1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Q & A For New Seminary and/or College Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Rhet,
    Thanks for the site. I listened to a couple of the lectures yesterday.

I am sure that Calvin wrote all of the material.I suppose it is just my warped sense of humor that made me make those comments.What with the German school of higher critisism and all I could'nt help myself, it was just to easy.

2. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Hi, guys and gals!

I'm new to the board as a poster, but I've been reading this site for a while.

I'm concerned about what is going on at Trinity, as I'm a student in the M. Div. program there. My email to the North Central Association was met with a "public disclosure" statement from May, stating that Trinity Newburgh had postponed the NCA accredidation visit.

I'm looking for new schools that are going to be able to help me. I have two classes (6 hours) completed that I'm hoping will transfer. The work for these courses was extremely rigourous, and I have the papers and course materials to back it up. I also am the father of two young boys (2 years and 11 weeks) and I am a full-time pastor. I cannot pack up the family and move to seminary. I've touched base via email with Liberty, but what other distance learning programs out there are good?

Pray for me, I'm a little discouraged right now!

Blessings,

nkypastor

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help!

nkypastor,

It might help some of us "older hands" if we know some more about you.

Where do you live?

What did you study in your BA/BS degree?

Is your BA/BS accredited?

Why do you think you cannot move or relocate?

Do you have to have a Master of Divinity or would a university MA do?

Do you want to go on to do graduate studies, IE. the PhD?

Fill in some blanks and maybe some of us can speak to your situation a bit better.

By-the-by, I would encourage you to "take heart in the Lord." This education stuff can "bum you out" very easily if you let it. On the other hand, you have come into the market place in a time when there are more and more options than ever.

Just a short edited note:
    I just now noticed that you are from N KY. Why don't you get yourself quick, fast, and in a hurry to The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

#23 Rhetorician, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  4. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Financial Help!

nkypastor,

I am sorry that you were disappointed and let down by the Financial Aid Office at Southern. Southern is custom made for you where you are. It did have a "Monday only" program for the busy pastor such as yourself. I would encourage you to try it again. That problem may just be a small hurdle the Lord placed there to check out your perseverance and commitment to education.

As far as the driving is concerned; I commuted from Memphis to Louisville for two semesters and a J-Term in order to finish my MDiv. That is about 360 miles one way every week! While at the same time I worked full-time as a pharmacy technician 3-11 shift, had a part time ministry, and even taught New Testament @ a local Bible College one semester. So, it can be done if I can do it; anyone can.

Concerning the money help, I would check with your own church. Pitch to them that they are going to benefit if you get an education. Maybe you can contract not to go anywhere for a period of time. Secondly, check with the KY state BC. I am sure there are some monies out there some where. Thirdly, check with your local association. Fourth, I got some money for educational assistance from the SBC Foundation in Nashville.

Money is available and out there. Some times we (you and I) have to step out on faith to prove the Lord. I don't mean that to sound "super spiritual," but I have seen God work in my own life and ministry so so many times.

Just an additional note. Personally, I would steer clear of any school that has ethical problems and is not accredited. IMHO! No slander or malice intended on any level!!!

Stay by the stuff!:applause:

sdg!

rd

#25 Rhetorician, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well good, because I’ve been trying to figure out how and where to begin a formal education with a goal toward Christian ministry. It would probably help if tell you a little about myself. For several years I have been increasingly so on fire for the Lord; I have trouble keeping my mind on anything else and all I can see coming my way could be compared to gasoline.

But in my past self analyses while considering the development of the scholastic skills I felt I would need to properly deal with my unquenchable hunger seemed rather hopeless. Never the less, even though I tried, I could not deny God’s drawing and apparent need to be equipped so I was left looking at the ridiculous position I was in; this being my life had begun with a severe, much more serious than the average, ADD type learning disability going as far as causing a speech impediment so that it wasn’t until the age of 11 with the help of therapists and hard practice that I could communicate verbally. Reading was extremely difficult and frustrating, not that I couldn’t comprehend but that I couldn’t keep my focus and I’d only received an undeserved 8th grade diploma, since then a G.E.D. and although still a bit slow my literary skills have greatly improved and are steadily increasing.

So here I sit rather late in life to be considering it being 48 but after being brought to my knees in tears many times experiencing God’s love, I’m no longer able to resist or deny that God has a plan for me to grow beyond what I would have considered possible in ministry. It may not seem practical to me and it may seem an odd way to express it, but, I’m stuck, I desire nothing else and it doesn’t matter if it makes sense, I don’t know where it will lead me, but I know all this preparation isn’t for not and I ought to take the next step and “attempt” college.

I started checking into colleges a few months ago, knowing absolutely nothing about it. So here is what I figure and please correct me if I’m wrong and excuse my ignorance:

Seminary which offers the type of classes I would like to take is only for a higher degree as in a Masters, then Doctorate. I thought one would have to have a 4 year bachelor’s degree to even begin at a seminary, but just found out the bachelors may not always be the case.

Bible colleges offer many different kinds of bachelor degrees and many of those not even really focused on ministry so I would want to find one that was really centered on Christian ministry with many options for a good variety should I find myself gaining interest in a certain subject.

Some Bible colleges offer a 2 year Associates degree in Christian ministry and considering my age, and that I will most likely need to remain working full time, and I will be lacking certain skills so college may be very challenging for me and I have no idea how long a 2 year degree may actually take that this may be a more reasonable beginning goal but would be far from what I want and a slow way of getting there. Still, any suggestions for a good 2 year degree would be appreciated.

I may find some good internet courses that I could more easily work into my schedule but I also think interaction within a classroom would carry a lot of benefits. If I could arrange to devote my full time to a semester or two I would think it would be important to find a local Bible college that accepts the same accreditation.

I’m concerned about many of the colleges having doctrinal views in their statement of faith including such things as eschatology, views on baptism, and such; should I be concerned about lining up 100% with these statements or if I happened to see something differently would/could it be held against me?

Last but certainly not least there seminary classes offered locally (Fuller) that appeal to me and I have inquired about them and on the flip side of the “reasonable beginning 2 year degree” which would not really be very satisfying for me; a student there told me there were a least a few attending that had no prior degree what so ever and were admitted for a probationary period to see if they could hack it. That would be an answer to my prayers to be accepted and I would work my tail off, hire a tutor, and do whatever possible in an attempt to accomplish this. So my question is what would it take to prepare quickly and what would they be asking about and looking for to accept me on a trial bases. What to expect?

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Response for Benjamin

Benjamin,

Remember, "Where God guides God provides!" I would take heart. No one who has ever wanted to serve our God has been left alone without a word of what to do next and how to do it and with what resources.

I don't know if you have wrestled through the issue of "the call to preach" or not. That is where I would start. I would tell you that if you can do anything else then go and do that. But, if God has shut his word up in your bones like the prophet of old; then you must follow the call.

When and if you settle that then the educational part will come along in due time with prayer, Bible reading and study, fasting, wise counsel from older and wiser friends, and basically just seeking the Lord until He makes his will and way known to you. And don't let anyone tell you it is easy. Some times in certain situations it may be. But it never has been for me personally.

Next the Southern Baptist Convention has a branch of the Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in Phoenix. It has been a tradition in SBC seminary life since the beginning that there were custom made programs for men who were called to the ministry late in life. It is called the Diploma Program. GGBTS shows that they have such a program at the Phoenix campus. Check it out:

http://www.ggbts.edu/campuses/arizona.html#degrees

I am a late life preacher. I was 30 when the Lord called me to preach, I was a pipe fitter/welder, and left it all to go to seminary. So I have a heart for folk who have little or no education and who make such a big commitment late in the game as it were.

This is a big amount to put on you. But that is exactly why I started the thread. I knew for sure there were other people like you and me out there who might be having a tough time getting started.

There is also another program in the Phoenix area. It is called the Phoenix Theological Seminary. It has a special program for folk who just might want to start looking at the seminary scene. You might check it out too. It does not appear to be as long or as involved at the diploma program mentioned above. It might be what you need to get you into the game initially though. It is called the Enrichment Program. Now be aware I am not too familiar with it. So walk softly as you check it out. Here is the address:

http://www.phoenixseminary.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=180

Get back to us in a day or so and let us know what you think and hit us (me) with any other questions you may have. I know you feel like you are in a maze just now. Part of that will drive you to the Lord anew in a fresh commitment of faith!

Stay by the stuff!:thumbsup:

sdg!

rd

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rhet,

At the Phoenix seminary the Enrichment program has no grades or credit hours given so I don’t see how that will move me closer unto becoming a minister. They do have Graduate diplomas for those who wish to test their skills? And it also states that the course work can be applied to a Masters degree, so I would guess at least some the credits for the course would count? I may have to go by and talk to a counselor to see how it all works.

At the GGBTS they have Diploma in Theology degrees that is stated to be the same as a Masters degree but I don’t understand what the separation is about. It says students in my situation may be accepted for regular seminary classes to pursue the Diploma in Theology which then up to ½ of the credits may be transferred but to what I’m not sure and it seems a loss of time to lose ½ the credits.

Fuller Theological Seminary seems to offer a larger variety of degrees along with denominational diversity and a higher evangelistic approach. I seem to be more interested in this seminary but am a bit shy to go by not knowing how dumb I might sound trying to get in. Guess you won’t know until you ask, huh? If I’m lacking some necessary skills I guess I will have to pursue them individually and try again.

Ben

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Try again at the web site. I just did and nothing seemed amiss with the site. Also, if they are having financial problems, the faculty list, etc. don't show such at a glance.

Ed

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't gas prices just a bit higher now? :)

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan Response from Rhetorician

Stefan,

Before I begin, I want you to know that this is not directed at you personally!:smilewinkgrin:

It is true that the gas prices are higher.

I was only trying to demonstrate a couple of points:

1. "Where God guides, God provides!" If you really have the "fire in your belly" in a secular sense or "the fire shut up in your bones" in a prophetic sense then you can do (and are willing to do!) what God calls you to do regardless.

Personally, I get rather aggravated with those who come to this section of the BB and want a "quick fix" or "short cut route" to educational excellence. It seems we have forgotten that to be a "disciple of Christ" one must have an extremely high level of personal discipline. Is that not the root of both terms?

But, it seems that folk do not want to move their families in order to do a good academic program or they want a "gimme'" degree especially a "Doctorate" w/out paying the price that Dr. Bob, UZThD, Broadus, myself and several others have paid. It must be remembered in life and very especially in the Christian ministry, "There is no free lunch!"

If God's Call is on your life you will pay any cost. You will get your education in order to do later what God otherwise could not do with you if you continued with an "empty head." There certainly is a place for the "full heart" for Christ, but there is also just as much a place for the "full head" as well.

2. As my colleague Broadus has said so many times and so articulately, there are so many programs of good, formal, accredited, DL programs out there, there is no excuse to get a non-accredited hap-hazard degree. Period!!! Hap-hazard schools produce hap-hazard sometimes have-to-be-done-over-again students and degrees. Choose wisely on the "git go" and you will not have to re-choose later! AMEN!!

The truth of the matter is; if one is committed to the Lordship of Christ, and is called to minister, then there is absolutely positively NO REASON to settle for seconds in your life. NONE!!

This reminds me of the joke about the animals in the barnyard as they discuss the farmer's breakfast. The chicken was not too concerned. But the pig was really upset about the whole affair. "Why are you so worried," quired the chicken, "it is not that big of a deal!" "Not that big of a deal?" lamented the pig! "You only have to make a contribution, I have to make a total commitment!" Forgive the peaching but you get the point!

I would apologize for the rant but you (any of you seeking an education for ministry) might think I am compromising on the issues discussed here.

Do not tell us why you cannot get an education for ministry. Testify to us that it has been hard, I did not know how much I was going to pay for it, it took longer than I thought, it cost(s) my family much, I had to relocated my family, etc., etc., etc., et al. I know one "etc." is sufficient but I want you to know my passion for the topic. Don't look at life circumstances as "reasons why you cannot" get an education but hurdles to be overcome to follow Christ at whatever the costs.

Thinkaboutit!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

#31 Rhetorician, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One extra word!

To all who have an ear:

Knowing that we will give account of ourselves to God; what is the call of Christ on your life really worth? And, what is being the "best educated and equipped" you can be worth?

Thinkaboutit!:thumbsup:

sdg!

rd