1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about holidays

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Lacy Evans, May 11, 2007.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I would like to get some other worship leaders opinions on holidays and how they affect our services.

I don't know what it is that bugs me about it (perhaps a cynicism that needs to be repented of . . .perhaps a bit too much Alexander Hislop when I was young . . .Or maybe not enough Hislop) but I generally don't like having to do "holiday songs". If I had my way, I might ignore them altogether. But the older folks really expect it and enjoy it. Christmas songs, Easter songs, Mother's day songs. So this Sunday, we'll crank up "God give us Christian Homes."

I don't dislike the songs. I just feel squeezed by the expectation to do them. I can't make the connection between worship and hollidays. It feels foreign. . . pagan?

Can any one help me out. I'm just trying to sort through my feelings and thoughts.

lacy

2. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an interesting question. Holiday observances focus on one part of the gospel story. In the case of Mother's Day, Father's Day, Labor Day, etc., we are given a chance to put a Christian twist on an observance that is not ostensibly Christian.

As for the music, I can see your point. I sing in my church choir, an independent auditioned choir, and I participate regularly in Sacred Harp singings. I will admit that there are some particular Christmas songs and a few songs connected to Holy Week that I cannot stand. They do nothing for me. However, there are others that pull me into the center of the observance. The real problem for me is the repetition year after year. That is what makes the songs seem stale. I have the same problem trying to prepare Sunday School lessons for Christmas and Easter. Trying to find something fresh to say is the biggest challenge. But the effort to find something fresh can also miss the point. There is a comfort in the repetition. With all the changes that we encounter in our daily lives, we can feel relieved that there are at least some things that have not changed.

I don't think this is much of an answer for you, but I think that this is something you will have to work out for yourself. I try to keep observances like Christmas in the proper relation to the whole gospel story. They only highlight part of it, albeit very important parts. I think that our greatest danger is that we tend to get carried away, to give them too much of the wrong kind of importance. But, that is a danger we face in connection with many things. Good Luck.

Tim Reynolds