1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Providential Hindrance(s)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by wpe3bql, Jun 23, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

More than likely we've either heard and/or used the expression "providential hindrance(s)" at one time or another.

We pretty much "know" what such an expression means, but, OTOH, I find no such expression actually used in my Bible.

Yeah, I know that the term(s) "trinity" and/or "triune God" aren't expressly stated in God's Word either and "We pretty much 'know' what..." these expressions mean too.

But, how does one actually define what a "providential hindrance" is/means?

One person said something to the effect that a "providential hindrance" is that, "God lays down a 'commandment' or a 'law' in His Word [e.g., not to forsake "the assembling of ourselves together..." in Hebrews 10:25], and then He makes you so handicapped that you can't get out of your hospital bed to attend your local church meetings."

Well, that may be his idea of what a "providential hindrance" may be, but I don't really think that's how God views it.

BUT, then again, how would you define it?

At the other extreme (Using that Hebrews 10:25 passage), after a person stays up most all of Saturday night (and maybe a little bit into the "wee hours" of Sunday morning) playing, for example, some computer games (Candy Crush, etc.), and then stays home to sleep through the time(s) of his local church's Sunday morning services, probably isn't a "providential hindrance" either---even though when asked by his fellow church members he might invoke such an excuse for his absence.

Bottom line: How does one actually define what a "providential hindrance" is?

Could one person's "providential hindrance" not be one to another person?

When does one's "providential hindrance" stop being one and then subsequently considered to be "out of God's will for him/her"?

These are just some questions I'd love to see defined, especially from passages in the Bible that actually address themselves to the concept of a "providential hindrance."

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.

8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.

9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.

10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.

11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.

12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.

15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    6 And the Lord God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd.

7 But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered.
    8 And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.

9 And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture teaches that the Holy Spirit intervened to alter the actions of people, redirecting them toward the will of God. Thus any sort of Divine discipline might be considered "providential hindrance."

Paul could be said to have experienced providential hindrance on the road to Damascus. :)

Today, a phrase in common usage is "when God closes a door, He opens a window." The problem of course is ascribing circumstances that befall us as furthering God's purpose. But scripture teaches other powers from the dark side are also in play, Satan and His co-horts, the World with its corrupt value system and of course our own fleshly desires.

Now the verse "we make plans, but God directs our steps" teaches God does intervene and alter our course at times. But if our plans are in accordance with His allowed actions, then no intervention would occur.