1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 33

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    vs 18 tells us that the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him
    vs 19 tells us to deliver their sold from death

So why would the Lord allow missionaries such as Jim Elloit (50's) and and more recently
    John Allen Chau (who was killed by natives in India) become myrters?
    How Christians put in with Lions in Rome and ect.

In vs 21 - Fr our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name
    Of course we will rejoice in the Lord with a victory
    But, do we - should we - rejoice when there is a defeat?
    Is Trusting the Lord - regardless of the outcome - the most important action?

#1 Salty, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow? God ordained!

I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation: and all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? - Daniel 4:34-35

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It’s talking about delivering their soul from death or hell

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We set ourselves up as a court of justice when we ask such questions.
    I can hear the Lord answering these questions in the final chapters of Job… “Where were you when I…”
    God has his reasons, apparently we are on the ‘don’t need to know’ list.

If Jim Elliot would have known the outcome of the action taken against him, that being the salvation of the people he was trying to reach, I’m sure he would do it again.
    Yet not knowing, but as a humble servant, he (Jim Elliot) humbled himself even to death, trusting that God, in his knowledge, would make things right according to his plan.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting

John Allen said he knew that he might give his life - but he wanted to present Christ to the natives

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember correctly, Peter and John were beaten for preaching Jesus Christ as Messiah. They rejoiced that God had deemed them worthy to suffer for Christ’s sake.

Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4:11 that those that live for Christ are always being delivered to death so that the life of Christ may be manifest in our mortal bodies.

Perhaps God deemed them worthy to suffer and die for the cause of Christ. In some way, God will work it for good.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope!

The exhaustive determinists think everything that happens is predestined by God, and we should accept it as God's will. This is a destructive heresy because we are to strive to follow Christ, and when we fail, to confess our misses, and redouble our effort to improve our walk with Christ.

The verse that says "all things work together for good for those who love God and have been called according to His purpose," can be understood in at least two ways. The alternate understanding, i.e. all things are not predestined by God, is that "all things work together for good" refers to the end result of our life, which is eternal life with Christ, rather than the result of sin in fallen humanity.