1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Qualifications for Bible Translators?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, He is blessing. I have financial backing and a printing ministry all lined up to bring out a pilot version Gospel of John sometime late this year. It will have copious footnotes on salvation. The pilot version is being revised in our committee, which meets every Friday afternoon. [​IMG]

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the cultural aspect has been greatly underestimated in the literature on translating and in the various controversies. Just one example (and PLEASE don't make this a versions thread): the word "mansion" in America means a large, fancy dwelling, but in England it means an apartment. The Japanese language transliterates the British word, so a "manshon" here is a nice apartment.

3. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Forgive me, I felt that simply being fluent in the receptor language was a given.

Example: Lets say there is no translation into Auca. I set out to make one, but I speak English (which has a translation from the Greek/Hebrew) but I do not read either Greek or Hebrew. Lets also assume that there arent many others willing to learn Auca for this purpose.

I would say that my fluency in Auca qualifies me, even though I may not be an expert in linguistics nor understand the biblical languages. A bad translation of the bible is better than none, and surely someone will come behind me and build upon my work.

I hope this better explains my intent.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

True, a bad translation is better than none. One can even find salvation in the NWT. But, it would be preferable if someone were able to translate from the original language(s) into the receptor language, particularly somewhere down the line when there will be many who will be unwilling to give up their first one.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the cultural aspect has been greatly underestimated in the literature on translating and in the various controversies. Just one example (and PLEASE don't make this a versions thread): the word "mansion" in America means a large, fancy dwelling, but in England it means an apartment. The Japanese language transliterates the British word, so a "manshon" here is a nice apartment. </font>[/QUOTE]I meant to say here, "PLEASE don't anyone make this a versions thread." I really didn't expect Rhet to do so--he's a gentleman! [​IMG]

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me, I felt that simply being fluent in the receptor language was a given.

Example: Lets say there is no translation into Auca. I set out to make one, but I speak English (which has a translation from the Greek/Hebrew) but I do not read either Greek or Hebrew. Lets also assume that there arent many others willing to learn Auca for this purpose.

I would say that my fluency in Auca qualifies me, even though I may not be an expert in linguistics nor understand the biblical languages. A bad translation of the bible is better than none, and surely someone will come behind me and build upon my work.

I hope this better explains my intent.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Okay, DD, so you have a minimum of 2 qualifications for a tribal language translator: willingness, and fluency in the receptor language.

I have to believe, though, that a gift for languages, if not formal training, is necessary. (I interpret the "gift of tongues" in Cor. as language ability given by God.) If you read Eugene Nida's works, you get a lot of illustrations about how it is necessary to invent new terms in so-called "primitive" languages, such as airplane being "giant bird that carries people," etc. This is, in fact, the genesis of his dynamic equivalence method. (What did he rename that as??) It was originally for tribal languages, and not for "modern" languages at all! [​IMG]

7. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

very true JoJ. However, may I add that I do not believe that possessing such a gift PRIOR TO undertaking such a responsibility to be necessary.

My point is this: God wants his word to be taken to all nations. Therefore, I feel it is exactly his providence which rises up a willing person, who is fluent in the receptor language. I think you will agree that it is solely God who gives these spiritual gifts (which suprisingly I concur with your interpretation of the gift of tongues, there arent many like us I suppose) and therefore God can bestow upon that person the gift of tongues for just such a purpose, whereas that person may never before nor never again have use of such a gift.

I wouldnt consider it a bold conjecture that this has already occured a time or 2.....

Consider Moses, who was most likely the worst public speaker God could have picked.
    2 things to consider here are:
    "Here am I, send me" Just go, God will do the rest.
    "Where we are weak, he is strong"
    He knows our strengths and weaknesses. He knows what to do with both.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

JoJ I sent you a PM. Also you might want to PM Rhet I think he will have some interesting resources for you if you are concerned.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

JoJ said
    Would you define fluency as something less than the gift of tongues?

BTW, The Bible defines tongues as you do in the instances of I Cor 12-14, but if fluency in other tongues isn't a gift from God, then what is it?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good points, DD. But I have to say the gift (and calling) must be there before learning the language, at a minimum. ;)

I greatly admire those who attempt a tribal language, since they have no dictionaries, grammars or other books, language schools or trained teachers. It is an incredibly difficult task to learn a language from scratch, invent a written language, write your own grammar and dictionaries and then translate a NT with no previous translations to refer to. :cool:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you define fluency as something less than the gift of tongues?

BTW, The Bible defines tongues as you do in the instances of I Cor 12-14, but if fluency in other tongues isn't a gift from God, then what is it?
    </font>[/QUOTE]IMO, fluency is a function of lots of hard study and practice. It is not a gift. God gives the gift of ability, but it must be developed.

There are missionaries who wish they had my fluency in Japanese, but don't seem to realize that I studied full time (35-40 hours a week) for two solid years. I commuted to the language school by train, two hours one way, studying on the way. (The stories I can tell about Japanese rush hour! :eek: ) I would then take three hours of classes, commute home and study for hours more. Then I would go on visitation or tract distribution and try out what I had learned. The second year I was interim pastor of a branch work, and got to try my Japanese even more!

Then, even after I graduated and started church-planting, I would spend hours studying the language every week, especially the Chinese characters.

Believe you me, you don't get fluent in a second language, especially one not in the Indo-european family, without hard, hard work! ;)

P. S. Even the Pentecostals and Charismatics have to study hard at language school! :D

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's both. If you don't have that gift, no amount of study will make you fluent.

When I used to race professionally, there were some people, no matter how much they practiced, ever were very good. Others, were good, with only minimal practice.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Interestingly enough, honesty might be a bigger virtue in a translator than faith.
    A honest person simply tries to translate what is in front of him as well as he can.
    A man of faith is tempted to read the details of his faith in the text even if they aren't there.
    Anglicanism in the English AV
    Catholicism in the Vulgate
    Calvinism in the Dutch AV

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's one reason that I trust secular scholars on many translational issues. They don't have an agenda that forces them to interpret instead of translate. That takes away almost all issues of difference of opinions in the Bible. (Translating instead of interpreting reduces almost all "contradictions" between two different theologies.)

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good point. An honest translator refrains from interpreting the text if at all possible. For example, the translator should seek to retain the ambiguity of the original. If the writer of Scripture was ambiguous in a passage, it was for a purpose: a pun, an effort to cause the reader to think, etc.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's both. If you don't have that gift, no amount of study will make you fluent.

When I used to race professionally, there were some people, no matter how much they practiced, ever were very good. Others, were good, with only minimal practice.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, I disagree here. On occasion a very hard worker with meager talants can become quite fluent in a foreign language.

I worked with a man years ago who went to Japanese language school for three years instead of the usual two. When I asked him why, he said, "Because I needed it, John." There were some lapses in his grammar, and he forever mis-pronounced some words, but all in all he was quite fluent. He headed the Bible Institute I taught in, and he taught the main theological classes.

On the other hand, I've known some with great gifts who never got the language well because they didn't work hard enough at it.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Some people simply cannot spell, no matter how hard they study. Others can spell perfectly with hardly any study. You must be intelligent to spell well, but poor spelling is not necessarily a sign of low intelligence. Some people simply cannot spell. In all languages with an alphabet, spelling is important; in some, it's necessary.

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I want to be sure you understand that I agree with you in general, BTW. Most people do not apply themselves to the best of their abilities, and honesty is a necessity as well. I just think that there are some who are not gifted in a certain area, and no amount of study can overcome that. God has other plans for them.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this to a certain extent. For example, someone who is tone-deaf will have a very hard time with Chinese.

20. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

There you go lets take up an offering and send the brother where he wants to go!! All that is required shuld be what the Bible says. To "Do Justly' "Walk Humbly" "Love mercy" And Matt 6:33 should be a Good Start too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.