1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pulpit committee

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When your church is seeking out a pastor - do you elect a pulpit committee or a Pastor search committee.

Is there a difference

OR

is this much ado about nothing.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Much ado about nothing.

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Probably depends on the people on the committee. My little church handles it by letting the deacon board pray over and evaluate different candidates. More often than not, the decision on a pastor is unanimous among the board, and it is then brought before the church, which votes on the decision. In my lifetime I've been involved in many pastor votes, as the church views all positions (pastor, Sunday school teacher, choir leader, etc.) as one-year terms, requiring re-election. Only twice have I seen a vote not be unanimous.

You pray that the committee or the board doesn't have strife over the decision, as that can ripple out and do injurious damage to the church.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, at the very first (which was a short) meeting - there is already strife - and it has noting to do with the name of the committee. Please pray for us.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'll keep you in my prayers, Salty, and your church. Hopefully the Lord will lead your committee to the right man for the job.