1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about an online school

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Carolina Baptist, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Right off the bat, I notice a few red flags:

1) No accredidation. Even the program they advertise as "accredited" is not accredited by any well-known organization. Some of their FAQ answers about accredidation are misleading. I'm not saying that a school has to be RA or even TRACS, but why not just be real up front about what they are and what they are not?

2) Self-graded work. Ok, so this guarantees that no respectable school will look twice at your transcript. This also doesn't give you a whole lot of accountability or critical evaluation.

3) You can buy ordination. Granted, the ordination is through their Global Church Fellowship, which you have to join $$$, but still, this is not an ordination proceedure that is recognized by any Baptist church I am familiar with.

4) Non-Baptist doctrinal statement. There are some aspects of the doctrinal statement that most Baptists would not agree with, primarily, the gifts of the Spirit and the emphasis of the universal church over the local church.

3. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Thanks Lagardo

I was afraid of that.
    I was looking to cut some costs.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

They claim accreditation when they do not hold real accreditation.

In short don't walk, but RUN from this school. Think of this school as the flu or something and get away from it! :laugh:

If you need a good online program that is not so expensive look into Luther Rice University or Temple Baptist Seminary. Also I don't know how far away you are from Matthews (NC) but Southern Evangelical Seminary is there. Maybe you could look into their programs as well.

#4 Martin, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probably a good rule of thumb to automatically avoid the "colleges" without .edu. You can't get a .edu domain without some form of USDE-recognized accreditation.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sample course is Sunday-School level. This is not undergraduate work.

7. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Re: Ames College

I e-mailed them a while back about what they believed in reference to gifts of the Spirit. I could look if (intrestred) for the e-mail. If I am not mistaken their reply was they believe in tongues . I downloaded a few courses and came across it thoe they did not directly say it in one of the lessons I then e-mailed them. I think the school is Pentecostal .

#7 Ehud, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

For a very good online degree check out BH Carroll Theological Institute BGCTI.org - they have now been around about three years, have just been certified by the Texas Higher Education Board and can begin granting masters degrees (the requirments for the Texas Board are very close to SACS, who they will be seeking certification from). The proffs are from SWBTS and are excellent professors. The cost of an education from BH Carroll is very reasonable.

Good Luck!

9. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Are you sure about that? Bob Jones has used .edu for a long time and are just now getting accreditation.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many schools were "grandfathered" in. Current regulations require accreditation, but those schools already with the .edu domain are allowed to keep the .edu.