1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Puritanism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, May 14, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I have.

Puritan theology maintained the RCC doctrine that the government is a part of the church. Puritan doctrine taught that the Puritans were God's elect people charged with purifying the world (hence the name "Puritan").

Puritan doctrine taught that Baptists were heretics and the Puritans Church was charged by God with ending the heresy of "believers baptism" as it placed the souks of men in danger. It taught that Quakers held a greater heresy and they should be killed.

That was not their doctrine as a whole, but it was a part of their doctrine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not all know this because that is untrue.

Puritans also persecuted Anabaptists. Anabaptist believed that the Church and government were separate - NEVER to be combined.

The Baptists imprisoned by the Puritans held a theology that taught the separation of Church and State.

The Quakers believed in separation of secular government and church. They were murdered by the Puritans for their anti-Anglican beliefs. The Quakers refused to remove their hats when passing government officials. They believed all Christians were guided by the Spirit.

3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not disagreeing that there was a huge political aspect to Puritan life in the 1600's. We all agree on that. Martyn Lloyd-Jones spent a large part of his address at the Puritan conference one year on the fight over the vestments and so on. We get that. But you have said that there is some deficiency in Puritan theology and you have not shown it. We get it that they were also a political party. But the framework was in place before they came to power. Why do you thing Bunyan spent 12 years in prison.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It goes beyond political.

I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this.

Puritan doctrine (their theology) taught that Puritans were God's elect charged with purifying the world. That was their major distinction.

Yes, the framework was Roman Catholic (as is much of Reformed theology). But they carried it over into their theology. Others did not.

Quakers didn't. Baptists didn't. Anabaptists didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't you ever read about Munster, where the Anabaptists took control. Have you noticed the thriving diversity in Amish country? Yes, it is good that we have separated out the church from the state. I think that is a genuine area of progress that went wrong probably with Constantine. But stop acting like the Puritans were the only ones involved in this and that that is the only contribution they made. It won't fly. Luther didn't like Anabaptists or Jews. Neither did Calvin. For that matter Abe Lincoln never thought races could live together in peace. We are all products of our time and full of sin and error. You wouldn't last a week in a 1650 Puritan run town but they would probably hang you the same day they hung me. We will be judged just as harshly for things we tolerate and things we do if things are still going 3 hundred years from now.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please remember also - we are not talking about neo-Puritanism (what you hold). We are talking about Puritanism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It is not. When these modern reformed guys from Alistair Begg to John MacArthur read the Puritans they are NOT trying to get marching orders to purify the world and take over the government.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have read of the Munster Anabaptists. They held a theology that was not actually Anabaptist theology (they were not pacifists, for example).

Our theology SHOULD be judged harshly in the future. We don't want our children to make the same mistakes.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that isn't the topic of the OP.

This thread is about Puritanism, NOT neo-Puritanism.

10. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The guys are reading the theology. They all know the political aspect. You complained about the theology. So come up with something that is not the politics or drop it. Do not relabel it for me and then redefine it in your terms. We are reading the actual writers - not about them.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to find evidence to that trend toward enlightenment on our Baptist Board.

I have yet to met a Reformed Advocate who agrees that one or more doctrines of the TULIP are flawed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. If I can't say there were excesses and errors in specific groups of Puritans you can't do it with the Anabaptists. I would say don't do it at all.

13. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have, repeatedly. But I do admit that one of the advantages of having a theology completely made up by yourself is that you never get put in such a position.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't get it

It is not about politics but about how theology effects our lives.

The fundamental aspect of Puritan theology was that God had chosen them to purify the nation of heresy.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure I can. Anabaptist is a broad group. Puritans were not.

The Munster Anabaptists revised Anabaptist theology (they obviously got rid of pacifism and separation of Church and State). This is in the 1500's. They were labeled Anabaptist because they held to believers baptism.

BUT we are talking about the Anabaptists who existed in America.

Puritan Theology taught that it was the God given duty for Puritans to purge the world of Baptists, Quakers, and Baptist. It was their duty to bring the Church of England in a right theological standing before God. Their theology taught that they had entered into a covenant with God and this purification was part of that covenant.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post made me smile.

Did the poster say which points of the TULIP are flawed? Nope, so the "repeatedly" was not to be found in this post.

Did the poster imply I made up my views, as opposed to adopted the views of scholars such as Dr. Dan Wallace? And have I admitted that some of my views missed the mark when shown from scripture I was wrong? You bet.

On the other hand, those pushing published views cannot say those views are unbiblical, because they usually do not know how to study scripture and arrive at an understanding independently derived.

Returning to subject, Baptists come from Separatists. not Puritans. What are the Puritan doctrines of disrepute?

Baptists think congregational polity is biblical, not Presbyterian.
    Baptist think it is important to separate State from Church.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the movie "Cromwell" with Richard Harris playing the lead part. My favorite line is when he says, "The king is not England, and England is not the king!" Which I apply to our country with "The president is not the United States, and the United States is not the president!"

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon. That's just baloney. All these people on here from MacArthur to Begg, who many members read and like, from Spurgeon, Bonar, Ryle, Lloyd-Jones and all the rest, don't seem to understand the purpose and value of what they are reading until Jon comes along and straightens it all out. They were unable to discover the true design behind those guys.

19. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were divergent views on the atonement, the doctrines of grace, how to handle the political issues of the day. No, as far as I am aware no group of Puritans ever burnt down a town, ran an armed revolt against the government, and then set up a kingdom that resembled David Koresh more than a church.

20. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the poster have to stop and completely change the subject to answer your of topic comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.