1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 12:6,7

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Psalm145 3, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Asking Bruce Metzger about God's supernatural written words is like asking the Pope of Rome how to become a Christian. Spiritual things can only be discerned spiritually.

Bruce Metzger's unbelief can be seen by looking at his notes in the Reader's Digest Condensed Bible and the New Oxford Annotated Bible.

Pastor David Cloud wrote in the article, TEXTUAL CRITICISM IS DRAWN FROM THE WELLS OF INFIDELITY, "BRUCE METZGER believes Moses did not write the Pentateuch, Deuteronomy was not written until 700 years before Christ, the Old Testament is a mixture of "myth, legend, and history," the record of the worldwide flood of Noah's day is exaggerated, the book of Job is a folktale, the miracle accounts about Elijah and Elisha contain "legendary elements," Isaiah was written by Isaiah plus two or three unknown men who wrote centuries later, the record of Jonah is a "legend," Daniel does not contain supernatural prophecy, Paul did not write the Pastoral Epistles, Peter did not write 2 Peter, etc."

The doctrine of verbal preservation of the Scriptures must be approached by faith in God and His Word.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

When God says "the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered" I believe Him. To deny clear Biblical revelation is a clear sign of an unrepentant heart. Whether Bruce Metzger is saved or not is not my job to judge, I hope he is saved. But he certainly will not be invited to teach our Sunday school class or preach from our pulpit.

Here's another verse of supernatural God-breathed Scripture that teaches that God's Words would be preserved:

Psalms 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Amen to that! Even Genesis and the other writings of Moses are preserved! ...FROM THE BEGINNING!

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Sometimes I swear you don't read at all. I have told you and shown you that textual criticism is not a spiritual matter. Deciding between two text is a matter of internal and external evidence that anyone with the proper knowledge and tools can do. It has nothing to do with one's spiritual condition. So all of your whining about Metzger is irrelevant.

This is certainly true, but it is irrelevant for this discussion, as is 1 Cor 2:14. It simply does not address this issue.

You contradict yourself. You say that he has an unrepentant heart and then claim not to judge him. This is simple evidence of your faulty methods with which you approach this discussion. You appear very careless with words and ideas.

I'll do you better than that. Not only will I not have Metzger. I won't even have David Cloud.

I believe this wholeheartedly. It simply is irrelevant. No one is doubting the preservation of God's words. You should know that. What is under discussion is the method in which he preserved them. Even you must admit that God hasn't told us how he preserved them. At least I would think you must admit that ...

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What is the truth that Metzger did not tell you?

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What is the truth that Metzger did not tell you? </font>[/QUOTE]As with your previous post, I don't understand. This doesn't seem to make sense at all.

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What is the truth that Metzger did not tell you? </font>[/QUOTE]As with your previous post, I don't understand. This doesn't seem to make sense at all. </font>[/QUOTE]What date of the Peshitta did Metzger tell you?

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Who cares?? What's your point?? I don't recall right off what date he gives and I am too lazy to look it up tonight. But this has nothing to do with the topic of discussion here. Perhaps start another thread and someone who cares will respond.