1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purpose of OT Sacrifice

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachTREE, Jul 2, 2006.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I believe that OT saints were saved by faith alone. What exactly was the purpose of animal sacrifices other than the fact it was commanded? I hold to the belief that it was symbolic rather than the means to "cover" sins. Help me out! thanks.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It was a type of the death and shed blood of The Sacrifice that was to come in Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not think it actually covered sins. First of all, it was done because God told them to do it. It forshadowed what Christ would do on the cross. Hebrews really goes into depth on this, and it can get quite deep. (way beyond me). I agree with you. They were saved by faith and it was counted as righteousness looking forward to the cross. Thats the best way I can express it.

4. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Ro 3:25 Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

eg: remitting sins without redeeming them

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

As well as pointing to the sacrifice of Christ, it showed clearly how death is the result of sin (just look in Lev. at the blood sacrifices, and how many times they had to sacrifice animals for all kinds of sin - constant death and blood), and the deadly cost of sin against God.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It could only cover sin, it could not take sin away and did nothing for the guilty stain...

Read Heb 10 very carefully.

[1] For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    [2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    [3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    [4] For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
    [5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    [6] In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
    [7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
    [8] Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
    [9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
    [10] By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    [11] And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
    [12] But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    [13] From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
    [14] For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It is sad to think we would all be vegetarians if it were not for sin???

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Not sad for me! I have been a vegetarian since 1977. I think that is one reason people think I'm younger than I am - eating meat supposedly makes your skin age faster. :smilewinkgrin: :flower:

We are not going to be eating meat in heaven. :praise:

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ture, so I better eat another T-Bone before I go, it'll be an eternity before I get another.

Are you a vegan or just a vegetarian? Do you eat dairy etc...?

10. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Wow Marcia---I love a good steak and people say I only look about 46 and I am really 47---LOL:laugh:

Bro Tony

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm vegetarian. I was vegan for about 2 yrs. back in the 80's (at my former husband's insistence). Vegan is no animal products, including using leather or eating honey.

There's a story behind it - here is the short version. :smilewinkgrin: I became vegetarian when I was an animal rights activist and felt hypocritical about eating meat. I also became a pantheist and believed that the lives of animals were equal to humans. After I became a believer at the end of '90, I was already used to not having meat and had lost my taste for it completely. Also, while an activist, I became aware of factory farm conditions and a lot of animal abuse that goes on in the production of meat. So I kept on being a vegetarian. I am an animal lover still, :love2: but naturally, I am not a pantheist!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One of the responses said covered sins vs removed sin. It did cover them but did not remove them. Could someone give me their idea what that means? If Christ just covered our sins but didnt remove them, it seems salvation would just be a dream.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Mic 7:19He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
    20: Thou wilt perform the truth to Jacob, and the mercy to Abraham, which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the days of old

14. Rex77

Rex77 Member

saturneptune quote
    ----------------------------------------------
    One of the responses said covered sins vs removed sin. It did cover them but did not remove them. Could someone give me their idea what that means? If Christ just covered our sins but didnt remove them, it seems salvation would just be a dream.
    -------------------------------------------------------

That was OT saints only.
    Ours after the cross are gone forever.
    Now also the OT saints.

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has already been stated how the O.T. sacrifices were a shadow of the sacrifice of Christ. They believed the promises of God concerning the Messiah. They were saved by faith.

The sacrificial system for sin offerings was put into place for sins that were committed unintentionally (Lev. 4:2). There was no sacrifice for sins committed intentionally. You could only be forgiven by God's grace and mercy (i.e. David's sin with Bathsheba)

It wasn't just symbolic. The leader placed his hand on the head of the animal (4:24) and the throat was cut, the animal died, and the blood sprinkled. The sin was "tranferred" to the animal and the animal bore the penalty (death), which appeased God for one year.

peace to you:praise:

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Isaiah, chapter 43

25: I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.