1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 139:15

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 25, 2014.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A visiting preacher at the church I currently attend gave a very interesting verse by verse exposition of Psalm 139.
    When he came to the above he stated that the lowest part of the earth meant exactly that.
    He cited that there are a maximum number of proteins needed for the human body to be complete and for the building blocks (amino acids) to form, and part of these proteins come from the plant life around us, which are consumed by human parents, without which no human body can be formed.
    Well, I am not quoting him verbatim but I think I have captured enough of the gist of what he said.
    I would be very interested to hear what others have to say.
    Now, of course, the above verse wasn't the focus of what he preached on, rather, that every verse of the psalm led to David's final plea to be examined by God thoroughly.

2. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bumping this. really would like to know if others have seen this verse in the same light. driving wife to work on the North Bay side, see you there from my android. :thumbs:

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His commentary is something I'd wince at and ignore.

IMO, preachers ought to stick with theology and stay away from preaching science.

Rob

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The preacher was engaged in malpractice.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it's real meaning is in the Messianic aspect, which would make this to be in reference to His body, the Church, next verse:

...Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them....

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    okay, but how would one do that in light of scriptures like Job 26:7
    or Paul's discourse in 1 Corinthians 15:39-41.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so, Brother ?

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also looked at it that way, but, then, again.......

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you verses 15 and 16 concern Christ and the church. Christ descended to the lowest parts of the earth, the heart of the earth, Sheol.

V15 and first part v16 Christ

My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect

Now what does Hebrews 5:9 state concerning the resurrection of Christ. When his soul was raised from Sheol/Hades with incorruptible flesh. Acts 2:31

Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, (from the lowest parts of the earth, the womb of the earth) he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Prior to that his church (members of his body) were written even before he became the author.

Last part V16 Church
    and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible looks at the world phenomenologically, that is to say looking at the event as it is seen through the eyes of the observer, e.g. the sun rises and the sun sets.

That’s not to say that the authors were not remarkable, dare I say inspired, observers of the world around them …but when you start talking DNA and amino acids you’ve strayed from the original intent of the author.

...and more than often beyond the education of the preacher.

Rob

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. By phenomenon. I get that. So, it is okay to say that a storm arose in the sea of Galilee but it will be out of bounds theologically to explain how a severe storm could occur that brought about the huge, crashing waves and the high winds ? And which author would it be ? The Holy Spirit or the human spirit. Also, isn't a currently proven scientific fact like the shape of the earth and DNA and amino acids a confirmation of Scripture and vice versa ? And, by the way, the country boy preacher has a degree in Communications major in Rhetorical Analysis.