1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about the resurrection.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JeremyV, Jul 5, 2014.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

For some time a coherent understanding of the resurrection has eluded me. I am hoping that I might find some illumination here on baptistboard. Here are my issues:

"4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." (Revelation 20:4-6)

Here we see two resurrections being mentioned. My question is what the nature of these are. The two main views are that either these refer to a spiritual and a physical resurrection or a resurrection of believers and unbelievers.

We see that those that take part in the first resurrection are believers (v. 4). This would fit either interpretation. It should be noted that John says that he saw their souls and not their bodies. On the other hand, if living in verse four represents spiritual life, we must assume that living in verse five also represents spiritual life. This would lead to a conclusion of universalism, which contradicts the rest of scripture. Based on this alone I would have to go with the second interpretation, however, the Bible has more to say on the subject:

"28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." (John 5:28-29)

Here Jesus describes a resurrection of believers and unbelievers. This would seem to clinch the victory of the second interpretation, but there is a problem. The way Jesus words it, these two resurrections seem to be taking place at the same time but the verses in Revelation show a significant amount of time between the two. How do we resolve this?

I ask that you refrain from using blanket statements to attack other positions and that you provide scripture and clear arguments for your position. I am not interested in the other beliefs of the interpretation systems that may hold one view are the other unless they have direct bearing on the question at hand: What are the natures of the resurrections described in Revelation 20? (an example of a relevant issue might be the nature of the millennium described in Rev. 20) Thank you for your help.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what do you mean by spiritual and physical resurrection?

3. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

Many hold that the first resurrection mentioned in Revelation 20 refers to our souls being made alive in salvation salvation rather then our bodily resurrection. As far as I can tell, this view holds that the second resurrection is the resurrection of the body. This is usually held by amillenialists, many post-millenialists, and even a few pre-millenialists

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong thread sorry

#4 percho, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: