1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question – What is your FINAL Authority?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by AVBunyan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither can you. There is no AV1611 apograph, there were two “First Editions” of the AV1611 (Cambridge, Oxford) both with differences continuing on to this day. There have been several revisions/editions of the KJV with hundreds of differences collectively between them and a several hundred year history of corrections. Differences are differences whether one or 400 or 4000 in number, whether "big" or "small" in quality. God is no more capable of one or many “little” errors than He is one or many big ones.
    Since things which are different cannot be the same which of the following revisions of the AV1611 is the “authoritative Scriptures" 1613, 1629, 1638, 1644, 1664, 1701, 1744, 1762, 1769, or 1850?

HankD

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because the Hebrew word for "look" in Numbers 21:8 is not PANAH but RA'AH and there is less complexity to the word. It focuses in on "looking" and "seeing" without a "turning" flavor to it.

Strong's 7200 RA'AH
    Meaning: 1) to see, look at, inspect, perceive, consider 1a) (Qal) 1a1) to see 1a2) to see, perceive 1a3) to see, have vision 1a4) to look at, see, regard, look after, see after, learn about, observe, watch, look upon, look out, find out 1a5) to see, observe, consider, look at, give attention to, discern, distinguish 1a6) to look at, gaze at 1b) (Niphal) 1b1) to appear, present oneself 1b2) to be seen 1b3) to be visible 1c) (Pual) to be seen 1d) (Hiphil) 1d1) to cause to see, show 1d2) to cause to look intently at, behold, cause to gaze at 1e) (Hophal) 1e1) to be caused to see, be shown 1e2) to be exhibited to 1f) (Hithpael) to look at each other, face

KJV Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

ASV Numbers 21:8 And Jehovah said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a standard: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he seeth it, shall live.

NIV Numbers 21:8 The LORD said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live."

NASB Numbers 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard; and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he shall live."

RSV Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live."

NKJ Numbers 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live."

For the most part the KJV does get things right (qualified by "if one speaks Elizabethan-Jacobean English as their native tongue, I do not and neither do you).

Again, this is a different Hebrew word.

HankD

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Of a truth, verily, verily I say to thee, nay!
    I knoweth that I speaketh aright for since it was noised abroad I speaketh the King's English!

[​IMG] LOL

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I depend primarily on people who are trained to accurately translate the Bible... just like almost every other English speaking Christian with a stake in this argument.

But being a language scholar has nothing to do with whether the words of a translation were directly chosen by God.

That has to do with the biblical meaning and scope of inspiration. The Bible declares that scripture is inspired (God breathed) and it qualifies the very special men who were the instruments used by God to deliver scripture to man. Inspiration of words only applies to those men that the Bible qualifies- prophets, apostles, and holy men of old. The last qualified penman's name was John... he died about 1900 years ago.

He didn't mean any "exact words". He meant the substance of what He said irrespective of the words used to communicate it.

Not necessary to recognize the plain fact that the Bible was not given through a single prophet, apostle, or holy man of old in English. The KJV translators were great classical scholars. Their work has been tested by time, critique, and use. But they were not Bible believing independent fundamental Baptists.

Some were quite romish in their doctrinal leanings and all were either active or passive participants in the persecution of biblical fundamentalists.

5. natters

natters New Member

I really like C4K's answer. Short, simple, and exactly right. [​IMG]

The moment someone tries to name/hold any single exclusive document as "the final authority",they create more problems than they think they're solving.

6. David J

David J New Member

C4K stole my answer! [​IMG]

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Neither can you. There is no AV1611 apograph, there were two “First Editions” of the AV1611 (Cambridge, Oxford) both with differences continuing on to this day. There have been several revisions/editions of the KJV with hundreds of differences collectively between them and a several hundred year history of corrections. Differences are differences whether one or 400 or 4000 in number, whether "big" or "small" in quality. God is no more capable of one or many “little” errors than He is one or many big ones. </font>[/QUOTE]So what? This is of no significance and has no bearing on the validity of my argument. Do you understand my argument? Do you know what we mean by the “logic of faith.” If so, restate my position.

Canonization was incomplete at various times. If your post is a valid refutation of my position, then the same argument is also a valid refutation of canonization and we really don’t know which books need to be in the Bible. Perhaps we lost some. Thank about it. do you really want to take that position?

May I suggest that you have listened to too many wannabe theologians who taught you this pabulum? I can’t swallow it because I must think for myself. What about you?
    Since things which are different cannot be the same which of the following revisions of the AV1611 is the “authoritative Scriptures" 1613, 1629, 1638, 1644, 1664, 1701, 1744, 1762, 1769, or 1850?

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ibid. See above.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

God's Word is my final authority. certain translations I rely on are ESV,NASB, KJV,and NIV in that order.We do not have the original autographs in any language so we have to rely on the best scholarship available.Any of the above versions are suitable. I would like a parallel Bible of these 4 translations.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Then, it follows that you don't know which document is the "final authority." So,in effect, you have no "final authority." It is rather like arguing about quarks; no one has ever observed one.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Wonderful! It seems that you get to decide what is God's Word for any partiuclar passage. Now, please kindly explain to me how you are under that authority of God's Word if you get to pick and coose among four (4) variants of what may be God's Word. Somehow, my poor mind cannot make the leap. Please help me.

11. natters

natters New Member

Not at all. I do have a final authority. I simply do not believe a single document is that final authority - for that implies there was no authority before that document was produced. Geddit???

12. natters

natters New Member

Um, isn't this EXACTLY what you are doing yourself? You personally and subjectively pick one translation above all others! Why do YOU get to decide what is God's word for any particular passage? How are you under that authority of God's Word if you get to pick and coose among all the variants of what may be God's Word?

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should I? I gave you an answerable question. But you can't/won't answer my objections but bring forth the usual "if you only understood you would understand" along with the usual claims to irrelevance.

Repeat:Since things which are different cannot be the same which of the following revisions of the AV1611 is the “authoritative Scriptures" 1613, 1629, 1638, 1644, 1664, 1701, 1744, 1762, 1769, or 1850?

It really is quite simple the answer must be one of the following : None of them, some of them, or all of them.

This "differences" issue is one of the focal arguments that the radical KJVO bring forth, that the MVs differ from the KJV as well as amongst themselves and this is the selfsame argument that can be brought against the King James Bible. It differs even amongst the several revisions/editions bearing the KJV title and is therefore of utmost relevance.

Your rebutal is an obvious smokescreen to sidestep the fact that you cannot answer.

And if I would give you a definition (assuming I could give you one that is correct in your estimation) of the "logic of faith", why would the logic of your faith be any better than mine and if it was how could you prove it?

HankD

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked if I thought for myself. Yes I do, I don't let Anglo-Catholic priests and Bishops do it all for me but apparently you do. That is of course you can tell me which revision of the KJV is "authoritative" every "jot and tittle".

HankD

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Which the Word of God is your final authority?

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

WHICH the Word of God?

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Ok, let us look at one word, "valid." If a valid version is the Word of God, is it valid if 10,000 uninspired words in a bible version are not the Word of God?

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, let us look at one word, "valid." If a valid version is the Word of God, is it valid if 10,000 uninspired words in a bible version are not the Word of God? </font>[/QUOTE]If you are using an English Bible it doesn't have one inspired word in it... unless you count the transliterations and ignore the different means of spelling.

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I second that. [​IMG]