1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured question about bfm 2000 afirmation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know enough about all those groups to know. If the church was affiliated somehow it would have to hold very similar views. Most independent Baptist groups would just be out of the loop because of their view on missions and the sharing of the gospel.

I could very well just as easily go to a nondenom if it was very baptistic in its doctrine. there are many of those out there.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok well thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an excellent question. What criteria do we use to evaluate a church that is not part of our denominational preference?

I experienced just such a question when I retired in 2012 and moved to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

My background is Independent Baptist of a type very similar to Squires. But there were no such churches in the Valley. There were a couple of IFB churches but they were radical KJVO, and had other characteristics I was not prepared to endure.

So we looked at SBC churches. We found one that took essentially the same position as we did on most things. It was even more conservative than many of the IFB churches I was familiar with in the north. There were a couple areas where we disagreed and upon meeting with the pastor we agreed we could work, worship, and witness together without resorting to arguments regarding those disagreements. I agreed not to become a focal point for dissension, and he agreed not to make an issue of the disagreement from the pulpit. We get along fine. In fact I preached all 3 English services this past Sunday.

By the way, our church's doctrinal allegiance is to the 1963 Baptist Faith and Message. I do admit I do not agree with it 100% but it is close enough that we can work together.

In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity. (Rupertus Meldenius, 1627)

• Winner Winner x 2