1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Arminians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calvibaptist, Mar 4, 2006.

1. humilis

humilis New Member

Great idea, except for one problem. The word predestination is noun form. The root form of the word in any language is always the verb form. The verb form of the word is predestine or predestinate, from "pre" (before) and "destine" or "destinate" (determine beforehand, assign for a specific end, direct toward a given destination). So, rather than being a reactionary word like your definition, it is a determining word.

More importantly, it comes from the Greek word prohoridzo, which means "to decide beforehand." It is not that God predestines because He knows what we will choose, it is that God determines beforehand what our destiny will be.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you for that reply Calvibaptist.

Yes, I know that the Greek word is proorizō as used in Eph 1:5 for example, and it means; to limit before hand, and is made up of two words, 1. Pro; which is a primary preposition; fore, as "in front of"
    2. horizō; which is to mark out or bound and is where we get our word "horizon”. This word actually comes from, the Greek word "horion" and means a boundary line

According to Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, (W.E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, William White, Jr. Thomas Nelson Publishers) this word is a verb, and is distinguished from proginosko, which is "to foreknow"

proginosko; to know before, is a Verb. Used in Acts 26:5, Romans 11:2, 8:29, 1 Peter 1:20, 2 Peter 3:17

prognosis: a foreknowledge, is a Noun. Used in Acts 2:23, 1 Peter 1:2.

Foreknowledge is one of the aspects of God's omniscience. As Vine's puts it, if we look at
    Acts 15:18 "Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world."

To quote Vines, "God's foreknowledge involves His electing grace, but does not preclude human will. He foreknows the exercise of faith which brings salvation."

I am learning a great deal in this exercise, and I thank you all for the challenging post. I am not saying that this word is reactionary at all. I am saying that God looks at as “now” what we look at as “future”. God is not surprised by our salvation or by the rejections of it. The point I was aiming for is not that God decides for us or that we decide for ourselves (free will verses sovereign will), but that either of these does not release us from doing what we are told, and that is sharing the Gospel so that others hear it. I look forward to your replies.

In Christ Service,

Humilis

2. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

You make an excellent point. Both sides of this issue go back and forth arguing very important points of theology. But it does not matter what we believe if we do not obey what we know to be God's will. What we know is that Jesus has made us His ambassadors to plead with men to be reconciled to God. What we know is that God has determined that people get saved through the preaching of the gospel. What we know is that we have been sent to preach.

Fore-ordination and Foreknowledge precludes none of this but includes it. In fact, we are not only under obligation to proclaim the gospel, but it is our great desire to see God glorified through many coming to worship at His feet. This is what has driven the mission's movement from its inception with the Apostle Paul.

3. humilis

humilis New Member

Thank you again, Calvibaptist. I agree, we are under an obligation, not just because I am command to go but because it is a desire of my heart to share. Thank you all for your well thought out responses.

In Christ Service,

Humilis