1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Push Polling -- What To Watch Out For

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Oct 26, 2006.

?
  1. no it should be legal ..it is freedom of speech

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. yes is should be illegal its abuse of electoral process

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I have other solution or opinion

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-johnson/push-polling-what-to-w_b_32545.html

http://www.patriotproject.com/2006/10/push_polling_wh_1.php

People across the country are receiving calls from organizations claiming to be taking opinion polls, but then assaulting the listener with the most horrible, slanderous, nasty smears about candidates that sometimes continues until the listener hangs up. The recipients of such calls are victims of push polls.

Push Polling needs to be abolished in our electoral system...yes or no

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good topic, ASLANSPAL.

I guess there could be a registry created and people could sign up to not be called by such groups.

I have caller ID. If I don't recognize the name or number, then I usually don't answer the call and let it go to the answering machine which I can hear if the caller starts to leave a message.

3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

It is time to put an end to this practice ....

It is time to put an end to this practice ....and bring everything into the light...pour some sunshine laws on ...have candidates debate more...get big money out of politics and by making push polls illegal with big fines and prison time would cut down on those who want to hurt our nation and disenfranchise others with lies and half truths. imho

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I usually get a couple each week, on average. I must say though, I haven't gotten nearly as many this year. Maybe it's because I keep hanging up on them.

If I was getting 10 a day, I would say make it illegal. At that point, it becomes a nuisance and intrudes on my personal life.

As of right now, it's kind of annoying, but I usually hang up in the first 10 seconds of the conversation, so it's nothing I can't deal with. It's usually a recording at the start anyway.

I guess the reason I'm not receiving as many is because I didn't send my "dues" in to the RNC this year, I haven't signed up on any political message boards this year, and I hang up on them when they do call. Maybe they've taken me off most of the lists.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think it would probably be protected by free speech. No one is forced to answer their phone or listen. I would love to see a law that forces the callers to identify themselves and the organization at the start of the call but these polls are going to be run by secondary corporations to separate them from actual candidates anyway.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I think so, too.

It's annoying, though.

Yeah, they do identify themselves by the secondary corporation. Their spiel gives them away, but by then, they have already wasted your time. It may backfire and creat hostility towards the candidate they favor.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How would a law define a "push poll"? What is a push poll to some is not to others. Polling is not an abuse of the electoral process. It is annoying, but hang up. Don't listen, and don't respond (and then don't complain when your side is underrepresented in the polling results).

For someone who is supposed to be all about the government not taking away liberty and freedom, this is a very strange thread for AP to put. He doesn't want the government to take away liberty and freedom, but he wants them to outlaw push polls??? Um ... that doesn't work.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I guess I'm just mean...

when a pollster calls me, I deliberately give them as much bad information as possible.

One of my better calls--I convinced the pollster I was a widowed Eskimo Democrat, 13 kids, making less than $12,000 per year. I answered "no" to the questions:
    "do you think that accountability in government is important?"
    "do you think your best interests should be represented in congress?"

When asked, "what is the most important issues facing your congressional leaders today?" I responded, "Unauthorized removal of mattress tags." At that point, she hung up on me. Go figure.

My motto: confuse the pollsters. A few more like me, and we'd quit listening to them altogether.

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

edited for clarity.

#9 hillclimber1, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-johnson/push-polling-what-to-w_b_32545.html

A previous Patriot Project post, Push Polling – What Is It?, discussed what push polling is and why it is effective.
    Push polls are, unfortunately, effective. The method bestows an impression of credibility on the information being passed to the caller. Thinking they are participating in a legitimate public opinion poll, many people naturally assume they are being asked about something that has been in the news or is common knowledge. People assume such information is valid and have no way to know that the call is nothing more than one more campaign commercial, inn disguise and arriving through an unexpected channel.

Another reason push polling is effective is that, by presenting the campaign message as an opinion poll, it reaches an audience that would otherwise tune it out, like skipping past TV commercials while watching TV. As people become immunized against commercials it takes more and more exposures to the ad’s message before it begins to sink in. But people are listening, paying attention, because they think they are being asked to respond to a “question.” If voters understood that the call was coming from a campaign they would not only tune it out, it could backfire on the source.
    A third reason push polls are effective is that they are conducted “under the radar.” Large numbers of people can be reached with a push poll before word starts to get out that this is happening. So campaigns do not have time to mount an effective response.

As a Christian this is deception and according to this expert it works and takes advantage of short term periods just before voting so as to take advantage of the opponent ...I am advocating this cease and in its place sunshine shining down on the electoral process with even more debates and big money taken out of politics.(got that larry)

How can anyone be in favor of deception from either side taking advantage of voters who are going to vote but are not
    involved with the political science daily...they could be swayed by this deception and fear mongering.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It may be deception. It may not be. But being a Christian is irrelevant to this particular topic. There are no limits on who can do polls. I can pick up the phone right now and start dialing numbers and taking polls. I can ask whatever questions I want to to find out whatever I want to know. And they may be leading questions, (which is what a push poll asks), but that is not illegal.

yes, i got it the first time you said it. And I still find it strange that you are in favor of government restriction of freedom and rights.

I agree, but having read the arguments from you on this forum I find that you hardly have any moral high ground from which to make this argument. Many things that happen in campaigns are deceptive through their slant or presentation. There are not enough paper in this country to contain the laws it would take to change it through legal means.

#11 Pastor Larry, Oct 27, 2006
  12. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Really trying to stay on topic about this

yes I am for restriction of deception at a key point in the election cycle to be specific and in favor of bring more sunshine into the balance...as I have stated ..now you have not offered anything by all means offer away. This expert has stated that push polls work and deceive ...freedom of deception or freedom of speech ..I say it is deception that is an attribute of the snake in the garden. If we can get it out of politics the better for everyone.

Larry glad you agree the other part you said was just wasted breath ..believe it or not I am a Priest King. :smilewinkgrin: as so are you.

#12 ASLANSPAL, Oct 27, 2006
  13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So who gets to decide what is deception?

Offer what??? What am I supposed to offer?

If you are going to eliminate deception from politics you must eliminate all ads and all debates. You must eliminate any form of political communication. In fact, many of your own posts on this forum would be forbidden because they too include deception.

And who gets to decide what deception is? You want to put that in the hands of the court?

Huh??? I didn't say anything about wasted breath. What are you talking about?

14. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Before I had an E-Mail spam preventer, I used to highlight maybe 20-30 spams at a time, then hit the delete button once. Worked great. However, with push polls, one has to answer and hang up several times. Some of them I don't mind. Some are from persons I want to vote for. Some are from fraternal organizations that I'm a member of. The problem is, I don't know that until I've listened to the first 10 or 15 seconds of the spiel. I'm leaning toward creating a "do not call" list for people who don't want to hear from politicians around election time.