1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 119

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During morning devotions for Friday I read through Psalm 119.I know you're thinking:"Why don't you do something more bite-size?" Well, actually I've fallen behind in my daily Bible reading schedule for the year.I'm trying to catch up -- so,I'm covering big swaths of Scripture.

I teach a special class of children on Mondays and Fridays.It's much smaller than the regular class size of my normal 40.That has some benefits.

Therefore,I decided to go through Psalm 119 as the subject for the special class.Most of the kids are regular church-goers,but not Christians.

I used the NIrV text.It's a simpification of the NIV.I know it's not as accurate as as some other versions out there.However,remember,these young teens are Korean with English as a second language.It's still God's precious Word.I think Isaiah 55:11 would apply.

There are 22 sections to the Psalm so we rotated the readings from student to student.I read also.

When it was over I asked what that chapter was about.One student said in more of a questioning tone than as a statement :"Praising the Lord for His law?" You guys could have given more advanced theological replies,but I was touched.I fleshed it out some more and we had a good discussion about God's Word.You should have been there.

I don't think I'll get in trouble for this. But I know I couldn't get away with the same material in my regular classes.

Verse 1 :Blessed are those who live without blame.
    They live in keeping with the law of the Lord.

Verse 176: Like a lost sheep,I've gone down the wrong path.
    Come and look for me,because I haven't forgotten to obey your commands.