1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Qualifications of the Faculty...

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PASTOR MHG, Jul 23, 2007.

1. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

I know that much has been written in the past about the less than appropriate actions of Trinity Theological Seminary in terms of their "accredited" status or lack thereof. However, as i was browsing the website the other day, I couldn't help but notice the qualifications of some of the faculty there. It seems, at least from the list they give, that there are many earned degrees from legitimate institutions. Is the world of academia starting to take notice of Trinity? What credibility does this lend to this institution? Is this a glimmer of hope for the future of Trinity? What think ye?

Here is a brief list of what I found...

James Thorne ThD Westminster Theological Seminary / DTS
    Ronald Clutter ThD SWBTS / DTS
    Elbert Elliot PhD SBTS / Southern Illinois State
    Jeffery Forrey PhD Westminster Theo Sem / TEDS
    Lars Kierspel PhD SBTS
    Mark Simpson PhD TEDS
    Max Sturdivant EdD SBTS
    Katheryn Web PhD MABTS / SBTS
    W. Stephen Williams EdD SBTS
    Ed Martin PhD TEDS / Purdue

A pretty good showing I think.

What are your thoughts?

Max

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I did three classes in the TTS PhD in Bible in 2000. Here's my opinion:

The real issue I think is how profs teach...not what they are qualified to teach.

As there were no qualifying exams or prerequisitefor accredited degrees or ability to use languages or a successful masters thesis to show the ability to research, the skill level of the students in the PhD program was low. Why would it be other wise when it was so simple to get into the doc program?JUST COUGH UP THE $$$

The profs taught to that low level if you define teaching as sending tapes and assigning reading but not thoroughly discussing these with the student and having papers graded not by quality feedback but by checkmarks on a single sheet representing Bloom's taxonomy which every first grade teacher knows of! I taught public school for 35 years and IMO the TTS faculty did not teach.

The " learning"s was about at MA level but I had done work for MA, MDiv, and ThM so found it too simple. Doc students listened to same cassettes and read the same books as did the MA and even the BA students.But a doctorate is not well earned by doing a bunch more masters level stuff.

I dropped out when I realized that TTS lied for years about "world wide accreditation" and "world class teaching" Just ain't so.

Bill G

#2 UZThD, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==No. You will find few, if any, major seminaries that will honor graduate/doctoral degrees/credits from Trinity College of the Bible and Seminary.

==None. The school is not accredited. That means the vast, vast majority of accredited schools will not honor the graduate/doctoral degrees/credits earned at Trinity. Just because some good men have put together courses/lectures for the school does not mean that the school is any good.

==No. Trinity was on the accreditation track and allowed that to fall apart. They seem more interested in raising their numbers than they do in giving their students the service they deserve (meaningful degrees, etc). Personally I believe Trinity is a shameful school.

4. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

I withdrew from Trinity in 2006. I would agree with the other comments stated here. The work just wasn't up to par for a Master's level program. I was always frustrated when I would type a paper, send it in, and only get a checklist back. The professors almost NEVER put any comments down on my papers, and the courses just were not all that rigorous, academically speaking.

I left Trinity after Dr. Hogg was forced out. Instead of doing a proper search, the Chairman of the Trustees was IMMEDIATELY put in as president of the school. Combine that with shady admissions counselors who promise more than they can deliver, you can see why I was upset. Trinity WAS on their way to regional accredidation--Dr. Hogg had positioned them well for that. Yes, their faculty seems to be qualified in terms of their degrees--however, Trinity basically shot themselves in the foot and thus are a laughing stock among seminaries.

When I started at Liberty in January, I noticed that the faculty was more qualified, the studies more rigorous, and the work a lot more intense. I continue to speak out against Trinity. I post on another discussion board, and someone there told us that Trinity is preparing to submit an application to a national accreditor, the Distance Education Training Council (DETC). I will definitely have to share some of my experiences with them--I just don't feel that Trinity's business practices and ethics lend itself to a "seminary" or a accredited institiution.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Trinity announcement

In light of the the preceding posts, I find the following announcement from the President of Trinity to be quite interesting.
    "It is imperitive that I share with you that I have made the determination that we will not offer the Endorsement by Canterbury Christ Church University after August 10th 2007 for any of the British Model degree programs, including the PhD." (Statement made by Dr. Harold Hunter in an email soliciting immediate enrollment.)

One cannot but wonder on which side of the Atlantic that the termination decision was actually made. Please note that Dr. Hunter is still soliciting enrollment for this program until August 10, 2007 although he had determined to terminate the relationship. Intriquing! Any speculation?

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I had heard/read, and I don't recall where, that Canterbury had refused to renew its agreement with Trinity (or something to that affect). Whether that is true or not I honestly doubt Trinity is ending the relationship. After all Trinity has spent how much money and time promoting these types of endorsements? It is not believable that they would willfully end the program. I think things are going from bad to worse for Trinity. They loss their accreditation attempt, some serious questions have been raised by former employees and students, and now they are losing their Canterbury endorsement (which is meaningless in the United States anyway). I hope and pray that this marks the start of the end of Trinity College of the Bible and Seminary. The "school" is a blot on all distance Christian education and the sooner it goes out of business the better everyone else will be. I pray that people start seeing the truth about Trinity and that they do go out of business (asap).

As for them continuing "soliciting enrollment for this program" of course they are! You don't expect them to allow this to slow down their money making machine, do you? That is what Trinity is...a $$ making machine. It is not a school in the sense of Trinity Evangelical, Reformed Theological, Luther Rice, Liberty, Southeastern, etc.

7. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

It doesn't surprise me at all. I contacted the English university myself via email several months ago and nobody at Canterbury would respond to me. I did a search of their website then and could not find any mention of Trinity. Their "British Endorsement" has always been a joke, and I got at least one letter a month in the mail wanting me to spend an extra $200 plus dollars for a nice, glossy sticker.

People CAN learn things through the courses Trinity offers, but they are most definitely NOT on the Master's level. I don't mean to sound negative, but I feel strongly that Trinity engages in deceptive practices. If you are out there and considering this school--don't. As others on here have so stated, there are plenty of other good schools out there. I just wish I would have listened! :BangHead: