1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psalms 51:5 in Light of ROBI

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

I want to move along with the discussion and through the rules of biblical interpretation. If any still have a desire to post on the historical/cultural aspects of the verse in question, or if one disagrees with that that has been posted, feel free at any time to back the discussion back up to a former point.

1.) Different passages must be so interpreted, if they can be, as not to contradict each other.
    (2.) Language is to be interpreted according to the subject matter of discourse.
    (3.) Respect is always to be had to the general scope and design of the speaker or writer with attention to historical/cultural influences.
    (4.) Texts that are consistent with either theory, prove neither.
    (5.) Language is to be so interpreted, if it can be, as not to conflict with sound philosophy, matters of fact, the nature of things, or immutable justice.

Proceeding to Rule (2) In light of the evidence established in my post concerning rule #3, I will try and establish the subject matter of discourse. It would indeed appear to me that this is a Psalm of personal penitence. Having committed a sexual sin with Bathsheba, David showed true remorse for his actions. He acknowledges his sin and then enters into verse five(5) which is the verse the OP deals directly with. “ 5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.” Many believe this establishes original sin, but does it?

The plain rendering of this verse places guilt on David’s mother for conceiving him in sin. He could have said, my mother conceived me in an act of sin, or I was formed as an act of sin by my mother, either one would be within the confines of a reasonable rendition of this text. The question arises, why would David be speaking of the sin of his mother if the context is his own guilt? I believe a reasonable response to this question is simply that David was expressing the fact that from his very conception, sin was at work influencing and setting an example that would in fact lend influence and example for him to follow and direct his own personal acts of sin by. I see David pouring out his heart by saying, certainly it is I alone that has done this wicked sin, yet I know that the sins of others have had a strong influence upon my life, even in my conception. While he focuses upon his own sin and guilt, in verse five he points not to the ‘cause’ of his sin, but rather to sinful examples and influences upon him by the acts of his very mother that indeed influenced his life and subsequent choices and actions.

#21 Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Isn't it the very first 'rule' to make sure about which Scripture is the subject of discussion? Begin the 'list' with this 'rule'; it may prevent serious confusion!

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: The point I tried to make in my last post was that it is not unusual or a violation of any rule concerning the main thrust of the passage for an author to inject influences that have been a factor, even though the ‘cause’ is nothing other than himself. Are you suggesting that if I speak in a paragraph concerning my own sin that I could not speak of influences and actions of others that have had an impact on my personal choice of sin? If so, what rule of speech or grammar or rule of biblical interpretation would prohibit such a reference from being made even in the same sentence or paragraph?

It is completely wrong to imply that if the passage is speaking of David’s personal sin that he could not have mentioned the sins of his mother in the act of his conception. That is precisely what he did and he did not violate any rules of biblical interpretation or grammar or anything else by doing so.

#23 Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Let me make myself even clearer. Some on this list have stated that the context of the passage is David confessing his own sins therefore they conclude that verse 5 cannot be addressing any sins of his mother. I would like to hear those that have espoused that notion to tell us why or how they come to that conclusion. What rule of interpretation demands that the author cannot speak of influences upon his life or simply matters of fact unrelated to his personal sins, and the fact that the actual ‘cause’ of sin is none other than himself, in the same passage?

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The English verse 5 speaks of the same thing verse 4 (in other Translations verse 5) speak of: His inherent inherited sin defined: his own sinfulness, by nature. We are, sinners because we are born, guilty, sinners.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Is the truth of the matter that rules of interpretation are only necessary for honest examination of a text, and serves no apparent usefulness to those simply looking for a proof text to bolster an accept dogma such as original sin, as GE has clearly demonstrated?

Is there not one on the list that has used this text in support of original sin that will not give us their take of the verse utilizing sound rules of biblical interpretation as a means by which they establish their interpretation of it?

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first rule of interpretation noted in the other thread: Context, Context, Context.

Examine the full text of the Psalm, not just a selected snippet.
    Count the “I”s and the “me”s.

This is a personal prayer of contrition between David and his God (count the “You”s).
    David wasn’t acknowledging or confessing his mothers sin.
    He was stating how deeply his sin was rooted.

Here the NLT brings out the meaning best:

For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.

Psalm 8:5 NLT

I’m reminded of Job:

"How can a mortal be innocent before God?
    Can anyone born of a woman be pure?
    God is more glorious than the moon;
    he shines brighter than the stars.
    In comparison, people are maggots;
    we mortals are mere worms.”

Job 25:4-6, NLT

If the verse concerned original sin or even hinted at a sin of his mother you might paraphrase the psalm so…

I’m sorry, so sorry, please accept my apologies
    But that’s the way I was made.
    I couldn’t help myself.

This verse is not an excuse for David's sin!
    If it is, it's a lame excuse.

This is a psalm of repentance!

Rob

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I would entirely concur that this is a Psalm of repentance and David was not making excuses for his sin. Regardless of any and all influences, he had willfully disobeyed known commandments of God and for this was humbly asking fro forgiveness.

Possibly you have an explanation why David, a Jew, would be expressing a dogma that was unknown not only to the Jewish culture, but was unknown to the Church until the advent of Augustine?

What is amazing to me is that you emphasize repentance, yet you propose the the greatest excuse ever in your suggestion that he was born that way. He should have just pointed his finger at his Creator, and said “You formed me this way God. How could I have ever been anything other than what you made me to be? Do you expect me to be able to overcome necessitated fate, a feat even You cannot accomplish? “

Deacon, how about 'repentance?' Can one repent for the color of hair he is born with or the color of his skin? One can only repent for intents and actions that one is not under necessity to perform. One might feel sorry for one that could not do something other than what he does under the very same set of circumstances, but to place blame upon the individual for such necessitated notions is as absurd as it is unjust. You might as well blame man for being born with red hair and then sentence him to hell for eternity as to blame or punish man for failure to escape his necessitated fate.

Show us one definition of sin in Scripture that support the notion of a necessitated condition. Sin is a transgression of the law. To suggest as Augustinian original sin does, that it the necessitated malady of ones makeup, in which no man has any choice, is to suggest that one can violate moral law apart from willful intention. Scripture as well as reason refute such a notion as utterly absurd in light of any semblance of justice.

God places blame on the sinner for his formed intents of selfishness as opposed to benevolence, and calls on men to ‘turn from’ the formation of such intents. If sin was the necessitated results of ones birth, that would be again like commanding men to change their hair color or the color of their skin, and that from birth. Can leopard change his spots or a white man the color of his skin?

Original sin destroys every true possibility of justice for God placing blame upon man for being a sinner, and destroys every just notion that God could blame man for his necessitated condition, makes a mockery of God commanding men to repent for something they had absolutely no choice in becoming. It makes Gods commands to turn from their necessitated state absurd.

Sorry Deacon. Psalms 51: 5 nor any other text supports the Augustinian notion that sin lies in the constitution of the flesh. Sin is not a necessitated malady. Sin is the willful transgression of a known commandment of God as Scripture plainly tells us in so many ways. Sin lies in the will of man and is not nor can it be transmitted by physical generation. Sin is the result of willful disobedience to a known commandment of God, and Scripture tells us that every man will be held accountable for his own sins, and not that of another as original sin implies.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wellll, tell us what you think.....

There are so many preconcieved notions flying around in that reply.
    I do tend to drop a bit of my reasoning along the way when I post.
    Let's see if I can straighten things out a bit.

This psalm is not a doctrinal dissertation; it’s a plea for forgiveness.

As you noted I didn’t think David was giving an excuse for his sin.

David expresses the idea that his sinfullness in inherent in his innermost being from birth,
    yes, even from conception.

Perhaps you were thrown off by my use of the NLT and its phrase “…...born a sinner---
    Yes, I see. That is an unfortunate choice of words there,
    I agree that it does tend to promote an Augustinian perspective on the transmission of sin.

I personally prefer the more overtly literal translations which don’t seen to fall into that trap.

Although the verse may imply original sin, we are reading in to the text when we attempt to say how that sin was brought forth.

No, David is not blaming God for his sin.

He notes that God desires an honest inner heart.
    And then asks for cleansing, renewal, restoration,

Rob

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Over all I like your post Rob. We agree that David was NOT blaming God or his mother for his sin. He was blaming himself. Just the same, consider this. If I were to honestly repent, why could I not bring into the picture influences, yes even those as a direct result of sin being involved in my conception as being an influence upon my life and an influence or an occasion that played a part in my own sin? The sins of our parents or others often do play a key role in our own sins. Yet that in no wise releases us from our own personal guilt, for those influences might have been formidable, but did not force or coerce us to sin.

You obviously understand my point concerning this verse in that it cannot be used to say ‘how that sin was brought forth’ and therefore I believe it is not a proof text for original sin in the least when we fairly examine it in light of reasonable rules of biblical interpretation.

Just curious. What is your take on my comments concerning the beliefs of the Jews, and the point made about the Jews having no place in their theology for original sin or constitutional depravity? Agree, disagree, or have you not made up your mind?

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I see from reading past posts of yours that I’m a late-comer to these discussions.

The more I study the bible, the greater appreciation I have concerning the radical nature of early Christian thought and belief.

I’ve never really thought about your question and haven’t studied it out.
    Certainly strands of thought relating to original sin are present within the OT text but I don’t believe there are any clearly distinct passages regarding it.

The best I could do was an apocryphal text.

"From a woman sin had its beginning, and because of her we all die."
    Sirach 25:24, NRSV

Catch you on the other side, g'nite

Rob

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah I can't help myself I've got to post this, hee heee heeee :smilewinkgrin:

Boy am I gonna get it.

15 There is no venom worse than a snake’s venom,
    and no anger worse than a woman’s wrath.

16 I would rather live with a lion and a dragon
    than live with an evil woman.

17 A woman’s wickedness changes her appearance,
    and darkens her face like that of a bear.

18 Her husband sits among the neighbors,
    and he cannot help sighing bitterly.

19 Any iniquity is small compared to a woman’s iniquity;
    may a sinner’s lot befall her!

20 A sandy ascent for the feet of the aged—
    such is a garrulous wife to a quiet husband.

21 Do not be ensnared by a woman’s beauty,
    and do not desire a woman for her possessions.

22 There is wrath and impudence and great disgrace
    when a wife supports her husband.

23 Dejected mind, gloomy face,
    and wounded heart come from an evil wife.

Drooping hands and weak knees
    come from the wife who does not make her husband happy.

24 From a woman sin had its beginning,
    and because of her we all die.

25 Allow no outlet to water,
    and no boldness of speech to an evil wife.

Sirach 25:14-25 NRSV

Rob