1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pure unmerited favor "Grace"

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by King James Bond, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Kismet

Kismet New Member

Mark,

you said...

Now you use the term Calvinists in the plural sense. So I would suspect this is true of more than just one Calvinist. You state it as a general principle or rule to suggest that it would be an exception if a Calvinist were to deny this premise. I ask simply this...

WHO SAID THAT? Please give author, book, and page number of just one Calvinist who said that as a general rule.

I think your statement is false and I'll bet you cannot find one Calvinist who actually said that. I think the fact of the matter is that this is how YOU and OTHER NON-CALVINISTS have characterized Calvinists.

I think you are bearing false witness against your brothers. Please assure me this is not true! What a venomous sin this would be should it be true. Please say it is not true! Show us WHO SAID THAT? Please give author, book, and page number of just one Calvinist who said that as a general rule and I will humbly apologize and ask your forgiveness.

Affectionately Yours,

Kismet

2. Kismet

Kismet New Member

Dear HanSola2000,

I read your evidential support for free will whereby you ave claimed to have proven it from scripture. It is clear that you have no idea what a voluntary offering is. Let me use a simple illustarition...

I am going to Church Sunday morning. I am voluntarily going. That is to say no one is forcing me against my will at gun point to go. However, my children are going NOT because they want to go... No they would prefer to do fun and entertaining things. Yet in all this I FORCE them against their will to go, in hopes that through the preaching of the gospel message, the indwelling of the spirit, that they eventually will voluntarily go on their own initiative. However, when they do decide to go voluntarily it is not altogether free from external, internal, spiritul influences. Their voluntary efforts of cleaning their room, brushing their teeth were predetermined actions arranged by their parents. So the point is that voluntary actions can also be determined by antecedent forces... even forces you are unaware of such as the orbiting planets, the full moon, and yes even a rainy or gloomy day can make you feel melancholy and influence volantary actions of people.

The voluntary offerings they were to offer were just that voluntary. They were not compelled by the Law or the people against their will to make such an offering. I hear in churches today that many do not require a 10% tithe... they ask the people to give voluntarily as THE LORD LEADS. They understand that the Lord has a determining affect upon people's giving habits.

So in reality you did not prove free will, rather it proves the opposite. For if you read the entire account the people were freely (i.e. without compulsion) giving so much that Moses had to start turning people away. Yes that is what happens when one trusts people to the Lord's leading. He does not compel them against their will, but rather (as K.J.B. puts it) makes those formerly unwilling somehow willing.

Unfortunately this is what many con-men do... They make little old ladies willingly or voluntarily give them vasts amounts of their money. They were tricked and hustled to 'voluntarily' give this money away. Did they do it freely... Well yes in the sense that no-one held a gun to their heads... But no they did not do it of their own free will. They were tricked and deceived. This goes to show you that peoples wills are pliable to trickery and deceit and certainly not free but rather easily manipulated. How much effort do you think Satan exercises to manipulate the masses? Do you really think they freely go to hell or are they tricked, duped, and manipulated.

Man's will is in definite spiritual bondage. Man desparately needs intervention on his behalf... simply because he loves his sin and darkness and it will take a radical change of his heart to desire that which is pleasing to God.

Affectionately Yours,

Kismet

3. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Wow some very good points are coming up here.

HanSola,

People are forced to do sometimes what they would not willingly be convinced of doing except by force.

I can promise that the young lady who is overthrown by brute force and held to the ground while she is raped hardly has excercised her will in the matter.

The truth is that many times people have been made to do things against their will.

Like Kismet says, force, trickery,.....and even love!

But one of my points in this topic is that people willingly stay away from Jesus Christ.

I have in my conscience found that my desire is to want to be to Him and not away, willingly!

I say it is God that has made me like that.

I will show another verse that proves God commands light to shine in darkness and everything obeys His command.

I can provide Scripture showing Satan has power over men. I can show that God has power over Satan, angels, and men.

I have already shown you Scripture showing that God has and uses His power over human beings. But you avoid it.

I have not said that I don't volunteer. I have also not called people robots or puppets.

I am fully aware that people are people.

Look at this;

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

This should clearly show you that Satan has and can have power over the minds of people. He is capable of blinding them.

Other translations make it clear....they are unable to see. Unable is inability.

There is no free-will if a person is unable.

Do you think these people are unabled against their will, or in line with their will?

It also clearly says what we preach about.....and this is exactly what Calvinists preach about. Jesus Christ as LORD and us as mere servants.

We do not preach about or give glory to our wills even though we know we have wills.

We know God has done this wonderful work. It is He that commands and He commands Satan is drowned out by Light, and we see. The ultimate power is not Satan or us.....it is God!

To everybody;

This thread and it's development is a fine example of bondage. I am bound to what I percieve as truth and I have no free-choice to believe what HanSola believes. I simply cannot muster it in me to choose opposite of what I believe.

How can HanSola claim free-choice when he can't freely choose to believe what I believe? Sounds like we are bound to what we believe and are hardly free in the matter at all.

In one hand I hold Job 12 and in the other hand I hold the writings of HanSola. I read both writings and find that I freely and most willingly make a choice.

My choice is to keep open the Word of God as shown in Job and to crumple up the writings of HanSola. I can't choose to believe the writings of HanSola over those in Job.

I am held captive.

I come to the conclusion that God does indeed have power over people and He excercises it as He wills. I see it in Job and I am captivated by it.

So I have no free-choice but am rather held in bondage to the Word of God.

HanSola is also in bondage. HanSola cries out loud and clear the battle hymns of free-will and free-choice even though Job shows that God has and does control people.

The battle cry of free-will holds HanSola captive and HanSola is bound to that perception.

HanSola I ask this of you now......if you are so free to choose you should be able to freely choose in an instant to believe me.

I bet you cannot do it because I know you do not have free-choice. You are just as bound as I am. You are in bondage to what your mind percieves as truth and you cannot freely choose to beleive anything other than what holds your mind captive.

This alone proves that wills are not free but rather captivated to what is in ones own mind.

The now question is....what has your mind been washed with?

The truth shall set free! Free from what.....truth or deception?

Ponder.....

KJB

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I have seen some truly great posting here by KJB and Kismet! So true to God's Word!

Another point of a will being held captive is Peter's denying Christ three times as Christ told him he would do though Peter said he would never do such a thing! Happened just like Christ said it would! Mt 26:33,69-74

Another instance is when Christ spoke in parables and when asked why He spoke this way He explained, Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. Mt 13:11 He specifically opened the hearts of some listening to His words and other hearts were not able to understand what he was talking about!

Just like today when two people, side by side, hear a compelling sermon, convicting one of sin and causing him to turn to Christ and the other sits there totally unimpressed!

Again, God is sovereign and rules in the hearts and affairs of men, history, His world and nature! For that we are most thankful!
    Blessings,

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

KJB,

For a moment I thought I was in a C.P.R. training session.

Your premise is a real s t r e t c h.

The Webster Dictionary says this about a gift.

'Something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation.' Go and apply this to Ephesians 2:8-9.

Also, the Lord offers a covenant to all who believe in Him. Without a person to receive the covenant there is no covenant/agreement. Receiving Jesus is receiving the covenant relationship. Without a respondent there is no covenant relationship to the Lord God.

Now we are bearing down on the truth!!

6. King James Bond

Ray,

And may I point out a good and true stretch!

Ray, I am aware that for a person to be saved there must exist a person to save. I know there are responders.

How about if I use a little extra of Ephesians 2?

I think Ephesians 2 applies and fits in perfectly.

And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.

Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

(Hardly sounds like free-will there.)

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

(This is clear that God made us alive. From death to life according to what? His mercy and His great love for us, not ours for Him. He does not just sit and wait, hope, wish, and dream....He made us alive together with Christ .)

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works , which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

(His workmanship.)

Being brought from death to life...how is that not a gift? How does that mean people do not respond? Of course they respond like the man in the tomb. Jesus says get up and the dead man rises and gets up.

KJB

[ November 07, 2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: King James Bond ]

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

King James Bond,

The resurrection of Lazarus from physical death is a fact.

The sinner experiencing new spiritual life through forgiveness is completely another area of thought and Divine intervention. Mixing the two can and does, for the novice, create false doctrines.

We all believe the Ephesian passage and you said that it doesn't sound like 'free will.' That was not the point and emphasis of the Apostle Paul in this writing just as it doesn't sound like 'the Judgment Seat of Christ, the Second Coming or the Great Tribulation.' You were pushing the envelope on this interpretation.

The Lord does not assimilate into a sinner's heart or life by osmosis. There has to be a definite commitment to Christ as is depicted in John 1:12. 'As many as receive Christ He gives them the power/authority to become the children of God.' Without a sinner acknowledging his or her need of salvation, personal repentance (meaning to be willing to turn from their sins) and welcoming Christ into the life there will never be a transfomation ministered by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit convicts and leads sinners to Jesus but He is never an Intruder where He is not welcomed.

8. King James Bond

Ray,

I beg of you to reconsider;

And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.

Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

God made us alive because of His great love for us.

Yes He is rich in mercy.....because we were no better than everybody or anybody else.

Our hearts were not in the right place. Ouyr wills were not in the right place. Our minds were not in the right place. We were as dead sinful enemies.....by nature children of wrath.

It is not saying (by grace you were offered salvation). He made us that were dead alive. He did it! It is His work! It is Him we praise! It is Him that loved us! It is Him that is great!

It is by grace you have been saved. Pure and unmerited favor that God has had upon you for no reason of yourself. It is only that He choose to have mercy on you. Nothing more and nothing less.

KJB

9. jarhed

jarhed New Member

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conversion of Saul, the Pharisee---to Paul the Apostle:

Was he converted against his free will?

"It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks."

In the end, the Grace of God cannot be resisted.

Do we need to review the lesson about the Potter and the clay--honorable vessels and dishonorable vessels?

HOLY, HOLY, HOLY

Selah,

Bro. James

[ November 08, 2005, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Bro. James ]

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Saul had an unusual and overwhelming spiritual experience on the Road to Damascus. It was only when Saul/Paul said, 'Who art thou Lord and what will you have me to do,' that he was saved. If he never said 'What will you have me to do' he would have remained unsaved. Again, the commitment of the human will.

Can grace be resisted. Yes, as found in Acts 7:51, John 5:40, Isaiah 63:10, Leviticus 26:18, Jeremiah 19:15.

Study the O.T. also and it will make you more Biblical than some of the ideas we see in the various posts.

12. King James Bond

I am writing to all of you who share the same precious faith we have, faith given to us by Jesus Christ, our God and Savior, who makes us right with God.

May God bless you with his special favor and wonderful peace as you come to know Jesus, our God and Lord, better and better.

Faith is a gift and it is given by grace.

KJB

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

King James Bond,

What translation did you use above?

Grace is the gift of God to sinners. [Ephesians 2:8].

Faith is the conduit through which we are enjoined to Jesus' covenant. [Romans 5:1].

'. . .whosoever BELIEVES/FAITH in Him, shall not perish . . .'

"Ray"

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

King James Bond,

Do you have anything to say in my post about the fact that grace can be resisted? Notice again the clear references.

As to Calvinists, merely ignoring them or sweeping them under the carpet, does not rid you of the truth coming from the Lord.

15. Kismet

Kismet New Member

Dear Mark,

I would like to address this item you mentioned earlier in the posting...

Now here is the underlying problem. You stated unequivocally that it is a biblical fact that God has enabled all men to believe, yet only a few will act upon it.

Yet the scripture states emphatically that the natural man is unable to comprehend or apprehend the things of God. It would seem that your alleged biblical fact has just become quite dubious! At what point did all of humanity become spiritually enlightened and enabled to believe? The previous postings from Ephesians indicates that the spirit of antichrist is presently operating in the sons of disobedience. It also indicates that people are held captive by Satan to do his will...

Either the natural man no longer exists in society, as ALL are now enabled... or enablement comes individually and specifically at a designated moment in history for those individuals that are saved. The whosever will that comes... are simply spiritually enlightened to perceive the things of God and respond accordingly.

Dear Jarhead,

I am sorry but I never saw that post of Hans Solo directed towards me... Otherwise I would have addressed it... eventually!

Affectionately Yours,

Kismet

16. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

KingJamesBond quote:

I am writing to all of you who share the same precious faith we have, faith given to us by Jesus Christ, our God and Savior, who makes us right with God.

Eph. 2:8 NIV for comparison:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

17. King James Bond

Ray,

I used the NLT.

You posted,

Salvation itself, by grace through faith is a gift given to sinners.

It is grace that saves sinners.....Ephesians 2:8;

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.....

Tell me what part or parts is from yourself?

You posted,

Ummmmm lets see now...which part of "I hold to the London Baptist Confession of faith" would you not understand?

"Then the Lord said to him, 'Take off your sandals; the place where you are standing is holy ground. I have indeed seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their groaning and have come down to set them free .

I would say God can save His people. Even those "my people" were obstinate stiff necked rebels. And He certainly has the ability to set free.

Acts 7:51 clearly says people resist the Holy Spirit but it does not claim that people resist His ultimate saving grace. It is speaking of the natural bent and sinful will of man in his nature of resistance and active rebellion to God.

People by nature resist the Holy Spirit but they cannot ultimately resist the Holy Spirit.

May I ask you if John the Baptist had to ask for or resist the Holy Spirit to come into him?

Did God make John the Baptist who he was, or was it John and other men that made John who he was?

Here is a verse to help out;

"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb ."

A for John 5:40......Well you know Ray ole chap......I would suggest you read how those in this natural resistance cross over from death to life. Start a little earlier in John 5;

For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.

It is quite clear that life is given to the dead.....and not all the dead are given life. The dead that hear will hear, and the dead that do not hear will not hear......but I can assure you His sheep will hear His voice. And they will live.

Isaiah 63:10; Please read more of the chapter... http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?search=isaiah%2063;&version=31; I am not going to flood the board here;

prophecynut;

I agree! Faith is a gift.

Phil 1:29 For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,

KJB

18. King James Bond

"So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."

What does not depend on a mans willing or running?

The mercy of God does not depend on a mans will.

Our Sovereign God shows mercy as He wills and to who He wills. It does not depend on anything in the person. There exists nothing in the person of their own that merits His mercy.

Not even their will!

Some people will cry foul on God and say thats not fair. They do not think it is fair that God could raise a person up and also destroy the same person. They cry God must treat everybody exactly the same. So there must be free-will!

“Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will.”

That really says it folks. It says what it means and it means what it says.

He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. That means we only existed in His thoughts.

He chose to adopt a certain people before He ever made them. All according to the kind intention of His will.

There is no other to thank! His will, will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

John 6:39, “And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.”

And we give all thanks to our God.

KJB