1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for a Marine

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found the following - is the answer correct?

Q) In the Marine Corps, specifically bootcamp, when would you say "aye sir" vs "yes sir"? Are they interchangeable?

A) Usually “Aye sir” is a response that you give to acknowledge an order given to you by your D.I. It’s somewhat like when someone tells you to do something, and you respond back with “ok”, but in this case it’s “aye sir”. On the other hand, “yes sir” and “no sir” are responses you would typically tell your D.I. when you are asked a yes or no question. I hope this helped you out. It’s the best that I can do.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to answer the other question. “Are they interchangeable?” Answer: No. Both “aye sir” and “yes sir” are both used for specific responses. You wouldn’t say “aye sir” to you D.I. if he had asked you a yes or no question, nor would you say “yes sir” to your D.I. if they had commanded you to do an order.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My son is a corporal in the marines, celebrating 2 years this spring, and he always spoke and addressed Hid DI as rank and last name!

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all this Marine would not say aye aye sir... It's not one aye, its two if its anything... And if I said this to a DI, when I was in he probably would have said which eye... And DON'T EVER say YOU!!!... That is a cardinal sin in the Corp... The response is always, do I look like a female sheep to you private?... "Aye sir" vs "yes sir"?... Are not interchangeable?... Not when I was in... Yes sir and No sir and anything less then that, you're looking for a heap of trouble son... Brother (Oorah) Glen:)

Salty I don't expect you to understand it... You're ARMY!

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a Corporal!... Not a boot!... When I was in in 1964, these rules did not apply to a boot... When I was a Corporal I called my DI by his first name... Brother Glen:)

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not - A solider would NEVER address an NCO as "Sir"
    as we (NCO"S) work for our money!!!

6. JesusFan

Boot?

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what a private is called in boot camp... Your son is no longer a boot... In a Marine Corp when I was an MP and was delivering up a prisoner to his unit... Little did I know that the unit I was delivering this prisoner back to, the officer in charge was a lieutenant, he was also a previous DI... I also saluted and called him Sir... Specifically bootcamp, Salty asked and that is what I answered... I was following orders... Brother Glen:)

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Aw, shucks Sargent, golly, Shazam.”

I suppose that really was just TV and not real.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought Gomer had a stress card and he was allowed to do that????

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. JesusFan

He is a corporal , and a Mortar man!