1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 72 - Messianic?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Sunday School materials deal with Psalm 72 next week, and treat it as prophecy. It is attributed to Solomon, and reads very much to me as a prayer for either his father David or himself as king. Is this usually considered prophecy as well?

2. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I happen to be reading a book on Messianic Psalms (by T. Ernist Wilson). this psalm is in the book. if I get a chance later, i'll pass along some thots.

redeemed-in-full,

richard n koustas

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. While it fits generally (and hyperbolic) to Shlomo and is David's prayer for him, the language is also prophetic of the Messianic Kingdom.

Thus it is with much OT prophecy. It was written to real people at a real time, but with overtones perhaps not even recognized by the writer to a greater event.

v 1-4 could be literal of Shlomo (Solomon)
    v 5-8 are hyperbole for Shlomo but REAL for Jesus!
    and so on

Beautiful rendition in the NIV

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Definitely stong aspects of messianic hope here!

I've always disliked the idea of classifying passages as "messianic" or "non messianic".

Each passage in the OT has some contextual relevance for its current situation - but the whole OT reflects the hope of God's eventual deliverance.

If you can find it the BEST book on this bar none is "The Lord's Annointed" by Phillip Satterthwaite.

5. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Summarizing the chapter in the book:

Although not specifically quoted in the NT, the psalm is a picture, or type of the millennial reign of the Messiah (amillennialists, of course, would have a different interpretation ;) )! Jesus was from the line of David (i.e., 'the King's son'). The psalm starts out in judgment, Solomon had to judge righteously we he became king, Jesus will administer justice in the final battle at the end of the tribulation period. Solomon had a peaceful reign for 40 years, Jesus's millennial reign will be peaceful.

vs. 8-11 spells out the extent of Solomon's influence (the whole known world). Jesus's influence (or dominion) will extend to the entire planet.

vv. 12-15 Like Solomon, Jesus will judge impartially during His reign.

vv. 17-19 seems to point to the fulfillment of the promises God made to Abraham in Genesis 12. This obviously had not happenned yet, but will during Jesus's reign.

Hope this helps.

Redeemed-in-full,

richard n koustas