1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about PCC

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by thjplgvp, May 7, 2006.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, I wanted machine gun duty too but all they did was practice with broomsticks on the riot squad. So, I just packed my own hardware on campus without the law knowing anything. :D Sometime, I'll have to tell you about the gunfight (well, almost) at the R. K. corral..........well, actually it was on the street behind the R. K. Johnson Dormitory. I wonder how all the Barneys would have handled it.

I still say it was a great school. :applause:

[​IMG]

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My motive for posting on this thread is to give PCC a fair hearing. IMHO, most of the criticism comes from personal differences, not theological or rational issues. Although they are too hidebound and rigid for my personal tastes too, it does not make them wicked or evil. I like the folks as fellow believers and I am not ashamed to defend PCC. Furthermore, many people seem to thrive and like this highly structured environment. There are probably lurkers on this thread who really appreciate the school but they are afraid to speak out because of the spiteful outbursts of the detractors.

Let me say that I have had my share of brushes with PCC. When I failed in some minor area, they held my feet to the fire. When they failed to fulfill their obligations, I held their feet to the fire in turn and they didn’t particularly like it. Unlike some of their major critics, I did not snuggle up and stroke them when it was in my interest to do so and later malign them but I candidly spoke my mind in person even when they had some control over situations of use to me. My gripe is that people tolerate PCC’s expectations as long as it is advantageous to them and they immediately begin to vilify PCC when it can no longer benefit them personally. IMHO, this is ingratitude and knavery.

Thusly, we are insulted with a deluge of petty gripes, personal vendettas, and individual grievances against PCC on blogs, discussion boards, etc. It is the petty bickering and complaining of small people who never address the larger issues of ideas and beliefs. The problem is that PCC does have a different philosophy from most of us. They are steeped in Gothardism and it is Gothard’s aberrant view of authority that leads to the rigid hierarchical structure at PCC. Also, they hold a Traditional view of education that is shot through with moralism and classical humanism of bettering the man through discipline and self-control. Their rigid rules and absolute obedience to authority is part of their philosophy and belief, not petty power wielding, except for some of the lower functionaries.

Folks don’t criticize their philosophy—they just grumble and complain about the instances that chafe them. they try to attribute sinister motives and unfair actions to PCC. One should understand where PCC is coming from before attributing motives and purposes to their actions. In fact, one may not agree at all with their view but one may respect their right to hold said views. Actions are born of belief and viewpoint.

Before attending or working at PCC, one ought to check out and know their beliefs. However, we, too often in Christendom, accept and become entangled on a gloss of the word Christian. The thinking is: “If they’re Christian, they must be just like me and we’ll get along okay.” Wrong! There are many divergent viewpoints and behaviors within orthodox Christianity.

In sum, let’s talk about philosophies and ideas instead of the pettifogging little incidences and nitpicking annoyances of people with small ideas.

3. eyeball

eyeball New Member

While I appreciate your effort to bring an apprehension of the Bigger Picture into play here, I think it distracts from the question raised in the OP.

While petty grievances are not informative one way or another, and semi-lurid tales of how one got away with this or that while hiding it from the authority is cliche, immature rebellion, I believe tossing aside all personal interest for the sake of lofty discussions of 'philosophy' do not help one to better understand the institution and judge its appropriateness for oneself or one's children. Sure, we can talk about Gothardism, or their educational philosophy-- but what do these abstract concepts mean to the 'boots on the ground'? What is the benefit of talking about their educational traditionalism, and how does this translate to student-teacher relationships? How does this explain the little tyrranies wreaked by zealous minders of the rules? What does this mean to a high school junior looking for a school, or the parents researching institutions to send their kids?

When discussing one's alma mater, does one describe their collegiate years in such terms as 'Their educational philosophy was a bit more Scholastic than Platonic, and more than a little bit Steinerian, but they managed to employ Rousseau to an effective level. I am very happy with my collegiate education as a result." This is the realm of educators and administrators talking to each other, not alumni to concerned relatives.

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Okay. What's your point?

5. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I wasn't always Baptist. :smilewinkgrin:

In short, Saved on June 7, 1982 (25 years ago...TODAY!) in a IFB Church and in late 1983, due to a Pastoral Failure... (and...that's putting it VEEEEERY nicely...) and me changing schools... I got mixed up in Pentecostalism for 21 years. FINALLY after 21 years, 4 different Churches...(and 4 different versions of the gospel) and 4 years away from the Lord. I decided them circles and me, just couldn't continue.....and I came back to the Baptist faith. It's been one heck of a journey. But I'm growing stronger every day...

How's that for an explanation? :laugh:

-WTD

#25 TheWinDork, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Re:pCC

Well,

My grandson is home for the summer and his father (my son) has advised him not to talk about it since it does not concern him personally. I understand completely since if he is not involved directly he truly does not have all the details.

I have heard nothing more. Our church had PCC's travel group with us last year it will be interesting to see if they are back this year. That will speak volumes our pastor will not say anything publicly but who comes and who does not says volumes privately

Thanks for your thoughts and posts.

thjplgvp

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A book representative from Bob Jones Press told me last month that while he feels one can get a good education at PCC, their school of education--in his humble opinion--is nothing more than an indoctrination center for ABeka's curriculum.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As a teacher I think that is a pretty fair assessment