1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Public Smoking to end in Hawaii

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, May 22, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

NONSMOKERS will breathe easier after the Legislature enacts a broad smoking ban that includes private facilities open to the public, beginning on Nov. 16, the day of the Great American Smokeout. Such a ban's inconvenience to smokers pales in comparison with the aggravation and health risks to others.

House and Senate conferees have agreed on specifics of the ban, including bars and nightclubs, airports, public transportation facilities and vehicles, restrooms, lobbies and reception areas. Areas open to the public in offices, banks, laundromats, hotels, condominiums and other buildings also will be smoke-free.

The legislation follows a growing trend across the country, including Southern states that had been reluctant to impose such restrictions, according to data collected by the American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation. In the past two years, nine states and 156 towns, cities and counties have approved smoking bans.

Continued -

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/25/editorial/editorial01.html

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

lol Ben you reading our newspapers now? I dont smoke and very few people light up here it seems. I dont know what the big deal is but hey, I am all for no smoking.

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:confused:

I was in Waikiki Hilton a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed a good cigar in the open air lobby/lounge area with some coworkers friends. I did not hurt anybody except possably myself. Too bad people want to force others to live to their expectations at the cost of our freedoms.

I did notice there were no ashtrays, I had to use the plant by the table. SO possably I hurt a plant also.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Be interesting to see what effect it has on their tourist industry.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wish it would end here in Ohio :mad:

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Very little, I would assume, seeing as how it is a long, smoke-free flight from just about everywhere else (that's standard now on most airlines including international ones, isn't it?)

In Texas, a smoke-free motel room costs more than a stinky one (or did in 2002).

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Yeah, it's horrible that non-smokers expect to have the freedom of walking and breathing clean air. It's a shame that such a ban would take away your liberty of forcing others to either hold their breath or inhale your second hand smoke. How dare they! The very idea! :rolleyes:

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Yeah, it's horrible that non-smokers expect to have the freedom of walking and breathing clean air. It's a shame that such a ban would take away your liberty of forcing others to either hold their breath or inhale your second hand smoke. How dare they! The very idea! :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]So then you are for a ban on perfume, cologne, aftershave, fingernail polish, hair products and such. How about camp fires and barbeques.

After all if I dont like the smell of your barbeque then you are infringing on my rights.

Did I mention I was in the out of doors, open air. :rolleyes:

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Although I'm in favor of personal rights (rights of individual businesses to decide for themselves), since the public is forced to pay for the healthcare of others, it becomes a public concern. A few years back, they did an experiment in Helena MT and banned smoking; the death rate dropped about 50% almost overnight, and returned to normal when the ban was rescinded.

Now, it was a fairly short test (something like 3 or 6 months), so is not conclusive. But, interesting, nonetheless.

BTW, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "If you don't smoke in my air, I won't spit in your drink".

Oh, and perfume, etc., is banned in many workplaces already.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Then you are against motercycles, cliffdiving, sking, rollerblading, redmeat, salt, cars, sports, and all other dangerous or unhealthy things.

After all if you get hurt the public has to pay for healthcare. That makes it their buisness.

An employeer can ban anything they want in their building and while the employee is on their time. An employeer can say you cant smoke while I am paying you, thats fine. Should perfume be banned by the goverment.

Just looking for somebody who is consistant with their views.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Perhaps, if you would read what I said instead of putting words in my mouth, you would see that what you said is not what I said.

I said it's a public concern.

In the Helena case, the death rate went down among non-smokers as well.

I'm all for requiring helmets on motorcycles and seatbelt usage in cars. I'm all for limiting lawsuits when someone is injured while rollerblading.

"Concern" and "ban" are not synonymous.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, they're different brand of deodorant, aren't they?

13. Rachel

Rachel New Member

More and more of our rights are being taken away. I don't think the gov. should have the authority to ban smoking in work places. It should be up to each business.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that Passive Smoking is proven to kill non smokers. If you work in a place and they permit smoking there, that firm is now legally liable for your illness. That battle has been taken to court and won many times setting a legal precedent.

How must it feel for someone to have terminal lung cancer that was caused by the smoking of their workmates when they were not even a smoker in the first place?

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

DeeJay, you say you have the right to smoke; that's fine. I and others equally have the right to not breathe your carcinogen-laden smoke. If you want to smoke, then fine; just don't do it near me, light up in the privacy of your own home.

And yes, I am also concerned about the carcinogens in exhaust fumes and wish the government here would take more action to make car manufacturers produce less-polluting vehicles. As for diet, that;s more of a grey area for me: on the one hand, what you put in your body is up to you and, unlike smoking and other forms of pollution, it doesn't directly affect others; however, should the rest of us pay for the increased healthcare costs of those who dine at McDonalds regularly?

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Mat
    I am not wanting smoking on airplains where you dont have a choice about breathing the smoke. I am talking about smoking outside. The out side is big enough for smokers and non smokers.

I also think the resterants and bar owners should have the choice of smoking or non. Nobody is forced into a certen restaraunt. If you dont like smoke then go to a restaraunt that is non smoking. Personaly I would not eat with smoke in the air.

By the way to be clear I am not a smoker, well not really I enjoy a cigar about 3 or 4 times a year.

17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Don't be silly.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Don't be silly. </font>[/QUOTE]Why is that silly. I said banning out door smoking was taking away our freedoms. Somebody else said that they had the freedom to be outside without having to smell the stink of the smoke. I pointed out that there are several other smells that may offend somebody. Why are those smells not banned also.

The comment "dont be silly" does not contribute to this conversation in any way. If you have an argument one way or the other then make it. If not then refrain from posting just for the sake of posting.

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Don't be silly. </font>[/QUOTE]Why is that silly. I said banning out door smoking was taking away our freedoms. Somebody else said that they had the freedom to be outside without having to smell the stink of the smoke. I pointed out that there are several other smells that may offend somebody. Why are those smells not banned also.

The comment "dont be silly" does not contribute to this conversation in any way. If you have an argument one way or the other then make it. If not then refrain from posting just for the sake of posting.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Comparing inhaling cigarette smoke to smelling perfume, and after shave is silly. Does that really need explaining??

And spare the posting lecture.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Comparing inhaling cigarette smoke to smelling perfume, and after shave is silly. Does that really need explaining??

And spare the posting lecture.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, it does need explaining. DeeJay has a valid point.

Smoking wasn't a "sin" until it was decided that is was unhealthy. Suddenly it is a great evil that Christians go crazy over while blasphemy is all around us an no one seems to care.

If Smoking is a sin, then drinking Coke, eating cake and filling up your gas take is a sin too.

Not to mention your backyard barbecue.
    For the record, I don't and have never smoked. This is one more area that the goverenment is way out of bounds.