1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Bible translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ajg1959, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Ed Sutton has established himself as the utmost authority on BB when it comes to bible translations.

Should we take his word that EVERY translation is the inspired word of God?

He gets upset when anybody questions the authority of a new translation, so I want to know what you think.

Is Ed Sutton right? Is every translation an inspired word of God?

What about the differences in translations? If one says one thing and the other says something else, or leaves the verse out at all, then which is right?

Can both translations, with different interpretations, be right?

I personally think that when two sides differ on any issue that only one is right to God.

What do you think?

AJ

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Translations are not inspired - none of them are. Translations are just that - translations of the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. But there are different manuscripts -- some earlier and some that are dated later. This is where the disputes come in, because the KJ is based on the later manuscripts and the modern versions on the earlier (for the most part).

There's more to it than that, but that is the main difference as far as the KJV and NKJV go vs. NIV, NAS, ESV, etc.

Yes, of course. No doctrine is affected by the differences in any of the Bible translations (I am not including here the "translations" made by cults which are altered to fit their views).

The differences are minor. The deity of Christ, his bodily resurrection, the atonement, etc. are in all translations.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Ed’s got a few years on me, I guess that makes him wiser. :smilewinkgrin:

I always thought his position was a bit strange...

…but the more I study the versions, the more I find myself bending toward his view.

Some wise men once wrote:

Nice to have you back AJ!

Rob

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I agree with Marcia who agrees with Ed.:1_grouphug:

5. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I posted this on another thread. It pretty much states my view on this topic.

Different verses, missing or contained, in a Bible translation, are either SUPPOSED to be there as inspired by the Holy spirit or NOT supposed to be there. It doesn't matter which text you prefer for a Bible translation, one is either RIGHT or it is WRONG. You can't have BOTH being right. God either inspired those words, and they should BE in there, or He didn't and they shouldn't. Again, I repeat, BOTH manuscripts cannot be correct.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with Bill who agrees with Marcia who agrees with Ed. :D

While it is true that two manuscripts that differ greatly cannot both be right, by using ALL of the manuscript evidence that we have, we can pretty confidently assemble the Word of God as He has given it to us. Those differences can be of various kinds - obvious scribal errors (spelling, copy errors, etc.), harmonization of parallel passages, missing lines of text, etc. For those portions of Scripture where we are not sure of the right choice, the proper thing to do is to put both choices in the text, which the modern versions have mostly done as well as the original KJV (but subsequent KJVs have removed the margin notes, thus making the choice where the KJV translators chose not to).

But God is so good. Not one doctrine is changed, removed or added in any of the valid Bible versions we have today. :godisgood:

7. Plain Old Bill

O.K. I get it you are absolutely correct. I am assuming you have the original manuscripts of the old and new testaments so you would know for sure. Please go ahead, enlighten us who have only been exposed to copies of the original manuscripts warts and all.:flower:

8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with Annsi who agrees with Bill who agrees with Marcia who agrees with Ed.

But the fact is, it is Ed who agrees with me. :D

I hope and pray that no one here would ever agree with something just because some else does. There are translations that I do not care for and others I really like. But that is because of how they minister to me personally.

9. Plain Old Bill

Well! I agree with you.:cool:

10. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Are you sure he said that? Could you be mistaking Ed Sutton for some one else on the BB?

11. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

There is another possibility: both manuscripts could be INcorrect.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well that's a scary thought. If that's true, then basically we have no inspired scripture.

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you Rob, and I know this is off topic, but I do appreciate al of the prayers that helped me through the hardest time of my life

Thanks to you and the support of others here on the BB, even Ed, God answered the prayers you all prayed, and I am still here, my wife and son are sleeping next to me, and I am here with my home church with folks that love me and support me.

Thank you and everyone for your prayers

AJ

PS...being back to debate on the BB has helped me also, and I love all of you, even the "progressives" that I argue with.:godisgood:

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Ann, that all sounds good, but, should we just trust a new version cause it sounds good or is easy to read?

How do we determine that it expresses the Word of God the way God intends?

If there are variations, then which one is correct?

AJ

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

No Bill, I dont have the answer, I am asking the question.

And you do bring up a good point, with all of the different translations out there, who knows what is the true Word of God. (Except Ed, he knows of course)

AJ

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I am not mistaken. I love Ed, and he is wise when it comes to the Bible, but yes, he has done loads of research on translations,

And he gets riled up when anyone questions a modern translation.

Granted, he does know his history of the Bible.

But my question is this, when two translations give different accounts, which one is right?

I will have to look up exactly what scriptures I am referring to, but I know for a fact that some MV's change the name of Jesus to God. I do realize that Jesus was God in the flesh, but I also believe that the Trinity exists in 3 persons, else Jesus wouldnt have prayed to God himself. When you change the word from "Jesus" to "God" you can change the whole context of the scripture.

AJ

#16 ajg1959, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

AJ, I think you mean Ed Edwards.

I'm glad you're doing so well! :thumbsup:

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with John who agrees with Annsi who agrees with Bill who agrees with me who agrees with Ed. I think I left someone out. :laugh:

We can tell what the original manuscripts are from the copies.

If you had thousands of copies of an original, but not the original, you could, too, if you had a few centuries.

The only differences are spellings of names and places, some numbers, and a few verses that have extra words. But none of this is significant to anything in the Bible - we have all the important stuff intact.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

AJ, first of all, glad to know you are doing so much better and that things are looking up for you! I can tell by how you "sound" in your postings. :thumbs:

I know you are addressing Ann, but let me say this: The modern versions are actually based on older manuscripts than the King James, which is based on later manuscripts.

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you Marcia, I lost my inquisitive debating spirit for a few months, but I am back now.

Actually, debating with you guys about Bible and spirtitual issues is the best therapy for me. It makes me think, and lets me express myself in constructive ways. And helps me focus on God, instead of the negative things around me.

You guys keep me out of trouble

AJ

#20 ajg1959, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.