1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalm 77:2

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Logos1560, Mar 13, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe they have a SORE need to avoid it and are hoping the topic will just "fade away".

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 77:2 in NKJV

In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; My soul refused to be comforted.

3. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Have you considered that there may be a reason for the translation that you are not aware of...

For example...the Spanish Reina Valera appears to agree more with the AV and Geneva here...

Psa 77:2 Al Señor busqué en el día de mi angustia: Mi mal corría de noche y no cesaba: Mi alma rehusaba consuelo.

What say ye?

Max

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

If only we had a time machine...then we could ask the translators themselves, huh?

;) [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it is possible that the KJV translators may have had a reason for their rendering that we are not aware of. It is more likely that the reason for their rendering is the
    one that has been presented that they were influenced by the opinions of Jewish rabbi David Kimchi or by other sources such as the Geneva that were influenced by Kimchi. How often do KJV-only advocates consider that other translators may have had valid reasons for their renderings that they are not aware of?

Have you considered the possibility that the case for the literal rendering of the Hebrew at Psalm 77:2 may be stronger than the case for the
    opinion of an unsaved Jewish rabbi?

6. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible # 3027 says this Hebrew word "yawd" (translated "sore" in Psalm 77:2 in the KJV) can be used as a noun. adv. etc., in a great variety of applications, both lit. and fig., both proximate and remote.

You may question the translation choice, but you cannot say this is an error in the KJV.

Let me encourage you guys to quit trying to strain at a gnat, but rather meditate on this blessed Psalm which teaches discouraged believers the way back to fellowship with God. You or a loved one may need this encouragement some day.

Psalms 77:11 I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.

Amen.

7. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Of course, it is possible that the KJV translators may have had a reason for their rendering that we are not aware of. It is more likely that the reason for their rendering is the
    one that has been presented that they were influenced by the opinions of Jewish rabbi David Kimchi or by other sources such as the Geneva that were influenced by Kimchi. How often do KJV-only advocates consider that other translators may have had valid reasons for their renderings that they are not aware of?

Have you considered the possibility that the case for the literal rendering of the Hebrew at Psalm 77:2 may be stronger than the case for the
    opinion of an unsaved Jewish rabbi?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Of course I have considered these things, however with no conclusive concrete evidence for your rabbi theory & with the agreement of other contemporary translations I choose to give the Scriptures the benefit of the doubt.

That should be our approach every time...instead of trying to cast doubt on a rendering we are unsure of!

Max