1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question About The Devil

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RedemptionAddiction, Oct 4, 2006.

1. RedemptionAddiction

My question has to do with the Greek word that is used many times throughout the New Testament for the words, "wickedness" or "evil." In places like 1Jn 5:19, or in the Lord’s prayer when it He says "deliver us from evil."

And I’ve looked this word up in a couple of different concordances and it seems to mean anything that is hurtful or harmful including physically like sickness or disease. But it’s actually the same word used when it refers to the devil as the wicked one, or evil one. So my question is . . .

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Does this mean that anything harmful such as sickness, sorrow, car accidents etc, ultimately is the work of the devil? Because that does seem to follow with what Jesus said about the devil in John 10:10.[/FONT]

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I wouldn't say all sickness is directly related to Satan. For example if you smoke cigarettes and get lung cancer then it would be a bit ridiculous to blame it on Satan.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The devil and "sin" (the rebellion of mankind against the Law (Word) of God) have the effect of sickness, death, disease, even aging as God points out in Gen 3.

Read Job 1 and 2 to see how Satan works in everyday life.

In Christ,

Bob