1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purpose Driven Life is dangerous

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Psalm145 3, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm a sinner, and comfortable in the church. You're a sinner too. I hope you're in a church you're comfortable in.

Whatever happenned to the love of God?

It offended you, didn't it?

Did it. They're notable opinions. There are other opinions that differ. ou know what they say about opinions.

Now, for me, I've read Warren's book, and, while it wasn't for me, I saw nothing unscritural about them. However, PDL isn't for everyone, just like no book by any preacher is for everyone. The difference between me and thee is I can discern between "evil" and "not for me". If everything that was "not for me" was "evil" then brussel sprouts would send a person to hell.

Still, I find it amusing that you complain that the book doesn't offend anyone, then you go on to list several URL's by people who appear to have been offended by the book.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pastor Larry:

I agree with you. But when I see what scripture reads I have to discount what someone says when he is not a doer.

James 1:22, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.

If one is not a doer he is deluded. The words that come from that kind of source will produce thoughts consistent with their disobedience.

Compare that to Hebrews 13:7, "Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith."

An elderly gentlemen mentioned to me early in my ministry that he has never seen a person get far off who was consistently doing evangelism. I think I have to agree.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I would have to have serious disagreements with this. But as to your first statement about disregarding the words of "non-doers," I would say we need to judge their words based on teh truth of them. In other words, the test of truth is not whether someone does something. The test of truth is Does it conform to reality ... .

But all in all ... a minor point ... I would just caution us to be more discerning ...

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

gb93433,

This is just a brief note to tell you that I enjoyed reading your 2nd post on the first page in this thread, and that I was ministered to by it. Thank you!

5. Craigbythesea

I could not run fast enough to get out of a church like that!

6. Craigbythesea

I never (I hope) discount the truth, no matter who says or writes it.

7. Craigbythesea

This thread has been helpful to me and I wish to thank all of you who participated in it. Thank you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]