1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Calvinists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Mar 4, 2006.

1. quickened1

quickened1 New Member

Boy, you sure don't know the context of Romans 9, do you? Are you suggesting that the vessels for dishonor, also described as vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, that are molded by the potter in Romans 9:21-22 are believers? That is probably the best example of bad exegesis in order to fit your beliefs that I have ever heard. </font>[/QUOTE]Hey CalviBap.

It seems to me since we are all born depraved and in Adam's image that we are all born vessels of dishonour. The only way to become a vessel of honour is through the new birth. God did not predestinate in eternity who would become vessels of honour. He predestined those that would believe to be conformed to the image of the Son. That is what Me4Him is saying I think. That God molds the believer into the image of his Son. Of course God doesnt mold the unbeliever into that image.

2. humilis

humilis New Member

I am not as wise as all of you. However, I have not found a command for us to pray for the salvation of others, but I know that Paul prayed that way;

Romans 10:1; “Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that
    they might be saved.”

Paul prayed for the salvation of Israel. Also, we are told to pray for them that use us. What are we to pray, that they not use us any more? Or, that God might forgive them?

Matthew 5:44; “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.”

Did not Jesus also ask that the Father forgive the ones who crucified Him? (Luke 23:34) What kind of forgiveness did Jesus ask the Father for, a partial forgiveness? Or, was it a complete forgiveness? Salvation?

James also tells us of praying for the sick, that sins might be forgiven;

James 5:15; “And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.”

This question of "predestination" is one for the ages...lol

Really, to whom is it predestination? By definition, if we break this word down, is it not “pre” (before) “Destination” (arrival point)? Isn't the Word of God really telling us, that God knew our point of arrival before we did?
    It is not predestination to God, it is NOW! Moreover, it is fact. I feel God places things (people, trees, animals) within the framework of time for our understanding, not His. He is timeless and sees the big picture. I know that the many of you who are wiser and more gifted then I will pick this apart, so be it. We must be careful, that we do not try to explain God using our attributes, but must instead use the attributes of God to explain who and why we are.
    We are mandated to share the Gospel. We do not provide salvation, God does. If God knows who is to be saved, that fact does not release us from our responsibility to share. We give ourselves far to much credit. We are to do what God ask us to do no matter what the world or other Christian feel we should do. If God is God, then He must know all things. If there is something that God does not know, then we are in deep trouble.

In Christ humble Service,

Humilis