salavtion is worthless and my life is hopeless. Jesus is nothing more than a failure who claimed to be God. Makes absolutely no sense. Jesus never failed nor fails. If anyone could do it perfectly then it was Him. However you must have to say he did something wrong if one of his disciples betrayed him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.