1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about gays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Tcassidy,

I don't have a Greek lexicon, but I looked it up in Websters and it simply says, "a castrated male, esp. one formerly employed by oriental rulers as a harem gaurd or palace official".

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Ugh. Are you suggesting the Bible condones mutilating oneself "for God"? :eek:

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen! For once we agree!

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I disagree. My reaction is more: ". . ."

Additionally, I killed this thread once, and I can do it again! [​IMG]

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

There is another way to look at this. Whether a person is homosexual or heterosexual; they both have desires that can lead to sin. A hetereosexual is sinning when he/she engages in premarital sex or adultry. A homosexual has urges which can also lead to sin. According to the Bible, it is not right to have sexual relationships with another of the same sex, so therefore, marriage is not the answer for a homosexual.

My point is that any person can have desires and choose to sin or choose not to sin, regardless of where the "desires" came from, or whether a man has a desire is for the married woman next door, or another man.

We may be made in God's image, and God may have made us sexual creatures, but even what we think of as healthy sexual desire can lead to sin. This is why we marry. If a person can control that desire, then marriage may not be their path, just like Paul.

God's image or not, we can have evil desires. I am certain that when Jesus was tempted by Satan, He had a desire, but He did not act on that desire--He pushed it away.

I also think that "dwelling" on a desire can also be sin. Like an old pastor once said, "You may not keep a bird from landing on your head, but you can sure keep it from building a nest there."

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Great points Philip!

[​IMG]

This is a complex issue. Homosexuality in most cases is not just a decision to engage in a sinful lifestyle. Rather it involves learned behaviors, subconscious desires, and sexual energy. For most homosexuals it is a mixture of "nature and nurture".

One thing is clear - homosexual activity is sin!

I think we should try to be sensitive to those who claim to have homosexual feelings. We should recognize that this may be a real and dangerous temptation for them. The worst thing we can do is (citing Romans 1:26-27) to say, "well these feelings are just the result of your own sins." These people need prayer and support to deal with these temptations.

And like Phillip said - how many of us have not been tempted by the opposite sex? Thankfully we have (with God's grace) resisted the temptations.

7. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

I have copied from a couple different posts. And in combining these as I have, I have a concern to voice. Since homosexuals and their supporters are working so hard to legitimize homosexuality, once they get that legitimized, what will prevent others from trying to get pedophilia, bestiality, and other perversions legitimized under the same reasoning? God has said homosexuality is an abominations, as well as these other perversions, yet if the homosexuals aren't allowed to pursue happiness with their partner without being given the right acceptance and rights as heterosexual people, then they say they are being discriminated against. If they (the homosexuals) win that fight, will the pedophiles rise up and demand their rights to be able to pursue their happiness in sexual relationships with minors (children, teens, etc.)? And what about those other groups out there practicing bestiality, and other perversions? Will they too demand the same rights?

This is my concern. I don't dislike the people, just their lifestyles.

NomadsWife

8. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Paul said men and women engage in sexual perversion because they have been given over to depraved minds and because they changed the use of man into that which is not natural. That absolutely proves that there is nothing natural about sodomy and therefore it's cause cannot possibly be genetic.

In spite of what is commonly preached, Paul did not say that a sodomite has been given over to a depraved mind any more than any other sinner - all sin is the product of our depraved natures.

Frankly, I don't see what all the discussion is about, unless it be, on the one hand, to moly-coddle those who have chosen this unatural and depraved way of life or, on the other hand, for some to feel like they are not as depraved as others.

Mark Osgatharp

9. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Romans 2 does not by any means allow us to conclude homosexuality has no genetic contribution. The only conclusion we can draw is that when we entertain forbidden desires, sin results.

What makes you think that our DNA is not affected by the Fall?