1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purity balls

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Dec 14, 2007.

1. TC2

TC2 Member

So, where's the guy's purity ball?
    Where's mom, all dressed in sequins, as his 'date'?
    She is, after all, the 'woman' in his family, and so
    should state her vow to help her son remain pure.

But wait, there's usually more money involved on
    the female end of such things, and well, it's good
    enough for the father to do this, usually with just
    a talk, or maybe a 'retreat'. But if so, why don't
    these people (or someone) market such a 'ball'
    for the boys? Aren't they just as important?

I'm sorry, all this focus on the girls virginity, as
    if that's the most important thing she has, is just
    icky. Because there is no corresponding event for
    boys, this smacks of double standard. The boys
    get off with a talk, the girls have to 'marry' their
    father.

No thank you.
    And yes, I think it's wonderful that dads (and moms)
    take the time with their sons to emphasize chasity.
    This is not a slam on such parents, just a point out
    to the hypocritical nature of such things.

2. standingfirminChrist

It is expensive and someone is raking in the bucks. Not only are the stores making money for rings, gowns, tuxedos, catered food, etc., but the church is making money too. The Church that started this scam is charging people 30 dollars each at the door.

It now costs you big bucks to tell your daughter that she is to keep herself pure.

Reckon Timothy and Titus had a door charge when they relayed Paul's writings to the dads and daughters back then? No, wait... the mother's were the one's to teach the daughters.

My how the roles have changed over the years!

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Sopranette, for explaining what purity balls are in the OP. We don't have them in the UK (as far as I am aware). However, recently a Christian girl recently hit the headlines here because she wore a ring such as you desccribe, to school. The school she attended told her to remove it, because it does not allow jewellery to be worn in school. The girl tried to argue that this was discrimination against Christian girls wearing a symbol of their faith. She even took the case to the High Court, but lost the case. I must say that I agree with the court ruling. As the head teacher of the school explained, the ring she wore "is not a Christian symbol, and is not required to be worn by any branch within Christianity". (If the school had tried to stop her stating her biblical views on sex outside of marriage, that would be a different matter). More details of the story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6229098.stm

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Forgive me for saying so, and not to let the male half of the population off scot free, but...

If we could get our young ladies to be concerned about their purity and pledge themselves to be chaste until marriage, that would certainly help the young men to do their part, wouldn't it?

I mean, I am only 50(ish) but I remember when I was a child it was still a considered a sin and brought shame on a family for a girl to have a child out of wedlock (when was the last time you heard that term?). Now it is no big deal in even church circles.

I am all for ANYTHING that challenges our kids of BOTH sexes to keep themselves pure. Wacky as this purity ball thing may seem to some of you if it keeps one young lady or young man from ruining their lives IMHO it is worth it!

And of course, it starts with the family.

#24 Mexdeaf, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

While I would not condemn anyone who has one of these balls, it seems to me to be yet another "program" to replace what parents should already be doing.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Excuse me for paraphrasing this:

If we could get our young men to be concerned about their purity and pledge themselves to be chaste until marriage, that would certainly help the young ladies to do their part, wouldn't it?

I emphasize purity as much with my boy as I do my girls. Far too long has the burden been carried by the ladies because that is where the 'evidence' shows the most. My boy knows the 'evidence' can't be created without TWO people.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have not done this with our daughters but when they turned 13, I took them out to purchase a key -whatever key they wanted. At their birthday dinner, they gave their dad a key and in exchange, they get a piece of jewelry (for both girls - remember I still have another daughter - it's been a silver or gold and diamond cross). When they marry, the giving of the key to the husband will be a part of the ceremony that my husband will do. It's a "ceremony" between their father and themselves and it's really got nothing to do with anyone else. We've brought our girls up from the time they were little to stay pure and at 15 and 17, they've embraced that vision for themselves and have NO desire to have sex - or even date right now! I'm pretty proud of the way they've turned out. Not that WE did a good job but we were faithful in teaching them and THEY are doing a good job of listening and seeking God on their own.

I think the whole huge ceremony thing is getting out of hand. My girls were just invited to a Bat Barakah ceremony for a friend of theirs. It's a blessing ceremony that some Christians have started doing for their daughters (there is also one for boys) where they bless their daughters. I don't know - I think spending $15,000 on something like that is ridiculous. We bless our daughters daily - and I'd rather give them that $15,000 as a gift for their first house. I just don't get spending that kind of money on something like this.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

But, unless it's your money being spent, I don't see why the cost of the thing is even an issue. If somebody else has money to spend on such a thing, I don't see why anybody should care.

Right on.

Right on.

9. standingfirminChrist

Sure, it is other people's money. But even so, all are to be faithful stewards over what God has given them. And God's House is not meant to be a dance hall where people pay to enter.

10. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

God's House is the people, never the building, and the fact that we are "God's House" is the very thing that should keep His people pure. BTW I agree with you about the use of the building and the charge to get in.

11. standingfirminChrist

Since the building where we gather on Sundays and Wednesdays is dedicated to services where we praise God and hear the reading of His Word, I consider that building to be God's house.

I do know it is the people that are the temple of the Holy Spirit. I do know we are His house 'if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.'

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I am with the poster above, the building isn't the Church. The brick and morter isn't mentioned anywhere in Scripture as God's house. The meeting places of Scripture are the peoples' homes in the early Church, and it doesn't say anything about that being the "holy" place God calls His house. Man made tradition.

#32 JerryL, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  13. standingfirminChrist

As I stated, the Body is the temple, but the building should be dedicated to the service of the Lord. The Lord drove those who were making a profit out of the Temple in the Gospels, and He referred that temple to 'My Father's House.'

Have you dedicated your meeting place to God? Then it is God's House as well.

Have you dedicated your home to Him? Then it is His.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

So now, it's not even an, "I wouldn't do that."

It's now, "This is sinful."

Good grief...

Chapter and verse? Exactly where did it become sinful to charge admission at an event held in a church building? I thought we were the Temple of the Holy Spirit...when did we revert back to OT? I'm sure that you would not use the term "dance hall" just to evoke negative opinions...wait...yes you would.

Oh, I forgot....SFIC doesn't like it, so it must be sinful.

My problem with your take on this subject is not that you don't like it...it's that you feel like you can tell folks it's wrong. That tramples on the concept of Priesthood of the Believer.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's a difference in the extortionistic profit made by the moneychangers, and re-couping one's cost on an event.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a Great Question

If the guys were included, maybe it could be called "the Purity Prom?"

Pastor Paul :type:

17. standingfirminChrist

Priesthood of the Believer does not mean what the Believer feels is ok.

Jesus drove those who were selling and buying out of the Temple. Perfect reason we should not allow such idiocy as cover charges for an event in the Building we call a Church;

#37 standingfirminChrist, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  18. standingfirminChrist

What's the cost? 30 dollars a person for 2 or three dollars worth of electricity? 30 dollars per person for maybe 40 dollars worth of

There is no justification!

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nice dig..."cover charges." That was intentional.

What disturbs me is how flippantly you declare things to be sinful...without having the whole story, without having Scriptural support to back you up, etc.

I grew up under this kind of legalistic thinking. I know how damaging it can be. So yes, I'm sensitive to it.

This is where you respond and declare it's not legalism, and that I'm the one with the problem (see, I've dealt with this way of thinking before....many times).

By the way...the issue was not a total prohibition of buying and selling...but was rather that the moneychangers were capitalizing on folks's need for spotless animals...they were thus charging exorbitant prices. It was the greed that prompted the "thieves" comment from the Lord.

Um...there are other monetary factors involved: food...entertainment....decorations. Be intellectually honest.

I do lots of events in which we charge. I don't make a profit, and I don't let money keep one from coming. But events cost money to put on. You're being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

#39 rbell, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Like I mentioned...we do a guys' retreat. It has a "becoming and being a man of God" kind of theme. We talk about things such as purity, conquering lust, being a "real man," and how it relates to strength, faithfulness, spiritual leadership, etc.

Boys are invited, along with their dads, or step-dads, or "father figure" in their life. The problem we run into.....there's several guys who don't have a single fella that fills any one of the aforementioned roles. And it's tough to handle it.

But I'm sure that in the minds of some, that's greedy and evil as well. :rolleyes: