1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

public schools

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I was homeschooled. And, while not on purpose, I was pretty sheltered as a teenager. I lived out in the middle of nowhere. My job was with a contractor in the church, so at work I saw the same 3 people all the time. My church was small, so I only had a couple friends my age that I saw on youth activities and on Sundays/Wednesdays.

I am now in the military, and feel more than adequately equipped to defend my faith against the opposition I receive constantly.

And your reasoning could be compared to throwing an inexperienced fighter into the ring against multiple opponents and telling him to learn to fight.

The point is, people are arguing extremes. There is a middle ground. And it all has to do with your involvement as a parent. Involved parents with good, strong relationships with their kids turn out good kids (there are exceptions, of course), and no involvement throws the kids to the wolves, leaving them to turn out how they will.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For it to be a strawman, I would have had to distort and misrepresent your position. Since I quoted your own words--that homeschoolers don't have the opportunity and experience to be able to deal with large numbers of people--the burden is now on you to explain how I distorted and/or misrepresented your position.

Again, I quoted your statement; and then I provided real-life examples of homeschoolers who went on to successfully interact with large groups of people. Attempting to discount them personally in no way negates their achievements that contradict your statement.

"Never?" You raised her, and you prepared her for what she faced in high school, and she was successful; are you saying that if you had homeschooled her instead, no matter how much preparation you had provided, she would not be successful at defending her faith in college?

I believe he/she meant that they were raised around parents, siblings, relatives, neighbors, church members, etc. that loved them. Now, how are you defining "sheltered"?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.