1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question: 27 books...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by PeterMeansRock, Dec 14, 2005.

1. NarnianSoldier

NarnianSoldier New Member

In fact, Revelation was doubted by many.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

NarnianSoldier,

You have to believe that God has his hand in writing, publishing, and releasing the Bible.

He has used men to write the Bible so we can read/learn and understand his Word.

If you believe anything at all, then you would know that with God all things are possible. If the Bible was suppose to have 28 books in the NT, God would have put them there.

Since there are 66 Books of the Bible, then the answer would be, that is all the books God wanted in the Bible. Period.

Nothing is possible without God, so nothing is "lost". Just as it was during creation, God has his hand on the pulse of men. Today, Yesterday and Forever, God is in Control of ALL things.

Jamie

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes

Yes, and each church still has them. An overseer is a bishop, and it is the office of pastor or elder in the church.

Yes, apostolic authority is always binding from outside the church. Today, that comes down to us in the NT, not from other churches or people outside the local church.

For leadership. Each church needs leadership and so each church has at least one bishop, or pastor, for that task.

4. NarnianSoldier

NarnianSoldier New Member

Forgive my ignorance, but where does the bible say that?

How does one become a bishop? Can anyone just ordain themselves or have their friend ordain them?

Huh?

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

NarnianSoldier,

A couple of questions for you....

1. Do you believe anything is possible WITHOUT God?

2. Do you believe God is NOT in complete control of everything that has or will happen, Today, Yesterday, or Tomorrow?

If you answer NO to these questions, then you have answered your first question in this Thread. God put all the books in the Bible, nothing more, nothing less.

If you answer Yes to these questions, then Who are things Possible though other than God and Who is in Control?

Jamie

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Then maybe they should re-read the last book in the Bible:

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book

So you're saying God stopped using men back in the "older" days? You're saying that he isn't using men today? 1st, 16th, 20th century. God is still using men today. He didn't stop.. He didn't take a break... He has always, and will always be using men to share his Word and Love.

Jamie

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Not that I think they belong in the Bible, but those "missing" seven books were written well before the book of the Revelation was written. That's a fallacious argument.

8. riverm

riverm New Member

Rev 22:18, was John speaking of the “Book” as the Bible, that wasn’t even in existence at the time of his writing or was John speaking of the “Book” as in Revalation?

My parents are IFB and claim that Rev 22:18 is a claim to the KJV and that the other modern Bibles are in contradiction to Rev. 22:18.

Blessings

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "organized visible" institution went on to compromise after compromise until it eventually presided over the atrocities of the dark ages.

The "Apostacy" predicted in the church in 2Thess 2 -- happened. (Surprise surprise)

And it came about as the outgrowth of the "principle of apostacy" identified by Paul as coming from WITHIN the church.

This predicted apostacy AND the the predicted arise of error FROM WITHIN the church brought fear to the heart of Paul as he observed the inclination to "drift" and to "assume all will be well".

And "obviously" we all "SEE" the dark ages!!

Thank GOD for the reformation and the light it brought back into the Christian church!!

That great awesome 1260 year span of apostasy and persecution is shown in Rev 12 as being a continued successor of the SAME power that tried to kill Christ at his birth.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a bad assumption posted -- the idea that the NT saints had no Bible!!

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Speaking of scripture - what authorotative role to you see the NT saints giving "Scripture" in their presentation of doctrine and practice?

Do they say "wait for 400 years and maybe then we will have some Bible to read"??

12. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi Bob,
    I should have made myself clearer, in regard to the title of the thread “27 books”. I was speaking of the NT, but actually the Bible as you and I hold in our hands. I don’t dispute the Hebrew Cannon (Torah, the Law & the Pentateuch), which was established between the sixth and fourth centuries B.C., which was authoritative for all Jews at the time and your scripture quotes are in regard to the Hebrew Cannon.

Blessings

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Incorrect. The Bible was always 66 books. The early church did not accept the Apocrypha as Scripture. The RCC departed from Scripture at that point.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

In the NT, you see no one but apostles having authority in a local church. There is no example of a contrarian situation.

They desire it (1 Tim 3:1). They are examined by the local church (1 Tim 5). Then they are ordained by the local church. No, they can't ordain themselves and a friend cannot ordain them either.

Huh?</font>[/QUOTE]Huh? What?

I am sniffing out here that you are a Catholic who probably joined the board under disguise in order to circumvent the rules. Have you been dishonest in joining this board? Were you previously banned for lying on your application to join this board?

15. riverm

riverm New Member

Where do the rules specifically state that “Catholics” are NOT allowed to join this free community?

16. BrianH

BrianH Guest

I need answers to this, do not start banning again. There has to be someone who can answer these questions and if the Baptists at this board cannot...who can?

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Deciding who gets banned and who don't isn't the user's choice. This is a private forum. We, the users don't pay for bandwidth, we choose to be here on our own free will. No one forces us to agree or even like the decisions made by the owners of this board.

Now, saying that, I agree that Catholics in general should not be banned, but given that NarnianSoldier or PeterMeansRock (which I believe to be the same person) didn't seem interested in finding the answer to the question of this thread, and I believe he was just asking to "stir the pot" as they say.

Also, if PeterMeansRock was banned for a reason, and then he signed up under the screen name NarnianSoldier, then I believe a ban would be warranted.

Again, it's not our choice, it's the choice of the people the own and run this board. WE as users are free to stay or go, we are not free to decide who is or isn't banned.

One other thing, this conversation is completely Off Topic so we should either start another thread, or just leave it in the hands on the owners/board moderators.

Jamie

18. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi Jamie,

You been to the “Bible Versions/Translations” board yet? Talk about “stirring the pot” or how about the “Politics” board? None that participate on those boards are interested in finding the answer, especially the KJVO crowd. They will question each other’s salvation and call each other heretics. Threads are closed as quickly as they’re started and the whole board has been on the verge of being shut down on more than one occasion. Are the KJVO crowd banned?

This isn’t a “private forum” no dues are paid for by the members, this is a free community board, open to all denominations or we think. Granted the Webmaster owns and pays for this site, and he can ban whomever he deems fit, but when you single out a certain denomination and ban them for no reason other than being Catholic, then that my friend is wrong and it’s called prejudice!

Nowhere in the agreement did you see that Catholics are not allowed to participate in the “Other Christian Denominations” board. Also, PeterMeansRock did nothing that warranted his suspension. He did nothing that was in direct violation of the agreed upon contract. He was banned simply for being a Catholic, nothing more, and nothing less.

If Catholics are banned from the Baptist Board, then BB needs to step-up and post an official warning that no Catholics are welcomed and therefore will be banned and stop hiding behind these weak excuses.

Blessings

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok so here is the deal. ALL agree that the NT saints had Bibles - had scripture and they all knew what it was.

We all agree that the 27 books of the NT were ALSO written IN the liftetime of John. We all agree that Peter, James, John, Paul were guiding and directing the church (along with the group in Jerusalem Acts 15) so "they knew" as the 27 letters of the NT were being written that they were inspired.

Any "spurious" books/letters would have been approved/rejected by the NT apostles IN Their liftime!

This is beyond dispute.

So the only point of "darkness" is what happens in the 2nd and 3rd century. It is only as the errors and superstitions creep IN that there is need to "Certify" that which was ALREADY APPROVED. To uncover and clearly state WHAT HAD ALREADY been accepted!

Clarification and removal of superstition and error is what we see the reformers (The Catholic reformers as they were being cast out of the RCC) doing. That same work of clarifying and restoring standards that had been lost was being done in the 4th and 5th centuries with the New Testament.

But it is no more correct to say that those 4th century councils were "inventing acceptance of the 27" for the first time - than it is to say that "Justification by faith" did not exist until Martin Luther restored it!

In Christ,

Bob

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What answers are you looking for that have not been given?