1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purple Heart

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, May 8, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reading an article by Jack Reed.

The article stated:

One of my West Point roommates said after reading this that there should be different grades of Purple Hearts for posthumous, disabling wounds, serious wounds that heal, and John Kerryesque boo boos that require no medical treatment. I suggest a Pink Heart or a TS card for the last category. I also suggest Blue Hearts or some such for line-of-duty deaths and serious injuries not caused by the enemy like Pat Tillman’s friendly-fire death.

So what are your thoughts: Should there be different levels of a Purple Heart?

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that after reading about Mr. Kerry's purple hearts, I thought my Uncle's injury, where initially his dog tag was pulled and left for dead, then discovered still alive but spent about a year in recovery, that his purple heart was worth far more honor. Often we hear that hero's run toward the gunfire, and so since my Uncle was transporting land mines to help to stop German tanks during the Battle of the Bulge, he qualified. In later years, as he walked with limp, he would not talk about his injuries, he was just doing his job. As for me, when I looked at the display of his purple heart, I would think "yeah, he was just doing his job."

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friendly fire is not very friendly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the purple heart should stay as is. It does not signify the action but an injury in service. Other awards address the action.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I look at this way:
    I am a service connected vet. However, my injury is NOT combat related.
    My permanent injury qualifies me to be a member of the DAV (Disabled Americian Vet)
    How can I compare my injury (comparative minor) to those who have lost limbs and other
    major inuries.

Yes, I would like to see 2 or 3 categories of Purple Hearts.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. I know someone who got a purple heart because someone hit him with a 2x4 (caused a bruise). A friend of mine got one because an IED exploded and he had to have reconstructive surgery. Those two are not the same. Another friend died when his vehicle hit a mine.

I still say leave it the same. Or come up with another award. I don't know. I never got a purple heart (I have a service connected disability but not directly combat related) .

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, when i was stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome NY the Air Force at that time (1961-1964) contracted the mess hall out to local civilians.

We felt we deserved purple hearts for having to eat the chow. Food poisoning, etc...

Fortunately i had a midnite chow pass - they had a great crew of cooks, FRESH EGGS, real butter, bacon was a little soggy, but sausage WAS GREAT. I remember super pancakes when the SAC CREW returned from their mission.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not saying it applies here, but 1 Samuel 30 is nonetheless instructive:

23 David replied, “No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the Lord has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us. 24 Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.” 25 David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this.​

In any case, anyone who serves diligently in the military should be honored for their service.

That said, if I had gotten a Purple Heart, or any medal, for a minor injury, I don’t think I’d show it off, or even mention it, unless required by law, or I wanted to get a laugh. I probably wouldn't shun any monetary award for it though. :Wink

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Salty,

Here is some think kinda along what you were saying.

When I was stationed in DC a friend earned an ARCOM for helping another unit armt a hot dog sale.

In Bosnia I earned an ARCOM for marking an exit through a mined area with a mine dector and probe (granted, I volunteered but that was because I was bored).

In hindsight selling hot dogs was probably the safer bet.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hot dog did not even deserve a AAM!
    The Mind field - I would not oppose

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never understood the hot dog thing. I was a Psych Tech at Walter Reed as was the soldier who got the award.

I actually disagreed with the minefield thing. I was a combat engineer and that was my job.

I think awards should be given for actions beyond the scope of duty.