1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Provisionalism vs Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by OldArmy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with that statement, but...that last bit about before the foundation of the world I'd nuance probably differently than I'm assuming you mean it.

Question: why bother with even creating creation if you mean it the way I'm assuming you might. Which is the elect, effectual rejuvenation etc.

2. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think 5 point Calvanists have a problem with what scripture says, I just think they misunderstand it.

There are "Calvinist" that do have a problem with the 5 point understandings though and only claim 3 points or 4 points, personally I think it's a cop out though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The points all function together. You cannot take one or two points away and still associate yourself with Calvin's exegesis of scripture.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no good answer to your question as God does not tell us the "why" in his plan. God only tells us some of the "for this purpose."
    For what purpose did God ordain the entrance of rebellion into His creation? I don't know. What I know is that God had His promised one already ordained as He promises Adam and Eve that a Redeemer would come.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet many "Calvinist" claim to only be a 4 point Calvinist. I agree with your assessment though, which is why I say they're being cop outs. I personally think they are just sticking their head in the sand. Wonder why...

6. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a guess, but could it all be so we would have an honest choice? (And I really mean that, not being sarcastic)

Adam and Eve didn't know what sin was, the word had no meaning to them as they hadn't ate yet from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They were still innocent right up until they ate. Which on a side note is where R.C Sproul misses something obvious in his whole "from whence does sin come" because he's looking at things that Adam did prior to eating of the tree that would have been counted as sin, had he not still been innocent. You know, because he hadn't eaten of it yet!

And don't assume by asking of the question I'm suggesting man can somehow over write God's sovereignty. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying His will is for us to choose. Does God know who will and won't choose Him? Ofcourse He does! But He still allows the choice to be made. Otherwise it wouldn't be a real honest choice.

#46 OldArmy, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the same opinion about "Traditionalists", as well as "Wesleyans" and many others...although I truly hope that, through careful study, they will come to fully understand His word and its many truths contained in it.
    No, the "honest choice" is what got us all into trouble.
    That honest choice was like candy...and we fell in love with it.

Read Romans 1 carefully.
    It's not pretty.:(
    I agree.

But God told them what would happen if they ate of it.
    Then when they did, they knew that they had done wrong.

Now here's where I think it gets real interesting...why didn't they both fall on their faces and beg God's forgiveness, instead of "playing the blame game"?
    What does R.C. Sproul have to do with Scripture?
    Where's that at, in God's word?
    Yes, He does...no one ( Romans 3:10-18, Psalms 10:4 ).
    Man's honest choice was already made, and is being made day after day.
    We hate God and love sin ( John 3:19-20 )...honestly.

Without God to change the heart, there would be no choice other than to honestly reject Him and go the opposite direction.

#47 Dave G, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  8. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it was about honest choice. God always chooses in scripture.
    God chose mercy with Adam and Eve. He chose Abel's sacrifice. He chose Noah and Noah's family. He chose Abram. He chose Isaac, not Ishmael. He chose Jacob, not Esau. He chose Joseph. He chose Moses. He chose Joshua. He chose each Judge. He chose David. He chose the Prophets. He chose to enter earth as a man. He chose Apostles. He chose. It is one of the grand themes of God's revelation to man. God the Creator chooses what He is doing, like a brilliant artist. Nothing is haphazard. Nothing is out of place.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Flowers is not scripture. You can at least bookmark the pertinent sections like people do with scripture.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OldArmy,

You took the time to post, that told me you are sincere. We are both studying and learning.
    I was not so much refuting, but probing a bit for clarification.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    again...every believer is really a Calvinist, but it takes time for some of the pieces to fall in place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deuteronomy 30:15-20 is a covenant promise to Israel. It is in keeping with the blessing and cursing of the Law found two chapters earlier in Deuteronomy 28. Moses' charge to the nation of Israel was ultimately fulfilled when the kingdom split and both factions were eventually conquered. There is a general principle we can apply from living a life of obedience or disobedience, but the conditions specified in Moses' charge were to the covenant nation of Israel, which no longer exists.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (ESV)Deuteronomy 30:19 " I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live,"

I agree with what you posted but you seem to have skipped right over what I was looking for comments on, verse 19.

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not skip over it. "It" is part of obedience to the Law. The promise to the covenant nation of Israel is that if obey you are blessed and if you not you are cursed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldArmy

OldArmy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If?

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me since the Jews could not keep the Law yet they were still blessed and cursed. In fact more than any other people on earth they are cursed yet blessed. Doesn't make any sense does it?
    MB

18. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the 7 points of Provisionalism?
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the "choose life" part.

20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't have to "make sense" to us.
    But the reason they were blessed is because God chose them, as a nation:

" For thou [art] an holy people unto the Lord thy God: the Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that [are] upon the face of the earth.
    7 The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye [were] the fewest of all people:
    8 but because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. "
    ( Deuteronomy 7:6-8 ).

God says it and we as believers...believe it.
    Shouldn't we?
    From my experience, it then begins to make sense over time as the Lord transforms our thinking through His word.

In addition, the Law has a purpose...

" Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." ( Galatians 3:24 ).

"Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and [it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
    20 Now a mediator is not a [mediator] of one, but God is one.
    21 [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
    22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe."
    ( Galatians 3:19-22 ).

The Law served various purposes.
    But for the believer in Christ Jesus, it has mainly one...

To condemn us and drive us to Christ as our only hope of reconciliation with God.

#60 Dave G, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1