1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purpose Driven Life for youth?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 12, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

My church is getting ready to start the Purpose Driven Life study in Sunday school classes. I teach the middle/high school group. Does anyone know of a good approach for how to teach this to the younger crowd?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You won't have to actually do anyting. There is a weekly video, and then discussion questions provided for you. You aren't even teaching, only facilitating. ostly you'll want to encourage them to do their daily reading, which includes lots of scripture. I looked mine up to read it in my bible.

3. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church is starting this series in April I believe. Our pastor is looking forward to it, as are a number of members.

4. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

As simple as the book is, anyone with half a brain should be able to understand it. That's not an attack on the book, don't take it that way at all. But it isn't a hard book so it should be easy to teach. Especially with the video and such.

I do HIGHLY suggest you look of the Scriptures he references. ESPECIALLY where he uses Eugene Peterson's The Message. 9 times out of 10 the paraphrase he uses to back his point says something completely different than what the actual text of the Bible reads. That is also something I would direct your youth to do. Look his Scriptures up. Just because he says, "The Bible says..." doesn't mean that what he puts in italics is exactly what the Bible says.

Just some thoughts.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I just don't want it to be boring to the youth.

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

chipsgirl,

The material provided in the campaign package ( If you orsdered one) has very little for youth. They say there is matterial for younger age groups, but it is minimal. There are print out journals for devotions, but the rest is going to take creativity. I agree with some of the other posts about scripture referances. The purposes are biblical, but Warren doesn't always use appropriate text to make his point. Experiment is probebly the key for the youth minstry in this endevour.

7. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Expirament is the key in most of youth ministry to be honest (I am a youth minister myself).

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone gave me a daily Purpose Driven for Life book, and since the majority of it was NIV, I got rid of it.

watered down Christianity, in my opinion.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your loss. Warren intentionally used a number of versions and paraphrases (and even translates some himself) since that reflects the modern church.

I would agree that working with Scripture (the only thing that will change lives) is good, supplementing the text with more Bible.

And work on getting teens to illustrate it with their own examples. The first few weeks it is tough to get them to open, but I've found that they really had LOTS to share. You may want to "prime the pump", having some leaders and some teens ready to share on certain points.

Verifying the truth of the lesson with personal testimony is a WONDERFUL way to show the reality of Christ to other teens.