1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Public Education vs Home Education

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Do you believe that home education is a valid alternative to public education?
    Or do you think that public education is a non valid alternative to home education?
    Or do you have a completely different view.

One thing I have noticed is that Home Schooling seems much more popular in areas where the public schools are worse.
    Parents in the "Bible belt" seem to be much more comfortable with their kids in the public schools.

BTW, I was home schooled from k-12 and I started in '85.

2. whatever

whatever New Member

Tryin' to start trouble, huh? Home education is absolutely valid.

What I have never heard, and what I would love to hear, is why it is valid for Christian parents to send their children to government sponsored schools. I don't want to know whether anyone's schools do a really good job or are able to talk about Jesus or whatever. I want to know why it's OK to have everybody else paying for your child's education.

I'll start another thread if you want. I don't want to derail yours, but I think this is an important difference between the two systems. There are other important distinctions too, like who chooses the topics and the materials and all.

#2 whatever, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  3. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

I don't think that public schools should even exist. If the government wants to help parents who can't afford to send their children to a private school that teaches what they believe, then I believe the government should set up a program like IDEA, RAVEN, accept allow it to be used for religeos schooling. (These programs give money for parents to use to buy textbooks, additionals, or even ballet or soccer, but unfortunatly you can't use them for Bible Curriculum. Most of them you would be able to by Abeka math english ect, but not their Bible curriculum or send them to a christian school.)

I'm sure there is Public Schools that are good schools, low crime rates, good grades ect. But the majority of public schools are just places for your children to learn a bunch of junk you don't want your children to know anyways, and it's not just the teachers that are teaching them this either.

If you homeschool your children then the only things they learn is what you want them to learn.

Did you know some public schools are starting sex education at Kindergarten now?!!

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Any reason why you did not include Christian schools as an option?

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm, no public education? Someone else pays for my kids education?

Gonna start with the someone else pays statement. Someone else pays for the streets I drive on, should I start my own highway system? Someone else pays for my medical care (part of an insurance group, don't get excited), should I start my own system? Someone else paid for the equipment that brings water to my house, should I dig a well? Someone else pays for the troops that keep my country safe, should I start my own army? Someone else pays for the park where my children play, should I make a playground in my backyard?

Now, the reality is, roads, water, troops and parks are all paid for in part or whole by the taxes I pay. So is the education system my children are part of.

Now if you don't like what your children are being taught, then you have two choices. You can homeschool or you can get busy and get involved in the workings of the school system. Attend the board meetings, check out the new cirruculums the board is considering(you find out about these things at the board meetings), volunteer at the schools.

You know why the schools are having to teach sex ed in kindergarten? Because so many children at that age are coming in with a partial knowledge of things they shouldn't know about at 5! They think sex is love. Who's fault is that? Is it the schools system's fault? Or is it the fault of parents and churches that have so neglected their responsibility to thier children and community?

Now, lets take a look at what would happen if parents were solely responsible for educating their children. Which children do you suppose would get an education. Children of rich parents? Children of parents who have college educations? Children of good church going folks like us who have both the resources and the talent (graciously provided by our Father) to buy cirriculums and put them into action?

What about mentally retarded children? What about poor children in families where both parents work? What about blind children? The deaf? What about children in the foster care system? The children of migrant workers?

Do you see where I am going with this? This is another area where I see Christians not willing to put their money where their mouths are.

There was a time in this country when a child's education was solely the responsibility of the parents. Know what went on during that time? Children and parents alike working for pennies in factories. Take a good look at third world countries that have no public education system. Who gets an education? Do you really want America to return to that kind of standard of living?

As for the OP: Yes, homeschooling is a valid alternative to public education for parents who have the resources to do such. I'm considering it for my son for reasons that don't have to do with my Christianity. This should in no way be construed that my choice to homeschool releases me from my responsibility to the children of my community to ensure that they also at least have the opportunity to learn to read and write. (means I'm not going to push to quit paying taxes that go to education just because I've chosen not to take advantage of the opportunity)

Do I think that public school is a valid option for Christian families? Why wouldn't it be? Because my kids might be exposed to a sexual comment? Because they might be exposed to someone different? My goodness, those things could happen in Walmart, should I not go shopping? Ah, but the arguement is that I'm placing my child in an environment where I have little control or knowledge of what is going on.

Balony! If I want control and knowledge all I have to do is show up at the school and take a walk through! I can go to the board meetings, I can meet with teachers and principals and check cirriculums. Oh wait, I do do those things! And I'm one of the very few parents who bother. Is that the school's fault or the fault of parents who have shirked their responsibility to their children and community?

Parents in the Bible belt are more comfortable with their children being in the public schools because being a teacher has traditionally been an "approved" career for Christian ladies here. This makes for a greater proportion of Christian teachers in our public schools.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :D

6. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Being a public ed teacher for 18 years, I find that you have lumped all of us together and made a very negative statement regarding most public ed.
    You say we're teaching them junk? Wow...may I say that I'm offended?

I have stated earlier in a previous thread similar to this one and will restate again. Both of my kids are in public ed. If, for some reason, public ed had not worked for them, they would have gone Christian private. I support public ed since that is what I do, but I would not keep my own kids there for a bunch of garbage. There are good public and private schools...and there are bad of both.

I think it is up to the parent of that child to pray and seek what is best for his/her child. Every child is different and every parent is different. No one should be telling everyone what to do regarding education.

I bust my rear for what I do. It is my passion. I feel there that I can positively influence my students.

We always get blamed for all the bad. I very seldom see anyone praise public ed. Most of you would not be on this board if it hadn't been for good pubic ed teachers that taught you how to read and write.

:Fish:

7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Good ideas. I like what you have said.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes this is true.
    There seems to be a large gulf between the schools there and here.
    I would say that from what I have seen of you, you would not want your kids in the schools in Indiana. But I do not argue that there would be a more Christian teachers in Alabama.
    I can't speak for Alabama but here in Indiana, people DO put their money where their mouths are so to speak.

This is in part because the public schools have gotten so bad that the parents just can't stand it anymore here.
    There are now state wide basketball and soccer leagues that are only for Christian home schoolers and my little brother got to play in the state AllStar game in April at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis in April so here at least, it can't be argued that no one puts their money where their mouth is.

But alll of that aside, we need to look to whose RESPONSIBILITY it is to raise kids.

See, we both agree on the fault here. It is the parents fault.
    Where we disagree is on the cause and since we disagree on the cause, we disagree on the solution.
    You say, if the parents just taught their kids properly, they would grow up ok and the schools would be ok.
    I say the schools are the cause (thought the parents are the blame)
    The reason I say this is because I do not believe it is the role of government to educate children.
    I believe it is the responsibility of the parents to do so.
    They can have help.
    There is no problem with that and we have a lot of co-ops here in Indiana and there are science classes etc.
    Ultimately though, who did God give the job of raising Children to?

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree! However, I don't see how the government controlled education gives parents a lot of choice? Especially when they tax for it.
    That isn't choice, you have to pay those taxes, they aren't optional.

BTW, as a teacher, are you allowed to teach Chistianity?
    Can you mention God or the Bible?
    I worked with a program once in the schools here and I was told never to mention God.
    Oh, also, is creation or evolution taught at your school?

Not me, I was Home Schooled.
    And I am sure many would have learned even if they had to go to private schools for lack of government schools.

10. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

I'm sorry I truelly don't mean to sound mean or that you don't work hard and that you teach junk. It's just that in most public schools I don't see how anyone could put their child in an environment where they are most likely be taught evolution, that God does not exist, the Bible is a bunch of myths, sex educ. before they are 6. Plus the children in the classes that they will be with, teach them curse words, even more about sex, violence, peer pressure, drugs, in high school they are required to read nasty books. I could never, ever put my child through that.

Public schools need people like you, and I'm glad you enjoy it.

I didn't include christians schools as an option because I forgot about them.... (I get kinda steamed about public schools specially after watching Kent Hovind)

I taught in a small Christian school and absolutly loved it. The school had it's problems, all schools do but make sure that the Christian school you send your kids to has the same beliefs you do. When I was in 9th grade I went to a christian school that taught no eternal security and that KJV was archaic and not to be used. Because I differed in my beliefs, there was often remarks made "to" me. They couldn't say in my face "Laura how could you believe in eternal security it's so stupid!" but they did say "How could anyone ever believe in such a stupid thing as eternal security!" and looked pointedly at me hoping I would respond angrily in defense of what I believe. And if I did respond, even if I did it in the right spirit, everyone ignored me, it would be like I never said anything.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Cailiosa, your points about what the Christian school believes are very valid.
    I am even opposed to Christian schools.
    I have been around them a lot and my wife went to a very good one.
    I still believe that it is the parents job. That can be assisted by others of the parents own choosing but a huge school district is not going to be significantly affected by one set of parents.

One CHurch in our area has a co op of some sort that the parents take the kids to.
    It is only for their church though so they don't worry about doctrine like you had to.
    I think that is a great idea BTW

12. whatever

whatever New Member

Again, I am simply asking why Christian parents ought to send their children to government sponsored schools.

I can tell you why everybody ought to pay for your roads and your military. Can you tell me why everybody ought to pay for your children's education?

13. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

Do you mean the idea that I said about getting rid of thepublic schools and if you want the government involved then you would accept money to put your child in whatever school you want or teach them yourself? (If I didn't say it that clearly than I apologize, I'm not very good with my words)

The reason why I say you could do that is because then you have the authority to put your child in the school you want that teaches what you want your child to be taught.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Both of our children are being homeschooled----let me say this--being as to how this is kinda sorta an opinion poll of sorts

Homeschooling is not for everyone. There are SOME parents out there who simply do not have what it takes to homeschool their kids. But if you "have what it takes" and you surrender yourselves to do it(thats 99.99999% of what it takes---surrender)---then I say do it!!!

On the other hand---public schooling is not for everyone. But all in all---in the systems I have been associated with---the Principals & teachers have been "Top Notch". And I would have to say that probably about 99.98% of the problems that are being penned on public school are actually problems brought in to the school from home!! Most public schools are taking the rap for what really is a problem between the kids and their parents that are carried to school and dumped on the teachers and administrators!!

Blackbird

Public schooled himself---holding both BA, MRE & MDIV degrees

Home schooling his children

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

**Personal insult removed**

It would help if you took a history course because you are seemingly unaware that public education did not exist at one time. There was a time when the rich ruled and peasants served the wealthy. Those in the guilds preserved their way of live and it did not allow for someone to enter that area of society.

According to you reasoning why do you go to church? In churches there are pastors who are in jail for embezzling funds and pedophilia. There are churches which lie about their membership and those in attendance. There are people in churches which lie, cheat, and steal. Across the nation are church members being put in jail because of beating their wives and many other things.

#15 gb93433, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  16. whatever

whatever New Member

I think church schools are great expecially for certain cases like the ones that menageriekeeper mentioned:
    I disagree with menageriekeeper. I think Christians are far more compassionate than the government is. Maybe I am wrong, but I think churches would step up and do a better job at meeting the needs of these special people than the government does.

I do think that a lot of church schools are not run very well, but I think church schools are a valid alternative. I like the co-op idea too.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right. When I was in seminary we took our daughter to the seminary's day care center. There was a day when she came home and had used some profanity. I asked her about where she heard those words. They came from a child who came from the home of a parent who was a student at the seminary. The man was studying to be a pastor. There was another time when the police came on campus and arrested a man who was beating his wife in seminary housing.

Never once have I had a high school student ever complain about how much homework I gave both in Sunday School and when I taught in the public high school. It was always the parents who complained about how much work I gave.

I came to the conclusion that many parents are undisciplined and lazy when it comes to supporting the teachers and disciplining their own children in the home.

18. jrchurch

jrchurch New Member

One poster said that not all parents have what it takes to home school their children. Sending the children to a Christian or public school wouldn't make a lot of difference because children are a reflection of their home life. Lazy parents won't be better parents because their children are gone 7 hours each day.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

And I am reading all these posts and feeling very sad for single parents who have to work and have no options. I became a believer after I was already divorced and had to work to support myself and my son. There was no homeschooling option.

Why is it that Christians come across so insensitive on things like this - it seems like they don't care about the community, the non-Christian kids, single parents, etc.

If Christians want to homeschool I think they should have that choice, but my son learned a lot about standing up for Christian beliefs in the public school.

20. mnw

mnw New Member

Proverbs states that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Any education system, home-school or publice/private, that does not have that foundation is spiritually, emotionally and academically flawed.