1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Qualifications for Pastor

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

An observation to the board on this comment, and especially to those who are bible-believers:

When invited to a discussion with a Roman Catholic family (which turned out to be a mini-inquisition, without the fires of course) the main thing the papists strove for was unity. They desired that we pray together.

If these romanists prayed to the Holy Father as I do (that is, God the Father) through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit, then I might have been minded to pray with them. But I would not for one second even gaze to heaven in unity with them.

The "elder" from the church I attended did so and greatly damaged his fidelity to Jesus is doing so. Brethren, we are not to engage in worship with apostacy, be it papal, mormon, jehovah witness, or otherwise. These do not stand it the truth of the Gospel. And lest we become partakers in their deeds, we must separate ourselves from such things, in loving obedience to Almighty God, and for conscience sake.

2. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

As a Baptist, I had repented of my sins and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and was baptized. I have no doubt I was saved. My salvation 'status' has not changed as a Catholic. I have gained much in the way of spiritual growth though.

As far a being deceived as a Baptist, in matters not salvic I believe I was.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Are you saying then that the gospel preached by Baptists under which you were saved is the same gospel of salvation preached by Rome?

4. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I'm going to quote a friend of mine because I think he is quite accurate:

"The Protestant Gospel is one of Faith in the saving power of Jesus. It is one of complete surrender to God's will and power, with nothing else expected or required of the believer.

The Catholic Gospel is one of Love. Starting with the Love of the father for his creatures, who willingly gave up his son to reconcile us to Himself and who lovingly allows us to decide whether to love him back. The way back to God, is therefore through love of God and love of Neighbor, made possible by his graces and our Faith in those Graces."

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

So, are you saying that they are the very same gospel but looked at from different perspectives?

Are you saying the Baptist gospel of justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone without good works is as much saving as the Catholic doctrine of sacramental salvation through the church and ordinances and personal faithfulness?

Are you saying that Baptists can remain Baptists, never submit to Rome, the pope, the sacraments, but thoroughly reject them as anti-christ and still go to heaven?

P.S. I might add that your friends definition of the Protestant gospel is not the definition of the Baptist gospel "without works"

#25 Dr. Walter, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  6. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Lori, as a former Baptist (SBC?) you know that your friends characterization of the Protestant gospel includes personal works but the Baptist gospel excludes works. So are you not being deceptive and misleading in this response as you know fully well that the baptist gospel denies exactly what your friend includes in his "Protestant" gospel?

The issue between the Baptist gospel and Roman's gospel is "faith alone" for justification is it not???? Why then attempt to deny that distinction in your response when you know it does not represent the Baptist gospel????

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What does the Catechism say about this "doctrine of demons"?

It seems pretty plain to me. There are very few exceptions.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Is it possible that the Baptist gospel which DEMANDS justification "without works" of any kind which also excludes observance of ordinances whereas the RCC gospel which DEMANDS justification through sacraments and good works can be the same gospel?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is mostly correct.
    Salvation is by faith alone in the sacrifice of Christ. One must come to him as a sinner in need of a Saviour. The complete surrender is after salvation. It is not a condition of salvation.
    This is hogwash. The Catholic "gospel" is works from the beginning to the end. It starts with the work of baptism without which no one can be saved. Baptism in the RCC is called the new birth which in and of itself is a heresy. It continues with the work of confirmation. It includes the works of confession, the works of penance, the works of faithful attendance at church, the works of keeping the Ten Commandments, the work of prayer, especially saying the rosary or praying to Mary. It is works from birth to death. There is no salvation within the RCC. There is no way to know for sure that one's sins are forgiven except to take the word of a sinful man (a priest) who himself doesn't know for sure if his sins have been forgiven by God. The Catholic can never know for sure.

He doesn't really believe that Christ died for his sins, else he wouldn't set up the scapegoat of Purgatory where he can pay for the sins that Jesus didn't pay for.

10. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

So, you are defining the precise gospel that you believed as a Baptist to be one of salvation by works as that is exactly what the above definition of the Protestant gospel is, which you, claim is accurate in regard to yourself.

So, you were NEVER a baptist in regard to the Baptist definition of the gospel and therefore not a true Christian according to the Baptist definition of a true Christian.

So, you are STILL a lost but RELIGIOUS man if we define you according to the Baptist gospel and Baptist definition of a true Christian.

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your are avoiding the question with this red-herring.

Your "friends" quote does not answer the question posed to you which I posed to you as well and you never answered. Why not?

Just answer the question;

Was you "saved" while you were a baptist?

If yes, then why the need to change to Catholic?

Your friend has no understanding of the "protestant gospel". The first sentence he got right. After that he is lost.

He then states this as if the protestant gospel does not teach love. The Muslim will tell you they love God and love neighbour. This statement would have them saved as well.

Only through faith in Jesus Christ will one be saved.

Was you saved while being a baptist Lori? If yes, do you feel more saved by being a Catholic?

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't mind the off topic debate on salvation for i would like to know why Lori felt she was saved as a baptist but needed to become a Catholic.

However, I did start this thread because I really wanted to know how different denominations represented here qualify their pastors.

Who here is in a denomination that requires a college degree for example? How about a divorced man? How about a single man?

I know this went off into a catholic debate but catholic doesn't count as a christian denomination, so i don't really care about their qualifications for priest.

13. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I guess I need to re-post this.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you were sure you were saved as a Baptist without baptism, how as a Catholic can you now believe that baptism is necessary to salvation.

The only possible way out of this conundrum that I can see is this:
    To convert to Catholicism, you first would have to renounce your salvation in the Baptist church because it didn't include baptism. In other words you would have to become unsaved, unborn, lose your eternal life, etc.
    Then you would have to be baptized into the Catholic Church in order to be saved, for the new birth is equated to baptism, without which no man can be saved.
    1. Saved in the Baptist Church.
    2. Be "unsaved."
    3. Be saved as a Catholic through baptism.

Is this the process?

15. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok,Can we get back to the OP? :) Can a someone become a Pastor if He was divorced?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If the "pastor" is divorced, then:
    He is not blameless,
    He does not have the rule over his own house (family),
    And possibly he is not the husband of one wife.

The first two alone disqualify him.

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I was baptized in the Baptist church. I did not have to be re-baptized a Catholic nor renounce my faith in Christ because I had made a profession of faith while I was a Baptist. Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

#37 lori4dogs, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a brother who was divorced by his wife and he indeed walked "blameless" before God and men. It was ALL her and her need for infidelity. He forgave and forgave her at least twenty times. Thats right, at least. Finally she left anyways for her love of *** over him.

We need to be careful at applying the "blameless" test.

Then there is good "blameless" men who simply have done ALL they could to raise up a child in the Lord yet the child like ALL of us get caught up in a sin such as fornication. Now suddenly the man loses his "blameless" status and becomes disqualified for pastor?

Not sure that is the spirit of the law or the spirit of Paul's "blameless".

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did you understand that the baptism was not saving you?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I realize this. And that makes a contradiction.
    Baptism is NOT a requirement for salvation. We who believe the Bible say that it is a heresy if one believes they must be baptized to be saved. In the Bible one was always baptized AFTER they were saved, not before. If you were baptized in a Baptist church it was after you professed salvation in Christ, correct?

When joining the Catholic faith baptism is a part of salvation. It is necessary for salvation. Without it one cannot be saved. That is why infants are baptized--to make sure they will gain entrance into heaven. It is that important in RCC theology. In fact they say that baptism IS the New Birth. Without it the Catholic cannot be saved.

So which contradictory belief do you take. You cannot believe both. One is right and the other is wrong. Which one is right? By which system of theology were you saved? Was the Christ of the Bible, that the Baptists put forth, or the Christ of the RCC? It doesn't seem that both can be correct.