1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purgatory - or sola scriptura: choose ONE

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some here claim that just reading the Bible they come up with all the man-made traditions of the RCC.

But has anyone here ever heard of someone who read the book of Matthew (or NT or OT) who then said "SEE here is Purgatory" without ALREADY being RCC?

The point is that the test case of just reading the Word of God to see what IT says results in no text that would lead some to "conclude" purgatory UNLESS they were already RC.

Do you know of anyone -- NON Catholic that "read the Bible and believed in Purgatory" while NOT Catholic simply because they thought that the Bible told them to think of a non-heaven place of torment??

So it is better to rest our faith in man-made tradition or the Word of God?

In Christ,

Bob

2. Davyboy

Davyboy Member

When did the RCC invent purgatory?
    And besides 2 Maccabees, where do the RCC get this doctrine (if anywhere else)?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since purgatory and some other rcc doctrines are not in the bible, but are man made, and many contradict the bible, one might conclude that the rcc does not believe the bible.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

would the guy sending me the constant PMs please stop

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The OP presupposes that the Bible is or should be the sole source of doctrine.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

More precisely, the OP ignores the fact that Purgatory is based upon the LXX Old Testament...

7. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Begging the question?

I'm not RCC, but to say that someone can, "just reading the Bible," "come up with all the man-made traditions" of Catholicism is assuming your point a priori. If they can be found in the Bible, they might not be man-made traditions, but might be part of the Holy Tradition of the apostles. Not that the apostles weren't men, of course.

Also, you seem to assume solo scriptura (not really sola scriptura) is the correct basis for one's faith, that each individual, rather than the Church corporate, will be led into all truth by the Holy Spirit, and that this leading will only be done by examining that part of Tradition accepted and taught by the Church that was written.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would rather become like the Robber at the Cross who went to Paradise directly than to become a Catholic believing in Purgatory.

Why do the people try to replace the Bible with other complicated human theories?
    Bible Truth is simple to understand and believe.
    There is no purgatory other than what Jesus has done at the Cross.

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

....but Bob you read a bible with bits trimmed out of it...all the bits that make you uncomfortable

.....if Jesus referred to the Septuagint why is that not good enough for us.....

#9 Melanie, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

From my own perspective, the Reformed tradition accepts the Masoretic Text rather than the LXX. This being said, I don't think I can rationally condemn someone who considers the LXX authoritative, since (as you said) Christ and the disciples apparently did.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you mean to say "If they CAN'T be found in the Bible THEN they are from the Apostles verbal/oral tradition"???

#1. How is NOT finding them in the Bible - "proof" that Paul actually taught the doctrine!!??

#2. WHY in the world would the Apostles NOT write out the doctrines that they were teaching when in fact they were at the LOWEST point (number-wise) ever in all of history and NEEDED a written exact transcription for doctrine even MORE in days when person-to-person encounters were FEW and FAR between!!

How many churches do you know of today that DON'T write out their beliefs!!??

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What part of my posts here show that I "prefer to trim out some part of the Bible"??

Jesus never said "The Septuagint says" because He viewed scripture as the Word of God EVEN if it was TRANSLATED.

And so do I.

Are you really questioning that?